The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

When to give it up...

I'm talking about girls basketball.

For those that have, when in your progression is it time to try to get out of it?

Firstly, I don't want to come off big timing nor downgrading the girls game, but frankly it is what it is.

Secondly I know this is a question without a definite answer but any experiences that can be shared is welcome.

This is my fourth year overall, and my first with games above HS. I'm nervous about my next upcoming game on this Sat, not because it's a college game, but because by the quirk of the schedule I've had only 1 boys game (of 7) in the last two weeks including tomorrow night, and am afraid of how I can "rachet up" my game come Sat. I've worked really hard at keeping a patient whistle the last couple of weeks during these girls games but I'm not always consistent with what my partners are expecting which makes for some difficult situations.

My main assignor has already hinted at moving me up to varsity boys only next year, so I'm pretty good there, but for those outstate schools that I use to fill my schedule with, do I just say no thanks?
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Only you can answer that question. Do what's right for you.

As far as having trouble "ratcheting up your game" because you've been workign some girls games, I think that's ridiculous. Lots of officials do boys HS, girls HS and college games. A good official can adjust to the game they have that night.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

You're probably right about that and I worded that poorly, I didn't mean for it to sound ridiculous, but remember this is coming from someone this is new to, that is the transition back and forth. For you it may be old hat, for me, well that's why I'm asking.

But mentally it's not the same, at least for me. That's a disservice to myself and the players on that game.

I guess you're right and I've pretty much answered my own question. Just looking for experiences from others.

Last edited by eyezen; Fri Jan 04, 2008 at 12:14am.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 12:26am
Do not give a damn!!

What you are thinking is completely normal and expected. If you do not like girl's basketball, whether someone else likes it does not mean you have to just go along. There is a reason why they only want officials at the college level to work one side or the other. And a lot of officials make a choice to work one side or the other. This is not an unusual choice or decision. I decided several years ago I only liked working boy's basketball because that is what I envisioned myself doing when I got into officiating. And because I felt I did not give my all, I got out of girl's basketball. I just do not have a passion for it and if you do not have passion for it stop working those games. I also like working less days a week instead of trying to work every night working both and being frustrated.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 12:40am
Smitty08

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen
I'm talking about girls basketball.

For those that have, when in your progression is it time to try to get out of it?

Firstly, I don't want to come off big timing nor downgrading the girls game, but frankly it is what it is.

Secondly I know this is a question without a definite answer but any experiences that can be shared is welcome.

This is my fourth year overall, and my first with games above HS. I'm nervous about my next upcoming game on this Sat, not because it's a college game, but because by the quirk of the schedule I've had only 1 boys game (of 7) in the last two weeks including tomorrow night, and am afraid of how I can "rachet up" my game come Sat. I've worked really hard at keeping a patient whistle the last couple of weeks during these girls games but I'm not always consistent with what my partners are expecting which makes for some difficult situations.

My main assignor has already hinted at moving me up to varsity boys only next year, so I'm pretty good there, but for those outstate schools that I use to fill my schedule with, do I just say no thanks?
First time poster, long time lurker.

I enjoy Girls HS and AAU BBall. Would rather ref them than boys. No testosterone, purer play (not necessarily better), and most of all, many times they exceed my expectations of what women can do on the court - a chance to impressed more often (intangible benefit of being on the same court). They are more polite, and when they disagree, they are smarter about how to vocalize it - even funnier.

My point is that if you strictly want to ref the best "athletes", then go for boys. But don't downgrade the women's game - Pat Summitt would be unhappy!

Remember the chick who played for the USA olympic softball team - the pitcher who strikes out major league hitters? 'nuff said. Would rather watch her any day than some .215 major leaguer. Same holds true for me with women's BBall.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
With that attitude, you shouldn't have been doing it in the first place.

