View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 07:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Citations Please ??

I'm not saying that the posters in this thread are wrong, but I'm not very comfortable with some of the answers.

I believe that when the three-point goal was first introduced, officials did have to distinguish between a three-point try (three points), and an "alley oop" pass that happened to go in (two points). I also believe that we had to give two points to a ball that was shot from behind the three-point arc, but was touched (blocked, tipped, etc.) by a defensive player who was inside the three-point line.

Haven't those original three-point arc rules changed since then? I believe that an "alley opp" pass that happens to go in is now three points, and I also believe that a a ball that was shot from behind the three-point arc, and was touched (blocked, tipped, etc.) by a defensive player who was inside the three-point line, now counts as three-points.

I'm pretty sure that a full court shot that bounces on the court behind the three-point arc and goes in is only two points, beczause it's not a try.

I'm not 100% sure of my understanding of these situations, so, citations, please.