Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
Hillsboro, OR?
That's the one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
Hillsboro, OR?
Those Hillsboro guys are a bunch of "pretty boys".
You've not seen me then!!! I really doubt "pretty" is often used in connection with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Does Hillsboro still have the "Hillsboro Happy Days" parade? I took a band to it when I taught in California in the summer of 1974, Hillsboro was in the country in those days.
I think so. I know i"ve heard of it and I only moved here in the 90's....and there are now about 80k people in Hillsboro now...its developed a lot.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes
I don't think it can be illustrated more plainly than that.

I'm from the show me state. We need to see proof you can officiate rather than your word.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 07:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon30307
Where's the Appy State Score

Just having some fun.
You have to at the very least beat us before you can talk crap. I told you this at the meeting I am telling you this now. Score more than 10 points against USC before you talk.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 07:49pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by budjones05
I'm from the show me state. We need to see proof you can officiate rather than your word.
I would have no problem with this at all. If someone gives me a fair evaluation and I don't stack up to the varsity officials then I would have nobody to blame but myself.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 07:49pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
What Juulie siad is simply not true. In fact, I'm working a 6A Boys Varsity game this Friday with an official that moved to Portland this last summer.

What is true is that you can't have any Varsty games the first few weeks of the first season....mostly due to our consitutional membership criteria.

Here's our process:
  1. All transfers will participate in a transfer scrimmage and assigned to a transfer training class.
  2. The first few weeks of games will be JV or lower (depending on the scrimmage evaluation). A qualified transfer will likely be working mostly 5A/6A JV boys.
  3. To work Varsity games, you have to be a "regular" member.
  4. To become a regular member, they have to get 5 peer evaluations at any Freshman or higher game.
  5. They then apply to the board for regular membership....which is mostly a formality and I know of no rejections for experienced transfers.
For a qualified transfer, they're almost always a regular member within 2-4 weeks of the start of the season. In fact, the commish usually schedules them for Varsity games in January anticipating they'll complete their "bookkeeping" requirements.
This system makes sense to me and I would have no problem with this.
Old Wed Jan 02, 2008, 07:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Call it "good old boy", loyalty to a fault, comfortable with the devil you know etc. etc. you've worked with and seen work men/women scatched your head and wondered how in the hell they get this game? You've worked with or seen work men/women and said to yourself I can't believe so and so won't give them varsity games.
Of course I have seen that. That does not mean that there is a master plan to keep other officials out of the loop either. I also see a lot of sophomore officials (who are supposed to be the next in line) and I wonder how could they even handle varsity game if someone in my game does not show up? I do not see a lot of officials on the cusp that are not getting opportunities. I might work with a couple of people that I wonder why they are there, but I am not seeing many that are really ready to step in either. If you are going to replace the old guard, you have to have people to replace them too.

Quote:
I was at a meeting, camp I don't remember which in which an assignor discussing on how to move up from underclass to varsity said I don't care if someone just moved into the area and did the state tourney final the first year he/she won't get varsity games. Not wanting varsity games from this particular assignor I asked "so if Hugh Hollins (I think that's his name) a NBA Ref moved into the area and wanted to work you wouldn't give him a varsity game. The reply I received ... next question.
And that is that particular assignor. That does not mean that there are others that share that opinion. As a matter of fact if that was the case, I would have not worked varsity my first year in the Chicago area and two assignors gave me a good handful right off the bat and I had previous varsity experience. And also realize that some of them say one thing to not keep up the expectations of most, and when they find an official that is clearly qualified they pick them up. I work in a couple of leagues now the assignor claimed it would take years to get in their league regardless of your experience and ability. Then when I went to their camp, I was picked up immediately. And I know someone right now that camp into town about two years ago and worked varsity off the bat as well.

Quote:
Some complaints are legit and some are excuses as much as we want it to be life is not fair. That's just the way it is.
One of the problems in our area is that officials often put all their eggs in one basket. They only want to work for a couple of guys that are close to them. If they tried to look at a broader area, they might not work more of a varsity schedule than they currently do. The best examples are guys directly inside of Chicago. Many of these guys only want to work one of the two leagues in the city limits. If they were willing to go outside of the city limits, they could easily work other games. But in many of their minds working 10 miles outside of the city is "too far" and they do not get games they would ordinarily be available for. Many times it is self-inflected on what they can or cannot do. And let us face it; all officials are not qualified to work a freshman game, let alone a varsity contest. And many of those officials are almost never realistic with what they can or cannot do.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
You have to at the very least beat us before you can talk crap.

All Bowl games results under Lloyd Carr's regime. SEC who???

2008 Michigan 41, Florida 35
2002 Michigan 38, Florida 30
2001 Tennessee 45, Michigan 17
2000 Michigan 31, Auburn 28
1999 Michigan 35, Alabama 34 (OT)
1998 Michigan 45, Arkansas 31

BTW, Ohio State is 0-8 against the SEC in Bowl Games.Peace
And what is the actual record between OSU and UM for the same ten years you reference?
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I wasn't held back at all while I lived in the area. I just know of more than one official who wasn't given a schedule the goes along with their ability. Those officials would have been given varsity schedules in board 12 or 134.
You stated..."I was initally held back when I got to the DC area." That's why I stated what I did. I agree with that some officials fared better in the District (and possibly in MD), than VA. I specifically remember a JV official that couldn't advance past the JV level (decent official that never really tried to get better), went into the District (he actually worked in the District) and received nothing but varsity games. Go figure.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
You've not seen me then!!! I really doubt "pretty" is often used in connection with me.
I don't know, Camron, I'm always sort of envious of that pretty, shiny pate of yours!

