The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

How do you get started

I am a 22 year old college graduate who just started my first full time 9-5 job. I have been umpiring baseball since I was 13 and started doing high school games when i was 18. I currently do a full Varsity schedule in baseball.

This year i decided i wanted to start to referee basketball, so i contacted our local high school association. Unfortunetly I was unable to join because modified games start at 4pm in our area, and I work until 5pm. JV and Varsity games start at 6 and later, so i know that after a few years under my belt i'm sure i will be able to work my way to that level of ball and it would work fine with my work schedule.

My problem is how do I get started if I am unable to make the 4pm modified games. I definetly know that i would need to start at that level, although i played basketball for years, i have never referee'd and know that i would need to start at the lowest level.

So my question is, how did you guys get started and were able to work around your full time job schedules. I was lucky being involved with baseball to have started while i was in college. I kinda wish i had done the same with basketball. Every year for the past few years i have said i was going to start and i just didnt for what ever reason.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 07:14pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
There may be some other types of games you can officiate. Weekend games. Younger kids' weekend games seem to be prevalent in many areas. AAU season seems to cover many of the spring months. Don't worry about what you CAN'T do. There are plenty of places you can work to build up experience around your work schedule.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 09:06pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to Moshiner1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
There may be some other types of games you can officiate. Weekend games. Younger kids' weekend games seem to be prevalent in many areas. AAU season seems to cover many of the spring months. Don't worry about what you CAN'T do. There are plenty of places you can work to build up experience around your work schedule.
I would have to agree with what he said... See about working some middle school weekend games. I know around here, a lot of middle schools do Saturday morning tournaments then you can turn around and do a JV game at night. (when you feel comfortable) Also, not knowing where you work, but maybe working from 7-3 is an option.