The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Tales of a 1st Year: Some firsts last night

Freshmen Boys game.

Some firsts for me -- things I handled THIS time the way I didn't handle them that other time.

I'm lead, action is over near my sideline, I'm looking right down the line. Out near the 28 foot line, defender and ball handler are fumbling ball around, I see plenty of defender backside. Ball rolls out-of-bounds. Tweet. "Partner, do you have anything?" "No". "We're going with the AP arrow"

I had nothing on who made the violation -- asked partner -- he had nothing. Go to the arrow. I was just happy with the rhythm of the whole transaction. Even though it was right in front of the table, I wish I had communicated directly with the table that this was an AP play -- next time!

------

Next one, I'm trail. Team A has ball beyond the arc across the court from me. Pass down to the corner right in front of my partner. A1 drives, B2 reaches in and hits his arm. Tweet! Was that MY whistle that just sounded? Go to immediately to partner and say, "partner, lets pretend like we are talking about something important here, because I am not going to call that foul from 40 feet away when it happened right in front of you". I forgot to make some gesticulation towards the scoreboard like I was discussing a clock issue.

Editing this for clarity. A1 started to drive. He hadn't gone anywhere. When he was fouled, it was the tickiest of ticky tack. So here I am 40 feet away calling a ticky tack foul that 'occurred' right in front of my partner. For some reason, upon seeing this heinous crime, my whistle just blew.

Bottom line, inadvertent whistle. Team A inbounds.

-------

With 5 minutes to go and his team ahead by 25, Coach A gets all in a snit about his post player being "pushed". I had been monitoring this battle inside, and was considering my communication to the players. A1 is leaning back into B1. B1 is leaning back into him. They are in a pretty constant state of an 'A' shape. B1 isn't using hands improperly.

Anyways, coach is very chirpy and moving down to the end of his bench to lend me his opinion about what should be called. I tell coach he needs to calm down and let me officiate.

Next time down I am lead on his bench side. More chirping. Coach suggests that I should have "the courage" to make a call. I did. I courageously whacked the coach.

My first T! Reported it in a business like manner. Went to the far end to administer. Coach sat down. Hell, now that I know how easy it is...

One thing I'm unsure of, and I should know.... I called the T with a Team A shot in flight. Would it have counted? I think it would.
Bad idea to call one then (given I have some discretion there)?

Word.

Last edited by ca_rumperee; Fri Jan 11, 2008 at 08:38pm.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
Freshmen Boys game.
Next one, I'm trail. Team A has ball beyond the arc across the court from me. Pass down to the corner right in front of my partner. A1 drives, B2 reaches in and hits his arm. Tweet! Was that MY whistle that just sounded? Go to immediately to partner and say, "partner, lets pretend like we are talking about something important here, because I am not going to call that foul from 40 feet away when it happened right in front of you". I forgot to make some gesticulation towards the scoreboard like I was discussing a clock issue.

Bottom line, inadvertent whistle. Team A inbounds.
Wow. 2 wrongs don't make a right. You may have been looking where you shouldn't have, but you did see a legitimate foul, you called it, and then you went and created some sort of ruse to take it back?
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Nicely done! Your T would have been much better if the ball had gone thru the net and then you banged him...or if you could have gotten him before the shot. But it still works. Yes the basket counts. And yes it is easy.

On that first play, in 2 man that high sideline is rough for the L. The T can slide way over and back to help out. He'll then watch his side and the lane and be able to help on an OOB. This works because there won't normally be many players bunched up deep in his area with the ball high on the L's side.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Wow. 2 wrongs don't make a right. You may have been looking where you shouldn't have, but you did see a legitimate foul, you called it, and then you went and created some sort of ruse to take it back?
Agreed, if you are worrying about how that "looks", I think it looks a heckuva lot better if you just report the foul and move on and discuss with/apologize to your partner at halftime if you think you need to....if he was hit on the arm maybe your partner didn't call it b/c he got screened, etc..I can see why you might pass on it out of your primary, but once you call it you have to go with it..
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
over all, good learning of some trick situations!

Like Smitty, I think you should have stood by your call. Especially since you interrupted a drive, and took away a shot. At least give the foul shots to the driving team. You also close on the play as you whistle it, so you're not so far away (that helps credibility), and then trust your partner not to throw you under the bus if coach complains to him. And if it was a bad call, be sure you apologize to partner at next opportunity.

Regarding the T, the basket counts. Still a great T. You took care of business.

I wish I could be half this good even after 8 years.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I wish I could be half this good even after 8 years.
Be easy on yourself. What I hear is you are half that good.

Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref

Aw, geeze, Dan, now you're embarassing me....
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

I think I would have called the hold you mentioned...You saw it and it sounds as if you had a great angle...yes, you were 40 feet away but perhaps your partner was not in a good position to see it? Angles/line of sight, my man!

On the T...had one last week this way in the first half....Coach had been chirping and I told myself, next word outta him I'm going to warn him....then on his very next trip he didn't like the no call at his offensive end... ball got kicked out on an outlet pass, fast break...here we go.... coach jumped off the bench and screamed "THAT'S TERRIBLE" with hands flying in the air...as the other team is advancing and now shooting he yells again..."ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE!"....ball is coming thru the net and THEN I wacked him! He stayed quiet the rest of the way....

I would not kill the other teams fast break and in your sitch, I think you can allow the shot to go in then call it...either way it's 2 and the ball for the other team and if it goes in, even more reason for the coach to be upset with himself and hopefully learn a lesson.

Last edited by Coltdoggs; Fri Jan 11, 2008 at 12:20pm.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Aw, geeze, Dan, now you're embarassing me....
I sense a friendship blossoming.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs

I would not kill the other teams fast break and in your sitch, I think you can allow the shot to go in then call it...either way it's 2 and the ball for the other team and if it goes in, even more reason for the coach to be upset with himself and hopefully learn a lesson.
There is a casebook play on this specifically...if the A coach earned the tech and team B is on a break you hold your whistle until the play is finished, but if it is his own team on the break and he earns it, get him immediately...if the shot is already in the air you can't cancel it, but if his player is at the free throw line about to go in for a layup you kill it...
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref
I sense a friendship blossoming.
Oh c'mon, we're long time buddies... she's Britney to my K Fed, Dick Cheney to my George Bush, Liz Taylor to my Michael Jackson, Hillary to my Bill, Laverne to my Shirley Felix to my Oscar Bacall to my Bogey and Sigfried to my Roy.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 01:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hey - both halves of Juulie are good!
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
There is a casebook play on this specifically...if the A coach earned the tech and team B is on a break you hold your whistle until the play is finished, but if it is his own team on the break and he earns it, get him immediately...if the shot is already in the air you can't cancel it, but if his player is at the free throw line about to go in for a layup you kill it...
That's why they call it a penalty right!

You earn your T and if the other team is breakin' they'll keep breakin and rub salt in your wound by scoring, then getting 2 and the ball.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh c'mon, we're long time buddies... she's Britney to my K Fed, Dick Cheney to my George Bush, Liz Taylor to my Michael Jackson, Hillary to my Bill, Laverne to my Shirley Felix to my Oscar Bacall to my Bogey and Sigfried to my Roy.
Nancy Kerrigan to your Tonya Harding?

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 02:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Nancy Kerrigan to your Tonya Harding?
Batman to his Joker?

I like this game.