View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Tales of a 1st Year: Some firsts last night

Freshmen Boys game.

Some firsts for me -- things I handled THIS time the way I didn't handle them that other time.

I'm lead, action is over near my sideline, I'm looking right down the line. Out near the 28 foot line, defender and ball handler are fumbling ball around, I see plenty of defender backside. Ball rolls out-of-bounds. Tweet. "Partner, do you have anything?" "No". "We're going with the AP arrow"

I had nothing on who made the violation -- asked partner -- he had nothing. Go to the arrow. I was just happy with the rhythm of the whole transaction. Even though it was right in front of the table, I wish I had communicated directly with the table that this was an AP play -- next time!

------

Next one, I'm trail. Team A has ball beyond the arc across the court from me. Pass down to the corner right in front of my partner. A1 drives, B2 reaches in and hits his arm. Tweet! Was that MY whistle that just sounded? Go to immediately to partner and say, "partner, lets pretend like we are talking about something important here, because I am not going to call that foul from 40 feet away when it happened right in front of you". I forgot to make some gesticulation towards the scoreboard like I was discussing a clock issue.

Editing this for clarity. A1 started to drive. He hadn't gone anywhere. When he was fouled, it was the tickiest of ticky tack. So here I am 40 feet away calling a ticky tack foul that 'occurred' right in front of my partner. For some reason, upon seeing this heinous crime, my whistle just blew.

Bottom line, inadvertent whistle. Team A inbounds.

-------

With 5 minutes to go and his team ahead by 25, Coach A gets all in a snit about his post player being "pushed". I had been monitoring this battle inside, and was considering my communication to the players. A1 is leaning back into B1. B1 is leaning back into him. They are in a pretty constant state of an 'A' shape. B1 isn't using hands improperly.

Anyways, coach is very chirpy and moving down to the end of his bench to lend me his opinion about what should be called. I tell coach he needs to calm down and let me officiate.

Next time down I am lead on his bench side. More chirping. Coach suggests that I should have "the courage" to make a call. I did. I courageously whacked the coach.

My first T! Reported it in a business like manner. Went to the far end to administer. Coach sat down. Hell, now that I know how easy it is...

One thing I'm unsure of, and I should know.... I called the T with a Team A shot in flight. Would it have counted? I think it would.
Bad idea to call one then (given I have some discretion there)?

Word.

Last edited by ca_rumperee; Fri Jan 11, 2008 at 08:38pm.