The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:18pm
M.A.S.H.

If the technical occurred before all the free throws were complete it is still part of the 2nd quarter. Shoot the two technical foul free throws before heading to the locker room. In this situation, to start the 3rd quarter you use the AP (penalty can't carry over).

If it occurred after the shots were completed. The 3rd quarter is started with two shots for the technical foul. Team A gets the ball at the division line for a throw-in. The AP is not used in this situation, thus it doesn't get reversed.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92
Heard this situation last week in a JV game......

A1 gets fouled by B1 on shooting attempt right before buzzer to end the 2nd quarter. So we have 0:00.0 and horn, arrow currently in B's favor, and shooting free throws for the shooting foul. Team B is heading towards locker room. Coach B voices disagreement on the call, turns and walks towards locker room, after a few steps turns back and unleashes a "no-no" comment and gets whacked with a technical.
Sounds like the "T" happened after the FT's, when the team was heading back to the locker room. If this is the case then this "T" happened @ intermission since the 2nd ended with the two FT's. Start the 3rd with the "T
" penalty, timeline throw in to the offended team, arrow stays as is.

If the "T" happened before the last FT was over then the "T" would have to be adminstered before the intermission could start.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
So, Are you saying treat end of half situations the same as end of game to determine winner or loser?
Just got my casebook out:

5.6.2 D Ruling: "...the two free throws for the technical foul are attempted as part of the fourth quarter as teh foul occured before the fourth quarter had ended."

This seems to apply to any quarter, not just end of game situations.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Just got my casebook out:

5.6.2 D Ruling: "...the two free throws for the technical foul are attempted as part of the fourth quarter as teh foul occured before the fourth quarter had ended."

This seems to apply to any quarter, not just end of game situations.
Agreed!! in the OP it's not totally clear whether the T happen before of after the FT's for the foul shot ending the half.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
If the technical occurred before all the free throws were complete it is still part of the 2nd quarter. Shoot the two technical foul free throws before heading to the locker room. In this situation, to start the 3rd quarter you use the AP (penalty can't carry over).

If it occurred after the shots were completed. The 3rd quarter is started with two shots for the technical foul. Team A gets the ball at the division line for a throw-in. The AP is not used in this situation, thus it doesn't get reversed.
That's the right answer(s).
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Ironically, I watched a boys varsity game last weekend where the same thing happened, except that there were no shots to be taken (player control foul). The coach apparently said one of the magic words on his way to the locker room, and a rabbit-eared official T'd him up. They took the shots right then, not waiting for the third quarter. Two varsity officials I asked later that weekend said this was the correct procedure. From what I see here, this should have been done at the start of the third quarter.

Would this be considered a correctable error, had the coach known the correct rule? (The shooter made both FTs, so perhaps he might have wanted the shots taken again in the hope one or more would be missed.)
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Would this be considered a correctable error,
Which part of 2-10 applies?

The only thing to "correct" would be to give the ball to the correct team as part of the penalty to start the third quarter. Once that throw-in ends, however, then it's too late.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 04:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
The coach apparently said one of the magic words on his way to the locker room, and a rabbit-eared official T'd him up. They took the shots right then, not waiting for the third quarter. Two varsity officials I asked later that weekend said this was the correct procedure. From what I see here, this should have been done at the start of the third quarter.

Would this be considered a correctable error, had the coach known the correct rule? (The shooter made both FTs, so perhaps he might have wanted the shots taken again in the hope one or more would be missed.)
Rabbit-eared? For not ignoring being sworn at? I sureasheck wouldn't call that rabbit-eared. I'd call it taking care of bidness.

Yes, the FT's for the "T" should have been taken at the start of the third quarter and the shooting team also should have got the throw-in that goes along with the "T"(instead of an AP throw-in). It is not a correctable error per se though. All merited FT's were taken.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
Agreed!! in the OP it's not totally clear whether the T happen before of after the FT's for the foul shot ending the half.
My bad. The technical happened prior to the free throws for the foul. Team B didn't have to stick around for those free throws, so that is why they left the court. I'm assuming an assistant or some representative stayed to watch.

Good responses! The free throws for the T were given right after the free throws for the shooting foul. In the locker room the JV officials were told by the varsity officials there for the next game that they should have shot the T free throws to start the 3rd quarter........
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92
My bad. The technical happened prior to the free throws for the foul. Team B didn't have to stick around for those free throws, so that is why they left the court. I'm assuming an assistant or some representative stayed to watch.

Good responses! The free throws for the T were given right after the free throws for the shooting foul. In the locker room the JV officials were told by the varsity officials there for the next game that they should have shot the T free throws to start the 3rd quarter........

Thanks!!
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Ap??

Do you give the ball to the team who shot the technical to start the 2nd half or go to the arrow?? I would say you give it to the team who shot the technicals??Correct??
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 11:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMadness
Do you give the ball to the team who shot the technical to start the 2nd half or go to the arrow?? I would say you give it to the team who shot the technicals??Correct??
Wrong. The FT's for the "T" were shot as part of the second quarter. No part of a penalty in one quarter carries over to the next quarter. That's rule 5-6EXCEPTION3. The throw-in was part of the penalty for the "T" which was part of the second quarter.

Start the third quarter with an AP throw-in.
Old Wed Jan 09, 2008, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Rabbit-eared? For not ignoring being sworn at? I sureasheck wouldn't call that rabbit-eared. I'd call it taking care of bidness.

Had the same thought. Thanks for expressing it. Weak people will come up with many excuses to avoid having to make a perceived tough call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yes, the FT's for the "T" should have been taken at the start of the third quarter and the shooting team also should have got the throw-in that goes along with the "T"(instead of an AP throw-in). It is not a correctable error per se though. All merited FT's were taken.
There is an argument to be made that the FTs were attempted at the wrong basket. We've had long threads on this before. I would welcome a case play from the NFHS on this situation.