The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PAT THE REF
Advice on Partner

Hey everyone;

First, I want to wish everyone a happy new year. I have learned a great deal of information from the Forum and it has made me a better official from it.

Today I had a problem with my partner. I have worked with the gentleman a few times in the past; and have had problems with him. Every time he wanted to "wear the pants" and try to challenge/"correct" me on the court. Last year he would call me over to talk during time outs - just to tell me what I was doing wrong....

Today I helped out my assigner and did a MS inner-town (east vs west) "rivalry" game i guess you could call it. I arrived in plenty of time, enough to watch pre-game. The gym was cold; so I wore my jacket while watching with about 11:00 to go before we were to start.

My partner walks in with about 7:00 to go before tip-off and wants to know why I was wearing a jacket... We had problems from then on. With about 4:00 before tip off, a player from team B decides that he is to do a pull up on the rim... However since he isn't tall enough, he grabbed on the net and pulled himself up to the rim and was hanging there...

Well that was followed by another player (6'0") making a slam dunk, missing the basket but still hanging on the rim... I start to walk over and my partner cuts me off in at the pass... with these kind words... "your not going to do that are you... see if you do that then I know you didnt play the game... You have to let these kids play ball... that is why ref's like you shouldnt be out here... you dont understand the game."

I walked over - got captians and held a brief 10 sec. meeting... Then there was a barage of minor problems... He would reach into my "area", make phantom calls and then try to throw me under the bus...

I know im just venting here but I needed to get this out. What would you guys do about the pregame incident that I wrote above...? He has been working this area for about 5 years to my 2. So any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and happy new year...

Pat
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Pat,

Great post. I had to think this through to make sure I siftd through my feelings between what I would like to do versus what I think I actually would do. How do I think I would handle this? I think I would try like crazy to never work with this official again. If I did, I would probably just survive the game and move on. One thing that can come out of a game like this is that you can learn things "not to do". For example, you can see what happens when an official continually calls in your area. You can apply this to your own officiating as you move along and work with more proficient officials. This may not be what most folks here think, but I think that's what I would do.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

The quick answer is don't work with this clown again! If you do, just call your game and ignore his stupid comments (let them go in one ear and out the other). You can do this respectfully. However, if you know for sure he threw you under the bus, call him on it after the game (or at halftime). Tell him that's one thing you will not tolerate (and would never do yourself).

One last thing...as you continue to move up and eventually find yourself to be the more experienced referee, do NOT treat your partners this way!
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 01:21am
M.A.S.H.

Sure sounds like a long night. But, you've got to call your game - which should include calling the pre-game dunks. Rough night in which you've got to bare down and get in/get out. Best thing to do is to find something from the game that you nailed (i.e. something to build on) and move on.

Only other thing to do is to tell your assigner you prefer not to work with him.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

i'd just talk bad about him behind his back to every ref in the area that will listen. that should fix things.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

man...what a jerk. If I was in your position I'd probably survive the game but I'd also have been stern with him.

For example, in the beginning when he walked up to you and said
Quote:
"your not going to do that are you... see if you do that then I know you didnt play the game... You have to let these kids play ball... that is why ref's like you shouldnt be out here... you dont understand the game."
you should immediately stand your ground, don't let this guy push you over. As soon as you stopped and left, he realizes he has control over you. But if you're stern and say "The rules are the rules and I AM going to talk to those kids, Sir. Maybe you should take notes and not be so uptight" he would then realized he messed with the wrong person.

And what's he going to do after then? Tell the other referee's in the league that you were enforcing the rules?

Last edited by DrFeelGood; Sat Jan 05, 2008 at 01:37am.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Honestly, there comes a time when you need to quit being nice. Do so OFF the court, but do it. Tell him that he has no business saying anything to you about correct or incorrect since he doesn't know either himself.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 11:41am
certified Hot Mom tester

Tell the guy that he is acting unprofessional, that you're not going to pay attention to anything else he has to say because he has lost all credibility with you and that if he keeps making calls in your area you will make calls in his, and very loudly.

Then smack him upside the head with a frying pan.

Oh yeah, if this jerk asked me before a game why I was wearing a jacket, I'd tell him it was my "evaluator" jacket and that all us evaluators wear one.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Tough situation. I'd have called the T's anyway, but after his comment if I had any reservations I'd set them aside just to make a point. If you've had similar problems with this guy in the past, then it's probably time you stood your ground. As for his calling phantom stuff in your area, I can see three courses of action:

1. Ignore it. Get in, get done, get out.
2. At the first time out or other break tell him that you'll stay in your area and you expect him to stay in his.
3. Take the somewhat facetious suggestion posted here recently and when he makes a phantom violation call in your area: blow your whistle, overrule him, and put the ball back in play before he has a chance to object.

I'd try #1. As long as his phantom calls don't affect the game, you're good. If his calls start to affect the game, I'd go to #2. If that didn't work, I'd imagine myself doing #3 just to make myself smile when it got bad, and go back to doing #1.

I'd also ask the assignor not to put this bozo with you any longer.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Oh yeah, if this jerk asked me before a game why I was wearing a jacket, I'd tell him it was my "evaluator" jacket and that all us evaluators wear one.
Or...

"All the good refs are wearing them this year. I see you didn't get the memo."
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 01:01pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Then smack him upside the head with a frying pan.

Is is standard procedure for evaluators in your area to carry frying pans, or is this just your personal weapon of choice?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PAT THE REF
Thanks for the responses... I just dont want to ruffle any feathers because I would really like to move on and up to higher levels of ball... Anyone know of the best way to break into college ball or even Juco in the NJ,NY area? I know I have some time but any camps or other information people could send me would be appreciated.

Thanks
Pat The Ref
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 05:44pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
There is a reason the guy is doing a MS game after 5 years. Issue the T, just to spite him. Get done & get out. Have a talk with your assignor about this moron. Sounds like he is in it for the money or he would have purchased a jacket.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by footlocker
i'd just talk bad about him behind his back to every ref in the area that will listen. that should fix things.
I don't think he has to or should, sounds like he's 'turnkey' and everyone has the same opinion of him, this clown will self destruct on his own.

I'd move on and forget about him, not worth the time thinking about.
Old Sat Jan 05, 2008, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAT THE REF
Anyone know of the best way to break into college ball or even Juco in the NJ,NY area? I know I have some time but any camps or other information people could send me would be appreciated.
Pat, when someone acts like this, just give the head nod, say "OK' a lot, and then just do your thing. Call the T's, just do the best you can. Ignore everything else. As far as getting into JC/D-3, find out who the supervisors for those conferences are, and then send him an e-mail, asking what camps you can go to this summer to be evaluated. If you know someone working for one of those supervisors, a reference wouldn't hurt either. My guess is that there are functions at FDU over the summer where you can get the expsoure you need for that.