The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

How long did you work HS before moving to college ball?

This is my 7th year of Bball. I've worked some pretty competitive intramural (in college) and men's rec. I've done very competitive AAU and some freshman games leading up to this year which is my first year of JV. This was the first year I joined the local association to get HS games due to a work schedule that just settled down this year.

My ultimate goal is to get into college basketball and go as far as I can. I'm 25 so I'm starting fairly early. Do you guys think it would be a huge jump to try and get into Juco and/or D3 next year? I would be 100% comfortable and not overwhelmed doing varsity games. I've worked so many games over the past 7 years I'm not really rattled by much of anything on the court. JV has come really easy to me so far and hasn't been very challenging. Any advice on making the jump? Curious to hear opinions and hear what your path was to working college ball if you do so. I got some good info from a board member on a camp to go to this summer to get picked up but i'm not sure if the timing's right for me. thanks!
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

I'm 26 now. I started officiating college when I was 23 so this is my 4th year. My supervisor has both a JUCO and a D2 league so I work games in both conferences. I don’t see a reason why you wouldn’t go for it. You’re young, you love the game, and you can start to achieve your goals, should they be to keep advancing.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 04:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

About 5 years.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

I worked my first college game my third year of officiating. I think everyone is a little different in how they can or can't move up. It depends on the individual.

It can't do nothing but help you by going to camps. You will learn & receive a great deal of information by going to the right camp. The bonus might be getting picked up by the supervisor.

I was told once that a good college camp is like gaining a year of officiating experience.

I'm mentoring a young guy from my hometown who played basketball @ a MCC college. He's been working for 2 years and is already working a small college schedule. So dude..its all up to you.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 11:22am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
It depends on the individual.

So dude..its all up to you.
This is simply not true. If it was all up to me, I'd have multiple NCAA Final Fours under my belt by now.

The effort that you put into it is all up to you. But the selection process has many, many, MANY more factors involved. Your geographic location is involved, the camps you pick are a factor, the perception of posture and composure are a factor.

I worked high school for 6 years before I got accepted to work NCAA JV games. Took me another 3 years to get a D3 varsity schedule. Took me another 6 years to get a D2 schedule. I could've had a D2 schedule 5 years ago, because the assignor loved me. But I was too far away from most of his schools to be of any use to him.

I'm not trying to discourage you. I just don't want you to go in with this false perception. Your seven years of intramural and rec ball are going to impress exactly nobody. I don't say that as an insult, but you need to recognize that college assignors (the ones that I know, anyway) view those games as little more than babysitting. That's not a reflection on you personally, only on the level of play.

If you want to move up, you need to be seen by the right people. That means you need to find out who those people are in your area and find out which camps they will be observing at. Then go to those camps. That's really what you need to do in this era.

If you post your general location, you might get some feedback here on which camps are your best bets. Good luck.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 12:13pm
Huck Finn

Gimlet, you are from Richmond? That is where I'm from too. Do you know my cousin? He is a cop, on the school board, sings the national anthem at just about any event, sings at weddings and is basically a pain in the butt to go out with in town because he has to stop and talk to everyone.

What year did you graduate?
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

I'm 20 and this is my first year in college ball.

It really boils down to if your young and dont know many people, you have to go out and have something that the vets dont have to prove that your ready. Go to the right camps get to know the people that you need to know and dont go in thinking im going to work in this conference. Go in wanting to learn something and get better.

As a young official you go in to those camps, do the right things, impress the right people and it will all fall into place.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with all that has been said here, even scrapper in all his "sad but true" rant.

IMO, I say go for it, without getting into details I got hired very young working college ball and got hired for JUCO the same season that I worked my first regular season of high school, so it's not out of this world or a novice idea that you try this. Just go try out.

Last edited by btaylor64; Sun Jan 13, 2008 at 12:05am.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TRef21
I worked one season of high school basketball comprising of frosh and JV boys and girls with one girls varsity game. I went to camp and got hired D3 and JC mens that summer I was 19 when I was hired that summer, but by the time the season started I was 20. So I called my first D3 game before my very first high school boys varsity game. I was actually in the high school for 2 years but since I was still a h.s. student they didnt give me a schedule. So when I was a freshman in college I got my first high school as i stated above then got hired that summer. Now 22 I'm in my 3rd season of mens college ball working in the only D3 conference in socal and 4 JC conferences. My goals are to officiate the D1 and D2 level.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS 20
This is my 7th year of Bball. I've worked some pretty competitive intramural (in college) and men's rec. I've done very competitive AAU and some freshman games leading up to this year which is my first year of JV. This was the first year I joined the local association to get HS games due to a work schedule that just settled down this year.
You can always go to a camp and see where you're at compared to your comeptition. Chances are, until you've been through the wringer for a couple of years at HS Varsity, you haven't been is charged atmospheres where it really matters. However, you can learn at the JUCO level just as easily as the HS level, if you have a mentor/sponsor. A camp will help you get one if you are ready.

I started working 2-year college ball in my 4th season, and it was not an easy transition. But if you want it bad enough, and you have the talent and personal commitment, the sky is the limit. There are 4th and 5th year officials getting hired at the D-1 level in some instances. Get after it.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 07:57pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
I agree with all that has been said here, even scrapper in all his "sad but true" rant.

IMO, I say go for it, without getting into details I got hired very young working college ball and got hired for JUCO the same season that I worked my first regular season of college, so it's not out of this world or a novice idea that you try this. Just go try out.
First of all, I apologize if it sounded like I was ranting. That was absolutely not my intent. I was only trying to dispel the "it's all up to you" mentality and give a more realistic view of the many factors involved.

Secondly, I absolutely agree that you should go for it. Your youth will probably help you if you have some ability. Don't let that stop you. But the most important thing to moving up is to be seen by the right people. And the right people don't generally come out to watch local high school or rec league games. You have to get to the right camp. That was my main point: get to a camp where you're seen by the guys/gals who do the hiring.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Gimlet, you are from Richmond? That is where I'm from too. Do you know my cousin? He is a cop, on the school board, sings the national anthem at just about any event, sings at weddings and is basically a pain in the butt to go out with in town because he has to stop and talk to everyone.

What year did you graduate?
Is it A. Stevens? Graduated in 1990.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
First of all, I apologize if it sounded like I was ranting. That was absolutely not my intent. I was only trying to dispel the "it's all up to you" mentality and give a more realistic view of the many factors involved.

Secondly, I absolutely agree that you should go for it. Your youth will probably help you if you have some ability. Don't let that stop you. But the most important thing to moving up is to be seen by the right people. And the right people don't generally come out to watch local high school or rec league games. You have to get to the right camp. That was my main point: get to a camp where you're seen by the guys/gals who do the hiring.
It is up to him if he goes or not (camp). That is what I was saying. In reality it ' "is all up to him." Does he go to camp? If he does does he take what he's given and use it to get better. Does he work hard @ getting better. Is he willing to make the sacrifices he takes to move up? Nothing more nothing less!
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 09:33pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to Moshiner1345
Camps... Camps... Camps... Everyone is saying stuff about camps. What camps have helped officials get noticed?
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 11:11pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
Is it A. Stevens? Graduated in 1990.

That is funny; I knew if I described him to you it would probably be obvious. He knows EVERYBODY! Our mothers were sisters.

I guess we were in high school together for two years. Isn't there some sort of rule that says you can't do games at the high school in town. Doing a varsity game there is one of my dreams. Back in the days when Woody Austin was doing his thing the gym would be jumping! 8,000 people on a Friday night is an experience.