The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

I only have seven years and I think my partner has two and we doing a girls var. game.I was down the court as lead when my partner as trail blew his whistle and stopped play.He turned and talked to the coach in the backcourt and then the other coach walked up said something and walked off.I was on my way over and he waved me off as he prepared for a in bounds. As I made my way back to my spot I could still hear fans yelling about what does he think he is doing.When we got in the locker room I said what happened and he said the coach was chirping and he stopped the game to warn him.I said if the coach is saying enough that you feel a warning as you run by isn't enough he needs a "T".Did I give good advice?
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

I've seen a veteran official in my association use this mechanic effectively, but he stopped the game to warn a player, not a coach, and he did it after a made basket when his team was inbounding the ball so as to not disrupt the game.

I don't think I would stop the game to warn a coach, especially if I was not a familiar official to that coach. I'd either T him up if it was warranted or wait for a stoppage in play and then let him know that I have heard enough.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

This has to be taken care of just as you advised. I would think that you are just setting yourself up for a confrontation by stopping the game this way.

Earlier this week I had a coach "inquiring" about a play and as I gave a quick answer, I was also giving his point guard a 5 sec count...Yep, I got to 5 and we went the other way.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 11:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by refjef40
... he stopped the game to warn him.I said if the coach is saying enough that you feel a warning as you run by isn't enough he needs a "T".Did I give good advice?
refjef40,
Situations differ. Some skins are thicker.
It had to have been strange to see your partner do that.

But in picturing the sitch, I would have loved to have seen the coach's face when your partner turned and blew it.
If that didn't get the coach's attention, nothing should.

mick
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Question I only have one question

Did the game get better after he took this action?

Here's betting it did. It may be unorthodox, others may have different approaches, but if it did the job without unduly interrupting play, good on him. Sounds like ball was probably backcourt, it is the first half, so it's not the worst time and place to do this.
Old Thu Feb 13, 2003, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

I think you can effectively "warn" the coach or talk him down in this situation without stopping play. If it's bad enough to stop the game, it should be a "T". If not, address it at the next convenient dead ball.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 02:03am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

To Hawks coach no things went worse.I forgot to mention that opposing coach was yelling at him that he stopped a fast break even though she had it in the backcourt.The coach who got warned shut up as far as I know but a warning as he ran by might haved helped.Its been said here before but I wanted to again give Hawks coach thanks for coming in here and giving a coach's viewpoint.I would like to see more of that.
Old Fri Feb 14, 2003, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

OOPS

I wasn't thinking about who would be in possession. If T was in front of a bench in the backcourt in the first half, it was the defense's bench. T should never have stopped the game like that without a tech - he would hear it from me as well, especially if we were breaking. That is a lack of awareness, and a bad decision.