The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
I official 3 other sports but no spring sports. I have been told by countless people that Baseball/softball is were it is at. I was just trying to get some idea of how easy it would be to get into it.

How much of an investment is there to start..Equipment?

How long do games last?

Thats about it for now, I will be looking around later!!
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

When someone asks "how would I get started umpiring baseball"; I usually suggest they first contact the local high school association. If one can't be located through a known member, a local high school coach or AD would be able to help.

However, when someone asks "how easy it would be to get into it"; I usually suggest they try soccer.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2004, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Wink REAL easy!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by BigGref
I official 3 other sports but no spring sports. I have been told by countless people that Baseball/softball is were it is at. I was just trying to get some idea of how easy it would be to get into it.

How long do games last?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
I can hook you up with the guy that got me into it. First I was told I would be teamed with a veteran for working games and training. Oh, there was this "all you need" clinic, too. Well, the clinic was all of one hour, main emphasis was how to keep your hat on when pulling off the mask and line-up card changes. The "veteran" never materialized as my schedule for the first season was all single man Mustang(9-10's)ball. I made some MAJOR screw-ups that season, not becuase of my lack of interest(and self-destruction abuse by staying with it)but lack of training(proper, that is).

So, I found these neat internet boards and started listening, then hooked up with the high school guys and met some JUCO guys and now have some good friends working minor league ball also. After 10 seasons, I work from the 9's to the JUCO men.

Starter gear is a bit over 200 bucks, try Honigs.com after you hook up with an association....hope this helps
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by BigGref

How long do games last?

I don't know about the statement "Baseball/softball is were it is at"

You said you officiate 3 other sports and it's my gut that those sports are TIMED. For the most part Baseball / Softball are not timed sports unless there are special circumstances like lack of lights, field curfews or special tournament rules.

In football or basketball unless you have overtime, you KNOW how long you will be out there. Also, most youth basketball leagues (CYO Leagues) have what they call a continuous clock meaning the games last less than 1 hour.

I think most of us who have umpired for a while had our share of gems (games in the 1 hr 10 minute to 1 hour 20 minute range) and also the "nightmare games", meaning the marathons or those in the 3 hour and over range.

Therefore your first adjustment will be the time factor.

The BIGGEST adjustment IMO, is doing the dish. I see many new umpires Flinch, etc. meaning they are afraid behind there. Doing the Dish takes time.

As with most things in life I recommend doing it first before investing Serious Money in equipment. You might try donating your time at a local Youth game etc. just to get "your feet wet" and see if you really like it or not.

As far as equipment goes, depending upon the number of games you do, I would say that your first year you break even during the HS season.

IMO Your initial investment give or take a few bucks is in the 4 - $500 range. Just like basketball and football, one needs to buy the APPROOVED Umpire Uniform relative to their association. I also recommend buying GOOD Decent Equipment. I recommend Gerry Davis Sports. In addition I never had a problem dealing with them. My "Stuff" arrives promptly. Honigs is also good.

In addition, if you umpire in a climate that is cold even in spring, you need accessories, like a Pullover jacket, Turtlekneck undershirt, underpants, etc. to keep you warm during the cold.

The reason IMO that Baseball / Softball is where it is at is because one can umpire (even in the North) almost all year round. I am from New York and I umpire from the end of March to the end of October (HS, Summer / Fall Ball) that's 8 months. For those that live in warmer climates it's all year round.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth

In addition, if you umpire in a climate that is cold even in spring, you need accessories, like a Pullover jacket, Turtlekneck undershirt, underpants, etc. to keep you warm during the cold.

Pete Booth [/B]
So if it is warm out you don't wear underpants? Just a cup and you slacks? Thats not how it works here.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2004, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (I noticed that too when he said that)