There's nothing wrong with doing only one or only the other, nor with doing both. There is something wrong with working a game only to "fill out your schedule."
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

I apologize if you misinterpreted what I said. That comment was based on those games that do not come from my main assignor. I get really good boys games from the outstate. I don't consider them "filler" in the derogatory sense.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 09:02am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
What attitude? It doesn't sound to me like he's insulting anyone. He's just noting the obvious difference between boys and girls ball. That's what it sounds like to me, anyway.

For what it's worth, my schedule is now about 60% college vs. 40% HS, and I still work girls HS ball. Did one just last night, actually. I do it for a couple of reasons. One, because it helps my HS assignor. Two, because girls deserve the best officiating they can get; just as the boys do.

It's an adjustment, yes, but I can do it. Plus, I've asked my assignor to limit me to 5 or 6 girls assignments and he's fine with that. So I can help out without having to bounce back and forth all that much.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins

There's nothing wrong with doing only one or only the other, nor with doing both. There is something wrong with working a game only to "fill out your schedule."
I'm with bob. If you're feeling is that a certain type of games is hurting you, then you are hurting those games and those kids. That's either by gender, age or level of play.

If you truly did mis-speak, and your question is ONLY about how to switch back and forth from level to level, then you just need to get in the habit of spending a little more time reviewing your posts before you hit the submit button.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 11:24am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
We really do not have a choice here. Our assignor assigns games. Period. Some may end up doing a 60-40 split one way or the other, but it seems rare that someone exclusively does one gender or the other. To put it in perspective, to the kids on the court, it is THE most important game of the night.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 11:47am
Esteemed Forum Member

Amen Scrapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Because girls deserve the best officiating they can get; just as the boys do.
As the father of two daughters, both of whom participated in both high school, and college sports, Amen.
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 12:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
What attitude? It doesn't sound to me like he's insulting anyone. He's just noting the obvious difference between boys and girls ball. That's what it sounds like to me, anyway.

For what it's worth, my schedule is now about 60% college vs. 40% HS, and I still work girls HS ball. Did one just last night, actually. I do it for a couple of reasons. One, because it helps my HS assignor. Two, because girls deserve the best officiating they can get; just as the boys do.

It's an adjustment, yes, but I can do it. Plus, I've asked my assignor to limit me to 5 or 6 girls assignments and he's fine with that. So I can help out without having to bounce back and forth all that much.
I am with you on this one. I think there are people here that are really sensitive when you say you do not like a level they personally do. Hell there are people around here (where I live) that even do not like to "waste their time" with boy's games at certain level of schools and would rather work the bigger schools where the players are more college ready than the smaller farm boy games where the playing days are over once HS ends. And let us not talk about college vs. HS games.

If you do not like something in your schedule and you have the capability to eliminate it, do that. This is not a primary job or source of income for most. If you do not enjoy working a certain type of ball stop working it. We all have our preferences and we all have things we do not like to do as much as other things. And that affects your enthusiasm and excitement for a particular level even if those do not want to admit it.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
If you do not like something in your schedule and you have the capability to eliminate it, do that. This is not a primary job or source of income for most. If you do not enjoy working a certain type of ball stop working it. We all have our preferences and we all have things we do not like to do as much as other things. And that affects your enthusiasm and excitement for a particular level even if those do not want to admit it.
Aw, geeze, there you go inserting common sense into this argument.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 12:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Aw, geeze, there you go inserting common sense into this argument.
I guess I will have to leave this thread now.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
Only you can answer that question. Do what's right for you.

As far as having trouble "ratcheting up your game" because you've been workign some girls games, I think that's ridiculous. Lots of officials do boys HS, girls HS and college games. A good official can adjust to the game they have that night.
Agreed. It did take me a while to figure out how to make that adjustment. After I was calling mostly boys, my girls games were less than stellar (my performance). I realized that I had to start the game (and pregame) with a different angle....expecting to call things in the girls games that I pass on in a boys game. If I called it like a boys game, it would, sooner or later, start unraveling. Now that I've figured out what I needed to do differently, my girls games that I get go a lot smoother.