The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

TV game ..........yikes

Game of the week, Comcast sports in Chicago, Public league game, which is still two man.

Tip to blue team and they drive for an easy layup, white then misses, blue scores again.

White next has a violation under their basket. Suddenly, the trail runs in and there is a huddle. Officials then walk over to coaches for a brief discussion.

Yup, they were going the wrong way from the opening tip. By the way, this game is available ON DEMAND for your viewing pleasure for the rest of the month in the Chicago area OUCH!!!!!!

I must confess, being away from my books, how do you handle this?

They kept the score as is 4-0 blue team and marched down to the other end to White's proper basket and resumed play.

Last edited by fullor30; Wed Jan 16, 2008 at 11:53am.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30

They kept the score as is 4-0 blue team and marched down to the other end to White's proper basket and resumed play.
We've talked a bit about this one around here lately, but you handle it just as it was handled here.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

The officials got it right per 5.2.1 Sit F. Although I probably would have kept the throw-in at the end of the court where the violation occurred.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Game of the week, Comcast sports in Chicago, Public league game, which is still two man.

Tip to blue team and they drive for an easy layup, white then misses, blue scores again.

White next has a violation under their basket. Suddenly, the trail runs in and there is a huddle. Officials then walk over to coaches for a brief discussion.

Yup, they were going the wrong way from the opening tip. By the way, this game is available ON DEMAND for your viewing pleasure for the rest of the month in the Chicago area OUCH!!!!!!

If I understand correctly, Blue scores twice, after 2nd made basket, White violates... If this is the case then the baskets stand for blue, violation stands on white, should be Blue's ball for a throw-in nearest spot of violation.

Before ball is put back in play making sure all parties know which basket is theirs.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Just the way they handled it. When they noticed the wrong direction, they set everyone the right way. All scores, fouls and other actions basically count and you go to the point the ball would have been without the mess up and have the players go in the proper direction. I believe that is exactly what they did.

BTW, I know one of the officials pretty well that was working the game. I will have to give him a little crap when I see him next time.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Just the way they handled it. When they noticed the wrong direction, they set everyone the right way. All scores, fouls and other actions basically count and you go to the point the ball would have been without the mess up and have the players go in the proper direction. I believe that is exactly what they did.

BTW, I know one of the officials pretty well that was working the game. I will have to give him a little crap when I see him next time.

Peace
I was 80% sure on that, just wanted confirmation
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
I was 80% sure on that, just wanted confirmation.

This would make a great new ad for Southwest airlines for their on going theme "Want to get away?"

Last edited by fullor30; Wed Jan 16, 2008 at 12:06pm.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 12:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking

Quote:
I was 80% sure on that, just wanted confirmation
I just wanted to make sure you were clear.

I just wanted to make sure you were clear.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Dont forget that NW Indiana is included in the Chicago land. So all of us here get to watch it also.......
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Having stuff like this happen is always a good way to deflate one's head and bring an individual back down to Earth.

About 10 years ago, I observed a showcase game played at the newly opened MCI Center in downtown DC between the #1 team from Indiana and DeMatha. All of the officials for the game were newly minted college refs and may have been a bit too pleased with themselves. Anyway they had the same thing happen. Only they chose to wipe the slate clean and start over with another jump ball.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 03:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Enjoy. He'd probably do the same if it was you.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

I think his new name is Willie 'Wrong Way' Wilson.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 01:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Of course he would. That is why I want to beat him to it.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think his new name is Willie 'Wrong Way' Wilson.
How about Willie "Jim Marshall" Wilson.
Old Thu Jan 17, 2008, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Douglas "Wrong Way" Corrigan

Douglas Corrigan became a legendary aviator, not because of his accomplishments as a pilot but rather because of a supposed navigational error. In 1938, Corrigan "mistakenly" flew from New York to Ireland--when he was supposed to be flying from New York to California--because he seemingly misread his compass. For Americans, who were caught in the midst of the Great Depression, Corrigan's antic provided a great deal of humor and uplift and he became a national folk hero. To this day, Corrigan's nickname, "'Wrong Way' Corrigan," remains a stock colloquial phrase in popular culture. People use it to describe anyone who blunders and goes the wrong way, particularly in sporting events. Nevertheless, as much fun as Corrigan's incident provides, many people do not understand all the complexities of his story, nor do they appreciate the fact that he was a sound and accomplished pilot.

Corrigan was born in Galveston, Texas, on January 22, 1907. His father was a construction engineer and his mother a teacher. When Douglas was 15 months old, he was already making a name for himself; he won first prize in a local baby contest. Corrigan's father moved his family around fairly often during Douglas's childhood. Eventually, Corrigan's parents divorced and Douglas bounced from one parent to another before he settled in Los Angeles with his mother. There, he began working in the construction industry. At the time, aviation did not seem to be in his future.

Then, on a Sunday afternoon in October 1925, Douglas decided to visit a local airfield. Corrigan watched a pilot take passengers for rides in a Curtiss "Jenny" biplane. Excited at the prospect of taking his own ride, he returned the next Sunday with $2.50 in hand and persuaded the pilot to take him aloft. Flying over Los Angeles that afternoon, Corrigan was hooked; he was determined to learn to fly. The following Sunday, he returned for his first flying lesson and continued for weeks thereafter. Corrigan also spent time learning everything he could from the field's aircraft mechanics. On March 25, 1926, Corrigan made his first solo flight.

Notably, Corrigan took flight lessons at the airfield where B.P. Mahoney and T.C. Ryan, a team of well-known aircraft manufacturers, were operating a small airline. It was not long before Corrigan got a job with the two men and started working in their San Diego factory.

Shortly after Corrigan began working for Mahoney and Ryan, a new customer approached them about making a special aircraft. Charles Lindbergh wanted them to design and build the Spirit of St. Louis. Corrigan assembled the aircraft's wing and installed its gas tanks and instrument panel.

When Lindbergh made his famous transatlantic flight in May 1927, Corrigan and his coworkers were thrilled, but Corrigan's excitement did not stop there. Inspired by Lindbergh's trip, he decided that he would make his own transatlantic flight someday. Being of Irish decent, he selected Ireland as his destination.