The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I am very interested in becoming a basketball offical. I am planning to play college basketball next year, and eventually coach. I would like to get some experience officiating to help me better understand the game of basketball and gain appreciation for officials. What steps would you recommend I take to get started? Are there classes, clubs, tests I need to be involved in? I live in the Huntington Beach, CA area. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

zane,
I got my feet wet by working at our local Biddy Basketball program. You may not have this exact program but surely there is a youth sports program, YMCA, etc. that is, like ours, always looking for officials. I've found that at this level you experience a great many dynamics with coaches and fans that will do much for increasing your patience and ability to be selective in what you listen to. Also, by working through the age ranges you can increase your skills and pace with the kids working up to the older groups. In our league at the older levels the games are quite good and a great preparation for upper level games. Lastly, I appreciate your attitude. I am both a coach and an official and strongly believe coaches should ref at least one season, and visa versa. My opinion! Good luck!

DEW
Old Mon Feb 07, 2000, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Talk to any officials you know and tell them of your desire. Be willing to work any game someone will let you work. When a spectator, watch the officials, pick up good mechanics, but ignore bad habits. Don't be afraid to ask questions either. Most importantly, if you get games, put out an effort, be confident, and have fun.

------------------
foxyref