Thread: I'm moving:(
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 03, 2008, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I don't know, Camron, I'm always sort of envious of that pretty, shiny pate of yours!

Also, thanks for correcting me about the transfers getting varsity. But even with what you said, it doesn't happen often. I know several people who were getting solid top level varsity schedules in their previous areas and didn't get any varsity in Portland for a year or two. People who really were good enough. I just didn't want Bud to think it would be automatic .
I have to make a correction to my earlier post....the specific person I was refering to was in our association last year (I didn't realize he was). He may or may not have received some Varsity games his first year...I don't know. That said, I do know of at least 1 other who did.

I too know of people that were getting varsity games before and do not get right back into varsity here. Officials from different areas are not necessarily equal. An official moving from an area that only has 3A or smaller ball and works 100% varsity and even state tourmaments is NOT necessarily going to be of the calibre of officials that are used to working 5A/6A. We could have a transfer who has been the state tournament rep from another association move in and then not even be in the top 30-40 here. Go to the state tourney and watch....there's always 1-2 from smaller areas of the state that simply don't match up with the ones from the bigger areas like Portland, Salem, Eugene, etc.

It's like comparing the top team from a minor conference with the mid-level teams from a power conference....the automatic bids in the NCAA that get the last 10-15 slots in the seeding as compared to the #4,5,6 teams from the SEC, Big10, ACC, PAC-10, etc.. Compare Davidson, Wright State, Belmont, Eastern Kentucky, Central Conn., Jackson St., etc. to Purdue, Ariz. Duke, Indiana, Marquette, Vanderbilt, BYU, etc. Every once in a while, one of the minor conference teams is really good, but more often than not, thier best would be in the lower half (if not the bottom) of the power conferences.