Also, thanks for correcting me about the transfers getting varsity. But even with what you said, it doesn't happen often. I know several people who were getting solid top level varsity schedules in their previous areas and didn't get any varsity in Portland for a year or two. People who really were good enough. I just didn't want Bud to think it would be automatic .
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 03:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Getting back to the OP

Bud - are you "in town" now? I'm working this Saturday at Beaverton HS if you want to stop by.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
One of the problems in our area is that officials often put all their eggs in one basket. They only want to work for a couple of guys that are close to them. If they tried to look at a broader area, they might not work more of a varsity schedule than they currently do. The best examples are guys directly inside of Chicago. Many of these guys only want to work one of the two leagues in the city limits. If they were willing to go outside of the city limits, they could easily work other games. But in many of their minds working 10 miles outside of the city is "too far" and they do not get games they would ordinarily be available for. Many times it is self-inflected on what they can or cannot do. And let us face it; all officials are not qualified to work a freshman game, let alone a varsity contest. And many of those officials are almost never realistic with what they can or cannot do.
This is exactly my experience. When I started, I worked "exclusively" for one assignor. It seemed fine...he had a lot of leagues and a lot of games and I got a lot of assignments. Then I found I could never advance with him because he had a huge need for officials who could work the freshmen/JV doubleheaders that started at 3:30. When I asked for varsity games, he said he had none. He had never seen me work and he made it clear he was not interested in how many camps I attended or even in seeing me work.

We had a falling out three years ago because I pushed for varsity games. It forced me to find other assignors. One gave me varsity games immediately; another a mixed schedule; and the third a JV schedule with a promise that he would see me work to consider me for varsity. I now have a full varsity schedule...which is what I wanted. I have four assignors instead of one and I have to travel more than I would like some nights. But the trade-off has been worth it.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I don't know, Camron, I'm always sort of envious of that pretty, shiny pate of yours!

Also, thanks for correcting me about the transfers getting varsity. But even with what you said, it doesn't happen often. I know several people who were getting solid top level varsity schedules in their previous areas and didn't get any varsity in Portland for a year or two. People who really were good enough. I just didn't want Bud to think it would be automatic .
I have to make a correction to my earlier post....the specific person I was refering to was in our association last year (I didn't realize he was). He may or may not have received some Varsity games his first year...I don't know. That said, I do know of at least 1 other who did.

I too know of people that were getting varsity games before and do not get right back into varsity here. Officials from different areas are not necessarily equal. An official moving from an area that only has 3A or smaller ball and works 100% varsity and even state tourmaments is NOT necessarily going to be of the calibre of officials that are used to working 5A/6A. We could have a transfer who has been the state tournament rep from another association move in and then not even be in the top 30-40 here. Go to the state tourney and watch....there's always 1-2 from smaller areas of the state that simply don't match up with the ones from the bigger areas like Portland, Salem, Eugene, etc.

It's like comparing the top team from a minor conference with the mid-level teams from a power conference....the automatic bids in the NCAA that get the last 10-15 slots in the seeding as compared to the #4,5,6 teams from the SEC, Big10, ACC, PAC-10, etc.. Compare Davidson, Wright State, Belmont, Eastern Kentucky, Central Conn., Jackson St., etc. to Purdue, Ariz. Duke, Indiana, Marquette, Vanderbilt, BYU, etc. Every once in a while, one of the minor conference teams is really good, but more often than not, thier best would be in the lower half (if not the bottom) of the power conferences.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I too know of people that were getting varsity games before and do not get right back into varsity here. Officials from different areas are not necessarily equal. An official moving from an area that only has 3A or smaller ball and works 100% varsity and even state tourmaments is NOT necessarily going to be of the calibre of officials that are used to working 5A/6A. We could have a transfer who has been the state tournament rep from another association move in and then not even be in the top 30-40 here. Go to the state tourney and watch....there's always 1-2 from smaller areas of the state that simply don't match up with the ones from the bigger areas like Portland, Salem, Eugene, etc..
Well sure but they might still be competent to do SOME varsity such as !A or 2A blow-out games.
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's like comparing the top team from a minor conference with the mid-level teams from a power conference....the automatic bids in the NCAA that get the last 10-15 slots in the seeding as compared to the #4,5,6 teams from the SEC, Big10, ACC, PAC-10, etc.. Compare Davidson, Wright State, Belmont, Eastern Kentucky, Central Conn., Jackson St., etc. to Purdue, Ariz. Duke, Indiana, Marquette, Vanderbilt, BYU, etc. Every once in a while, one of the minor conference teams is really good, but more often than not, thier best would be in the lower half (if not the bottom) of the power conferences.
Oh that BYU actually belonged in the same company with Purdue, et. al. But sadly they are almost always one and done in the big dance. (why is there no smilie for sobbing uncontrollably?)
Old Fri Jan 04, 2008, 11:31am
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Oh that BYU actually belonged in the same company with Purdue, et. al. But sadly they are almost always one and done in the big dance. (why is there no smilie for sobbing uncontrollably?)
I am sure Mark will be able to provide one if you ask him real nice.