The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 09, 2002, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I have the opportunity to attend a tryout for the USBL. Have any of you guys worked the league? With my experience (10 yrs HS, 4 yrs college) would it be worth my while to attend? Any comments welcome.

Chuck
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I have the opportunity to attend a tryout for the USBL. Have any of you guys worked the league? With my experience (10 yrs HS, 4 yrs college) would it be worth my while to attend? Any comments welcome.

Chuck
chuck,
i am trying out for the usbl this year as well. and i think 10 and 4 are good enough exp. to work, though the usbl uses the nba rules. i have a couple of friends whom work the league in tampa and they have talked me into trying out. i do not know how much it pays but it would be great experience in the off season and help you to continually improve in the game. also it would be great to be able to talk pro stuff on the board.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Smile

I did a similar camp years ago under Jake O'Donnel. Unless you are free to give full commitment then it's not worth attending except for the great experience. Most people, if they have a day job can't commit although I'm not sure about the USBL.
Pistol
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Devana
I did a similar camp years ago under Jake O'Donnel. Unless you are free to give full commitment then it's not worth attending except for the great experience. Most people, if they have a day job can't commit although I'm not sure about the USBL.
Pistol
Pete, are you saying that they're looking only for "full time" officials? I guess I was assuming that the games would be assigned like in college. You give an availability list and take what they're willing to give you. If they're really looking for guys to take 40 games and travel, then you're right; it's probably not worth it to me.

tony,

what tryout site are you attending? If I go, it will be to the Brooklyn camp on March 10th.

Chuck
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Chuck,
The camp I attended was way back in the late 70's. At that camp they were looking for full time prospects. I did it just for the experience and really learned the fine points of handling the big elite players. They really taught the value and skill/judgement required to establish the "no call" on fouls and violations that can be overlooked.. That camp improved my officiating skills more than any other I attended over the years. I still use what I learned there in every level of game that I do.
Pistol
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

chuck,
i am going to a camp in lakeland fl. since their are only 2 teams in florida those will be the only sites i will work. in brooklyn you will probly run into a fellow named zack zarba, whom works in the nbdl as well and is a very good official. the usbl does not pay travel(to my knowledge) therefor i will not travel very far. good luck.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. Good luck to you, too. Let us know how it goes.

Chuck
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Chuck --

Does this mean you'll be going o ver to what Slider calls,
"The Dark Side?!?!"

Seriously, good luck to both Chuck and tony, and be sure we all hear the results.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

I work in the USBL and it is a flat game fee with no travel. Not a full time job or position. Essentially, they use guys based on where they live and what travel restrictions they establish with the supervisor of officials. It has some nice players in it as well.

One word of wisdom, know the pro rules before attempting to officiate this league. All of the players and coaches know the rules and will confront you in situations where you or your crew misapplies or does not understand how to apply the pro rules.

Good luck.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Chuck --

Does this mean you'll be going o ver to what Slider calls,
"The Dark Side?!?!"
Not in my HS/College games, Juulie. Never. Promise. But if I decide to go the tryout, I'll have to brush up on my "no-charge zone" rules.

Quote:
originally posted by BBarnaby
One word of wisdom, know the pro rules before attempting to officiate this league.
Thanks for the tip. I was looking through the camp info and there's not a lot of classroom time, so I'll be sure to study up. Is the best place to study them on the NBA website?

Quote:
All of the players and coaches know the rules
Bwwaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahhaha!!! Oh, that's rich!! Hee-heee-heeeeeee!! They. . .know the rules!!

Quote:
and will confront you
Of this, I have no doubt!!

Chuck

[Edited by ChuckElias on Feb 11th, 2002 at 09:00 AM]
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

I know several USBL guys including the Supervisor of Officials, Tom Palmgren. I would love to work the league, but
since I'm out West, no dice. The CBA is coming out west next year, so I will work then.
I will second what BBarnaky says about rules knowledge to an extent. Coaches and players know the rules better than most High School and College coaches, but still THINK they know them better than they actually do.
Anytime there is a restricted area play, the player charged with the foul always points to the floor. Either in or out.
Defensive three seconds, ball going over the corner of the backboard being a live ball.(to be out of play it must go squarely over the middle portion of the board).
Also learn and use "pro" terminology. It's the "restricted area" not "no-charge zone." Offensive foul applies to anyone on the offensive team, not just the player with the ball. Flagrant fouls (penalty 1 and 2). Clear path to the basket fouls, away from the play fouls etc. That having been said, don't go into the tryout thinking you have to be perfect. That's not expected. Just be the best you can be and work hard. (advice given to me a couple years ago by Ronnie Garretson.)If you're good enough, they'll see it.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

One other thing. Before you go, work very hard on your clock awareness. If you can show that to be a strong part of your game, that will make you stick out from the others!