The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Folks, just a reminder. If you'd like me to pass along your proposals, they must be written out as they will appear in the rule book. I can't pass along "make the FT spaces the same as NCAA" or "standardize the NCAA and HS rules for hair control devices" to the NFHS Rules Committee.

If you would like your idea to receive consideration, please type it out as it would actually appear in the rule book, with the rule citation; and include citations for any rules or cases that your new rule would affect. Thanks.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
What a PITA

So here's my request, rewritten to meet your special needs:

NO F'ING CHANGES!!!!!
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 05:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Or perhaps we should just encourage the kids to stop fouling so the inequities are erased.
Why don't we just allow all contact and change the name of the game to Lacrosse?
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

OK:

1a. 10-6 Penalty: Amend 3 to read "Bonus Free throw beginning with the 7th team foul each half whether or not the first free throw is successful." Then, amend 4 to read "Two free throws if intentional or flagrant, or for all fouls beginning with the 10th team foul, plus ball for throw-in."

1b. Amend 10-6 Penalty 1 to add "f. At any point when the offended (fouled) team has the right to shoot one or more free throws, at the option of the captain or coach, the team may choose to resume play with a throw-in. This option is available until the first free throw is administered."

2. Change 5-9-3 to read as follows: "Grants a player's oral or visual or a head coach's visual request for a time out..."

3. (I'll get this later)

4. Amend Rule 1, Section 13 Article 3 to add the following: "Penalty -- for either a lack of a coaching box or an incorrectly laid box: Technical foul is assessed to the home team to begin the game. This foul shall also be indirectly charged to the head coach. No technical foul shall be charged to a designated home team not playing in its customary home location (example, tournament)."

5. Amend Rule 9, Section 1, Article 4 to read: "The restrictions ... apply until the ball is released by the thrower."

These may not be the optimum wording for each change, which is why I don't really understand the need for exact wording, but here you go. I do, however, think this is a good exercise to dive into the rule book and make sure you are aware of where all rules are referenced.

I'll amend later with case citations.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
You really are masochistic.
Clarify masochistic for me. Because, as I read it defined in the dictionary. I do not like the way it comes across.

Do you mean:

a sexual perversion characterized by pleasure in being subjected to pain or humiliation especially by a love object.

pleasure in being abused or dominated : a taste for suffering .
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Amend 3-5-3a to read Headbands or hair control devices must be white or a single solid color similar to the torso of the jersey and must be the same color for each item and all participants. Only one item is permitted on the head and on each wrist. Items must be mositure-absorbing, nonabrasive and unaforned (except for logo, see 3-6
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie

a sexual perversion characterized by pleasure in being subjected to pain or humiliation especially by a love object.

pleasure in being abused or dominated : a taste for suffering .
Oh, you sweet talker, you.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 10:14pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
My rule book is in my duffel, which is in the car, which is outside, which is 10 degrees, and the dogs are all done, so the citation will have to come later.

The penalty for not immediately returning to the floor after a throw-in shall be a violation. This would not affect other instances of not immediately returning to the floor and would be akin to the change in penalty for leaving the court.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
Clarify masochistic for me.

a taste for suffering .
THis is all I meant, nothing more. Someone who enjoys pain, as in, more uniform rules to think about. Ugh.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
THis is all I meant, nothing more. Someone who enjoys pain, as in, more uniform rules to think about. Ugh.
Ok, Got it!!!!
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Oh, you sweet talker, you.
Come on !! Garth
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 11:45pm
Administrator

Whistle for soccer officials.

I know, I know, we are supposed to be talking about basketball, BUT:

"Daryl the Preacher" and I were officiating in the Paulding (Ohio) Knights of Columbus Annual Special Olympics Basketball Tournament this past Saturday and a fan had a very unique whistle which he sound each time his team would score a field goal.

Now many of you know that I officiated NFHS fut bol from 1993 until 2006. and many of you know that I do not always see eye to eye with soccer officials (only the ones that only officiate soccer) about many things regarding sports officiating.

Getting back to the whistle this past weekend. I belive that the NFHS should adopt this whistle and the mandatory whistle for all H.S. soccer officals. The whistle makes this lovely sounding steam locomotive train whistle. I think it would be great if H.S. soccer officials had to use this whistle. I think it would do great things to improve their stature in the eyes of their fellow sports officials.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 11:46pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Folks, just a reminder. If you'd like me to pass along your proposals, they must be written out as they will appear in the rule book. I can't pass along "make the FT spaces the same as NCAA" or "standardize the NCAA and HS rules for hair control devices" to the NFHS Rules Committee.

If you would like your idea to receive consideration, please type it out as it would actually appear in the rule book, with the rule citation; and include citations for any rules or cases that your new rule would affect. Thanks.

Chuck:

Its good to hear from you. I hope you have had a good season.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 01:34am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I'm kinda liking the ncaa line up on FTs
Best rule change in years... Has cleaned up fouls on FTs immensely! Would be a good adoption for the HS game I think.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 01:35am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
That means that if a technical is called, you "freeze" the game, take the shots, then resume the game where you left off. I think that makes sense, since a technical is something that takes place "outside" the normal playing of the game.
Agreed -- this would be a positive change as well. Since we now have POI on double fouls it appears that we have established that HS officials can handle it!