The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Slider, I have been a basketball official for 31 years now, and for all of those years, every intepreter I have ever known, every time I have heard Dick Schindler, Mary Struckhoff, Hank Nichols, and Ed Bilik speak, and every rules clinic I have ever attended that dealt with throw-ins have stated that the if the ball is inbounds after a score by Team A and Team B refuses to pick up the ball to take it out-of-bounds for a throw-in, the official should start the throw-in count. The official should not stop the clock and administer the throw-in.
Good, when they put that on paper I'll be very happy.

BTW, I "just" thought of a question, if a player picks up a live ball IB and carries it OOB, isn't that a violation?

[Edited by Slider on Feb 14th, 2002 at 12:38 AM]
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Slider
BTW, I "just" thought of a question, if a player picks up a live ball IB and carries it OOB, isn't that a violation?
No, not if his team is entitled to a throw-in.

But then, hopefully, you already knew that.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Now, we are getting somewhere; Thank you for addressing this, but: Where is this exception to the OOB rule to be found? I interpret 9-3 to be for a live ball.

[On a "normal" throw-in the ball goes OOB dead, so the player does not cause a live ball to go OOB.]

Also, isn't it a violation for the in-bounder to be the first to touch the ball in bounds during a throw-in? Where is the exception for that violation?

[Edited by Slider on Feb 14th, 2002 at 02:57 AM]
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 09:34am
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Now, we are getting somewhere; Thank you for addressing this, but: Where is this exception to the OOB rule to be found? I interpret 9-3 to be for a live ball.

[On a "normal" throw-in the ball goes OOB dead, so the player does not cause a live ball to go OOB.]

Also, isn't it a violation for the in-bounder to be the first to touch the ball in bounds during a throw-in? Where is the exception for that violation?

[Edited by Slider on Feb 14th, 2002 at 02:57 AM]

This question is not meant to be mean spirited Slider, but how long have you been officiating. Your logic on this thread leads me to believe that you do not have a fundamental grasp of the rules and how they are to be interpreted, nor do you know how to look at a play and think logically at solving the problem.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Where is this exception to the OOB rule to be found? I interpret 9-3 to be for a live ball.
4-41-2,3
A throw-in is a method of putting the ball in play from out of bounds.
The throw-in and the throw-in count begin when the ball is at the disposal of a player of the team entitled to it.

Quote:
On a "normal" throw-in the ball goes OOB dead, so the player does not cause a live ball to go OOB.

You're very confused. What throw-in is not "normal?" The ball becomes live when it's at the thrower's disposal, no matter where the ball is.

Quote:
No, it's not. It's a violation for the thrower to be the first player to touch the ball inbounds after the ball has been released, passed, on a throw-in. 7-6-1

You complain about everyone's unwillingness to answer your questions. It's because your questions make no sense.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
4-41-2: A throw-in is a method of putting the ball in play from out of bounds.
-----
You're very confused. What throw-in is not "normal?" The ball becomes live when it's at the thrower's disposal, no matter where the ball is
-----
It's a violation for the thrower to be the first player to touch the ball inbounds after the ball has been released, passed, on a throw-in. 7-6-1
Thank You, they always say that the definitions are the most important part of the Rules.

Throw-in is from OOB by definition, 4-41-2.

An abnormal throw-in is one that starts in-bounds.

Finally, I don't see the word AFTER in 7-6-1.

However, in 9-2-6 I see, [The thrower shall not:] "Touch the ball in the court before it touches or is touched by another player."
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Throw-in is from OOB by definition, 4-41-2.

An abnormal throw-in is one that starts in-bounds.

Finally, I don't see the word AFTER in 7-6-1.

However, in 9-2-6 I see, [The thrower shall not:] "Touch the ball in the court before it touches or is touched by another player."
Where can I read about abnormal throw-ins in the rule book?

As far as 7-6-1 goes, I simply summarized the rule. Of course, the word after is part of my statement. Is it possible to touch the pass before it is released? If you pass the ball, and it's been released, the only way you can possibly touch it again is after it's been released.

Of course, since you live in the Twilight Zone, perhaps you can touch it before it's released.

Your argument is silly and pointless and I'm through discussing it.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2002, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As far as 7-6-1 goes, I simply summarized the rule. Of course, the word after is part of my statement. Is it possible to touch the pass before it is released? If you pass the ball, and it's been released, the only way you can possibly touch it again is after it's been released.
7-6-1 says noting to contradict 9-2-6; and 9-2-6 says nothing about before, during, or after a pass. So that means it applies throughout the whole time of the throw-in.