The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Question small question?

End of first half of JV game, I go to table to see if everything is OK. Time keeper says he switched arrow towards team A. Visiting scorekeeper says he has the ball going towards his team (team B)to start second half. So I ask official scorekeeper, she is deer in headlights and has not been keeping track of AP. So I gave the ball to team A because thats the way the arrow was going in the first place. I wasnt sure which way to go. Am I Right? or Wrong? I went and asked the Varsity guys they himmed and hahhed and were not sure themselves. So thats why I am here.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Pick one. Act sure.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 10:55pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I go with the arrow switch and the home book. Chances are that any discrepancy would have come up during the first half unless you had NO JUMP BALL calls. Tell the other coach, if it is mentioned that they get 2 out of the next 3.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs_schuster
Time keeper says he switched arrow towards team A. Visiting scorekeeper says he has the ball going towards his team (team B)to start second half.

When and why did he switch the arrow?
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Bach

When and why did he switch the arrow?
At halftime, because it was halftime, right?
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
There are no small questions, just small people.

Speaking of small people, I'm sure if Chuck is out there he'll agree you were wrong because you let the table screw up your game.

Let this be a lesson to you. Keep the arrow in your head from now on. It aint that hard, there are only 2 choices at any point in the game.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Halftime , we switch the arrow in Ohio.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

This would be a great time for either you or your partner's memory to kick in and remember who had the last arrow. Then you'd know for sure now. Events like this help you understand why you want to stay on top of this in your head and not rely 100% on the table. It's also a great time to remind the tale why it's not their job to do this at half time.

If you don't know, you gotta go with the home book. Generally, if a coach doesn't agree, they will help remind you of the last held ball and who got the arrow.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

WOW! Thanks for that great bit of info DAN. 2 choices it aintnever occured to me before.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
WOW! Thanks for that great bit of info DAN. 2 choices it aintnever occured to me before.

hmmm...I'm left feeling your response isn't meant to be taken at face value. If I'm correct, then surely it's obvious it's never occurred to you before because you left your game at the table.

If not, glad I could help you out.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

JV girls game is not the most stellar of basketball games around here. 15 jump balls +/- a few. I checked the home book she was not keeping track. But you are right, I should have kept track of the AP myself. Thanks.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

I would be truly amazed, If you have NEVER missed or flubbed a call OH GREAT ONE Dan. And left your game, where it belongs, in your underwear drawer at home.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 03:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
End of first half of JV game, I go to table to see if everything is OK. Time keeper says he switched arrow towards team A. Visiting scorekeeper says he has the ball going towards his team (team B)to start second half. So I ask official scorekeeper, she is deer in headlights and has not been keeping track of AP. So I gave the ball to team A because thats the way the arrow was going in the first place. I wasnt sure which way to go. Am I Right? or Wrong? I went and asked the Varsity guys they himmed and hahhed and were not sure themselves. So thats why I am here.
Chris the problem you have is that the SCORER not the TIMER is charged with keeping the arrow by the NFHS rules. You need to have a brief chat with your table prior to the game and mention something like, "Ok you have the book and you have our clock. Good, then you will be tracking the possession arrow for us. Please write down the time of each held ball in the book and make sure to let us know when a player has five fouls. (Turn to other person) And if there are any problems you have the horn, so just hit it and call us over. Thanks."

You failed to do this, and as in most nonvarsity games there can be lots of held balls, it seems that you got stuck in a situation where you were unsure.

Lessons taken from this:
1. Better pregame
2. Better mental focus on the arrow yourself
Right?

You'll do better next time.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 07:38am
Huck Finn

I think it is a matter of play recall. Hopefully, you will get better at this as you move on.