The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Blow the whistle on cancer - know anything about it?

Just got an email from one of my NAIA assignors, he mentioned something about "Blow the whistle on cancer" being first week in Feb for men's officials and second week for women's. Apparently ref's will be wearing white shoes and using a 'cancer whistle'. Anybody know anything more on this? He told us to google it and check NCAA's website, but I couldn't find anything on it. Where does one get the 'cancer whistles'?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 01:29am
M.A.S.H.

http://www.naso.org/jimmyv/

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk jhawk
Where does one get the 'cancer whistles'?
Just a different color of Fox40. This year men's officials will use a blue whistle and women's officials will use a pink whistle.

Last edited by tjones1; Tue Jan 08, 2008 at 01:35am.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 01:36am
Esteemed Forum Member

“Blow The Whistle on Cancer”

Make a Difference, “Blow The Whistle on Cancer”

Where can an official help fight cancer? On the basketball court. This year, IAABO is joining
forces with the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) and the American
Cancer Society during the“Coaches vs. Cancer” crusade. Officials can do their part to blow the whistle
on this disease which affects too many people. To help, all one needs to do is donate up to 25% of
a game fee to this worthy cause. During the week of January 27-February 2, 2008, participating officials
will display their commitment to the campaign by using a blue or pink whistle that will be provided to
him/her once a contribution to the crusade has been made. Please make the court a bit more colorful
the week of January 27th - February 2st. Help IAABO show the athletic community how determined we
are to “Blow the Whistle on Cancer”.

http://www.iaabo.org/Blow%20the%20wh...er!%202007.pdf

Our local IAABO board is behind this 100%.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=tjones1Just a different color of Fox40. This year men's officials will use a blue whistle and women's officials will use a pink whistle.[/QUOTE]

I figured as much... but... who do you 'donate' the money to to get one? Is the IAABO running this or the Jimmy V foundation or what? is there an official release from ncaa authorizing officials to participate or something?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

On our board the whistles were ordered through IAABO and will be distributed by our secretary. Each official that participates will donate a portion of a game fee. The secretary/treasure will collect fees and send one check to IAABO. I believe form is on IAABO web site. I don't know about the white shoes.
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Also I have not heard about NCAA participation in my area, only at the high school level.