The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Small mechanics question

Regarding the end of the quarter, half, game should, all 3 officials whistle and signal?
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Nope, just the official that has the clock responsibilities.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 11:52am
Lighten up, Francis.

No. Nobody actually needs to whistle, unless you're waving off a shot near the buzzer. But even if one official whistles, certainly all 3 officials should NOT.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
No. Nobody actually needs to whistle, unless you're waving off a shot near the buzzer. But even if one official whistles, certainly all 3 officials should NOT.
In my area they want the official that has the clock to hit their whislte to end the quarter. Might be different in other places, but around here there should be one whistle.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Since the OP is from Illinois, perhaps he should wait for Rut to come along and tell him what it will say in his new manual.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Since the OP is from Illinois, perhaps he should wait for Rut to come along and tell him what it will say in his new manual.
Not a bad idea, get my mechanics advice from Jeff and hotel prices on the strip from you........
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
In my area they want the official that has the clock to hit their whislte to end the quarter. Might be different in other places, but around here there should be one whistle.
Same here, horn doesn't stop play.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Not a bad idea, get my mechanics advice from Jeff and hotel prices on the strip from you........

Thanks, needed that this morning.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Since I am from Illinois and I am the only IHSA Certified Clinician here on this forum that I am aware of I think I can answer what we do here.

The whistle should only come from the official that has the last second shot. That would be the Center or Trail, opposite the table. And this is a pet peeve of many evaluators and clinicians throughout the state of Illinois if you are blowing the whistle and the last second shot was not your responsibility. Only one whistle is necessary.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Since I am from Illinois and I am the only IHSA Certified Clinician here on this forum that I am aware of I think I can answer what we do here.

The whistle should only come from the official that has the last second shot. That would be the Center or Trail, opposite the table. And this is a pet peeve of many evaluators and clinicians throughout the state of Illinois if you are blowing the whistle and the last second shot was not your responsibility. Only one whistle is necessary.

Peace
I agree with Jeff that this is the "right" mechanic in IL -- always one and only one whistle.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
I have a thing with another official and we ride each other on small details all in good nature, He gets me and I fire back, I was pretty sure on the one whistle issue and caught him tooting away as the lead last week.

BUSTED!
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
Is this the FED mechanic? I'm pretty sure it is, but I don't have my books here.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is this the FED mechanic? I'm pretty sure it is, but I don't have my books here.
Nowhere in the Fed manual will you find a need for a whistle at the end of a period. It's accepted practice many places, though.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 03:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It might be now, but when I started and a few years after that period of time, there was no mention of this in the book. This kind of situation is the reason my state stopped relying on the NF Mechanics because many things would not change or there would be absolutely no clarification of positions about specific mechanics or procedures. I also do not have a New NF Officials Manual anymore, so I cannot tell you what the NF advocates.

Peace