The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

My partner made this call...

A1 scores a layup from a half court set. Many players are in the lane at the time.

As ball passes through the net, B1 slaps the ball (not too hard, but obviously ticked off that she got beat on D)

My partner gave B1 a delay of game warning. I have never seen the warning called this way, what do you guys think about calling the delay warning on the team about to inbound the ball?

Other officials have told me that my partner should have just started the 5 count when B1 slapped the ball since it was at her disposal.

There is not a great deal of room in this gym, so it's not like the ball went flying far away from the baseline, but in a large gym, the ball could roll very far away in a situation like this. Do you start the 5 count? Call time until you can place the ball at the disposal of team B? Or call the delay of game warning (or T, if 2nd violation)?
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I've never seen it cal1led this way, and I don't k1now why you'd want to. 2The 5 second count would serve the purpose of st1opping this kind of nonsense, wouldn't it?
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Weird call. Delay of game is supposed to punish you when you delay the "other team," not your own. Let the 5-second call do it's job on this situation.

Z
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Was the team that got the warning ahead? Late in the game? Might their actions have cost the other team some valuable time? Issue the warning or blow the whistle and stop the clock so as not to penalize the team trying to catch up.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 03:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

By rule, you cannot call this delay on the team about to inbound the ball. You should start your 5 second count because that player had the opportunity to take the ball OOB. However, you can call a T for preventing the ball from being put promptly into play, if you want. There is no legal warning that can be a part of this call, however. (NF rules)
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

slaps the ball not too hard. I am going to ignore it. Its not like she's doing it every time. I will start the count when they ready for the throwin.
Old Thu Feb 07, 2002, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Start the count, no delay warning.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
By rule, you cannot call this delay on the team about to inbound the ball. You should start your 5 second count because that player had the opportunity to take the ball OOB. However, you can call a T for preventing the ball from being put promptly into play, if you want. There is no legal warning that can be a part of this call, however. (NF rules)
I disagree with the "by rule" portion. Nothing in 4-46 or 10-1-5d says "by the team that just scored."

I do agree that it would be a rare call, and was probably properly handled in the original situation.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 12:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
I disagree with the "by rule" portion. Nothing in 4-46 or 10-1-5d says "by the team that just scored."

I do agree that it would be a rare call, and was probably properly handled in the original situation.
Bob - the word "interfering" is the key to me. The team entitled to the ball cannot "interfere" with the ball being put into play because when their player touches it, it is at their disposal. You cannot "interfere" with yourself. The term implies the ball was touched by the team not entitled to it because only they can "interfere" with a team's ability to put the ball promptly into play, which is the rule.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 02:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:

Bob,how about R10-3-7a?
Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 03:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:

Bob,how about R10-3-7a?
JR - I think you may be confusing two points. bob was trying to make the point that the rule does not indicate that you could not call a legal delay warning against the team entitled to the ball under the rules dealing specifically with interfering with the ball after a basket. My point there was that a team could not "interfere" with itself, and that the implication was you could only invoke this rule against the team not entitled to the ball. After all, if you could make the case that a team could interfere with itself, then you would have a foul if A2 bumped A1 while shooting and caused the shot to miss. OK - that's a stretch, but not by much, actually.

Then, I made the point that under the player technical rule (the one you quoted), you might call a T if their hit of the ball knocked it away, but I still don't think you could invoke that since it is at their disposal at that point and you are in your 5 second count, so it really doesn't delay the game under the intent of that rule.

There - now it's clear as mud.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 05:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

There - now it's clear as mud. [/B]
Yup,I get it now!
Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Air JC
Other officials have told me that my partner should have just started the 5 count when B1 slapped the ball since it was at her disposal.
I don't know if we should say that the ball is at her team's disposal.

We allow time outs in this situation by A, so I don't think we should stretch disposal out to the basket (usually teams immediately take it OOB, so this issue doesn't arise).

IMO, the correct thing is the delay warning for interference, 10-1-5d.

I know many here don't agree with the interpretation, but my reasoning is in-line with [Dick Knox's] interpretation regarding a player never taking the ball OOB and then making a "throw-in."

[Edited by Slider on Feb 9th, 2002 at 07:33 PM]
Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

When the ball is on the floor and B is making no effort to pick it up and inbound it, I begin my count.

When the ball is in the hands of a member of the throwing team and he doesn't step OOB, I begin my count.

When the ball is at the disposal and the throwing team bats the ball, I begin my count.
Old Sat Feb 09, 2002, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
When the ball is on the floor and B is making no effort to pick it up and inbound it, I begin my count.

When the ball is in the hands of a member of the throwing team and he doesn't step OOB, I begin my count.

When the ball is at the disposal and the throwing team bats the ball, I begin my count.
How do you reconcile that with your support for [Dick Knox's] interpretation (delay warning) for a player who never goes OOB for a throw-in?

[Edited by Slider on Feb 9th, 2002 at 07:34 PM]