Old Fri Feb 08, 2002, 03:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
By rule, you cannot call this delay on the team about to inbound the ball. You should start your 5 second count because that player had the opportunity to take the ball OOB. However, you can call a T for preventing the ball from being put promptly into play, if you want. There is no legal warning that can be a part of this call, however. (NF rules)
I disagree with the "by rule" portion. Nothing in 4-46 or 10-1-5d says "by the team that just scored."

I do agree that it would be a rare call, and was probably properly handled in the original situation.
Bob,how about R10-3-7a?
JR - I think you may be confusing two points. bob was trying to make the point that the rule does not indicate that you could not call a legal delay warning against the team entitled to the ball under the rules dealing specifically with interfering with the ball after a basket. My point there was that a team could not "interfere" with itself, and that the implication was you could only invoke this rule against the team not entitled to the ball. After all, if you could make the case that a team could interfere with itself, then you would have a foul if A2 bumped A1 while shooting and caused the shot to miss. OK - that's a stretch, but not by much, actually.

Then, I made the point that under the player technical rule (the one you quoted), you might call a T if their hit of the ball knocked it away, but I still don't think you could invoke that since it is at their disposal at that point and you are in your 5 second count, so it really doesn't delay the game under the intent of that rule.

There - now it's clear as mud.