The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
End of Half situation

Heard this situation last week in a JV game......

A1 gets fouled by B1 on shooting attempt right before buzzer to end the 2nd quarter. So we have 0:00.0 and horn, arrow currently in B's favor, and shooting free throws for the shooting foul. Team B is heading towards locker room. Coach B voices disagreement on the call, turns and walks towards locker room, after a few steps turns back and unleashes a "no-no" comment and gets whacked with a technical.

Please lay out the correct procedure to handle this. Please include where the technical should be applied for team foul count (first or second half), when to shoot the technical foul shots (right away or to start 3rd quarter), and who gets ball to start the 3rd quarter.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

shoot the shooting foul immediately since buzzer didn't go off. T is enforced to begin 3rd period as it occurred following the end of the period.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

My Guess...

A shoots 2 shots...because the T was called before the shots were taken, give any player from team A 2 shots for the technical before going to locker rooms...Before refs leave confines, change arrow at half to Team A..and give Team A the ball to start the second half from the tech. and leave the arrow facing A ???
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
shoot the shooting foul immediately since buzzer didn't go off. T is enforced to begin 3rd period as it occurred following the end of the period.
I think OP is saying that foul occurred just before buzzer, but buzzer then went off meaning that it was too close to stop the clock...in this case, let A1 shoot his/her FT's, go to half, let A shoot the tech ft's to start the 3rd quarter and give the ball to A to start the quarter....ap doesn't change, first jump ball of the second half will go to B according to OP...tech on head coach applies towards tf count for second half....
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMadness
A shoots 2 shots...because the T was called before the shots were taken, give any player from team A 2 shots for the technical before going to locker rooms...Before refs leave confines, change arrow at half to Team A..and give Team A the ball to start the second half from the tech. and leave the arrow facing A ???
I agree with this statement, but would love someone to find a reference.

The quarter hasn't ended when the T is called. Therefore I'd think it would be enforced at the end of the 2nd quarter, rather than the start of the 3rd...
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 01:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The half doesn't end until the free throws are shot, so this is a 2nd quarter T. Shoot all shots prior to intermission. 3rd quarter will start with an AP throwin.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Wait I'm confused, when was B leaving the floor, before or after the free throws were shot? I assumed that this was AFTER the free throws were shot, quarter had ended?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
Wait I'm confused, when was B leaving the floor, before or after the free throws were shot? I assumed that this was AFTER the free throws were shot, quarter had ended?
Hmm...now that I re-read the OP, I can't tell whether it was before or after the FTs either...

Obviously it makes all the difference in this situation.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
I agree with this statement, but would love someone to find a reference.

The quarter hasn't ended when the T is called. Therefore I'd think it would be enforced at the end of the 2nd quarter, rather than the start of the 3rd...
Casebook 5.6 Comment B: If a technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to end a quarter, the next quarter is started by administering the free throws. This applies even when the foul occurs after the first half has ended.

FT's to start 2nd half.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
Casebook 5.6 Comment B: If a technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to end a quarter, the next quarter is started by administering the free throws. This applies even when the foul occurs after the first half has ended.

FT's to start 2nd half.
Except, the ball hasn't become dead to end the quarters if the FTs for the shooting foul haven't been attempted.

If the FTs have already been attempted, then obviously this case (which is being discussed in another thread today) applies. We're talking about a case where the quarter hasn't actually ended. I just don't know if there's a case book reference for this one.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie

FT's to start 2nd half.
The ball hasn't become dead TO END THE QUARTER yet. Tech FTs to end second quarter.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Except, the ball hasn't become dead to end the quarters if the FTs for the shooting foul haven't been attempted.

If the FTs have already been attempted, then obviously this case (which is being discussed in another thread today) applies. We're talking about a case where the quarter hasn't actually ended. I just don't know if there's a case book reference for this one.

Ok, you are correct it's not clear if the free throws had been shot prior to the T.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:15pm
In Memoriam

Case book plays 5.6.2SitD&H. The technical is part of the previous quarter.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92
A1 gets fouled by B1 on shooting attempt right before buzzer to end the 2nd quarter. So we have 0:00.0 and horn, arrow currently in B's favor, and shooting free throws for the shooting foul. Team B is heading towards locker room. Coach B voices disagreement on the call, turns and walks towards locker room, after a few steps turns back and unleashes a "no-no" comment and gets whacked with a technical.

Please lay out the correct procedure to handle this. Please include where the technical should be applied for team foul count (first or second half), when to shoot the technical foul shots (right away or to start 3rd quarter), and who gets ball to start the 3rd quarter.
A1 gets 2 FT's with no one on the lane. Team A gets 2 FT's for the B coach's "T". All of this is part of the second quarter. Half time. The third quarter starts with an AP.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Case book plays 5.6.2SitD&H. The technical is part of the previous quarter.
So, Are you saying treat end of half situations the same as end of game to determine winner or loser?