The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Scorer/Timer NCAA

Something came up the other day in a men's juco game. I called an indirect T on a player, reported to the table, administered, we played on....later during a timeout I wondered "does the scorer & timer/scoreboard operator know that this T is indirect and therefore should not count against team foul count and 1/5 to DQ on the player?" Fortunately I went over and asked and they had recorded it incorrectly, so we got it fixed and it didn't impact the game at all as far as being in the bonus, etc. My question though is should the table be expected to understand all of these NCAA rules re: techs, or do you literally have to explain when you report to them that "technical foul 33 white, indirect does not count towards tfc, nor towards 1/5 to DQ on the player"?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
My question though is should the table be expected to understand all of these NCAA rules re: techs, or do you literally have to explain when you report to them that "technical foul 33 white, indirect does not count towards tfc, nor towards 1/5 to DQ on the player"?
We hope that the table is up to speed on how/who gets what and what it counts towards. The truth of the matter is that most don't know how to record the atypical situations.

I would always go to the table and make sure that the scorer records the "T" in the right way and that it is being counted right. This protects you and prevents a potential problem later in the game.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Gimlet and do the same in HS games.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 09:47am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimlet25id
I would always go to the table and make sure that the scorer records the "T" in the right way and that it is being counted right. This protects you and prevents a potential problem later in the game.
I agree with this, although I don't do it in high school games.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that the scorer should know what's going on, however . . .

I've been doing the book at the D-I level for 7 years now. I read the rulebook and try to figure out what the direct and indirect T's are, and I know how each counts towards the team and individual foul total. Even with the reorganization, though, I can't 100% figure out what's what, and the refs don't always make it clear in their reporting.
Old Fri Jan 11, 2008, 11:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
I agree that the scorer should know what's going on, however . . .

I've been doing the book at the D-I level for 7 years now. I read the rulebook and try to figure out what the direct and indirect T's are, and I know how each counts towards the team and individual foul total. Even with the reorganization, though, I can't 100% figure out what's what, and the refs don't always make it clear in their reporting.
Mark,
Did you see this little deal?
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baske...s-replay_N.htm
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 12:26am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbilla
Something came up the other day in a men's juco game. I called an indirect T on a player, reported to the table, administered, we played on....later during a timeout I wondered "does the scorer & timer/scoreboard operator know that this T is indirect and therefore should not count against team foul count and 1/5 to DQ on the player?" Fortunately I went over and asked and they had recorded it incorrectly, so we got it fixed and it didn't impact the game at all as far as being in the bonus, etc. My question though is should the table be expected to understand all of these NCAA rules re: techs, or do you literally have to explain when you report to them that "technical foul 33 white, indirect does not count towards tfc, nor towards 1/5 to DQ on the player"?
One year at a JUCO game, we had a double tech and the tech was the home player's 5th foul. Score keeper has no clue and probably didn't count them as fouls on the player, but the coach subbed for 5-foul player anyways to get her cooled down. And since she never reentered the game after that, chaos was averted.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sat Jan 12, 2008, 12:31am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Mark,
Mick:

I heard about this on the evening news not too long ago.

Just goes to show that:
  • Scorers need to be attentive to the officials on all foul calls and work together if a discrepancy pops up.
  • Also, officials need to have crisp mechanics with foul reporting. I've done games where the officials hold the hands so close to their bodies and flash the numbers so fast, you'd think they were passing along top secret information.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Sat Jan 12, 2008 at 12:32am. Reason: Corrected a typo and revised for clarity
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Mark,
Yup.

I don't do NBA, but I have to say that something along those lines is always in the back of my head.