Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace
notes in red

Do you guys use two hand reporting? No
Mel reported a foul with both hands late in the 2nd quarter.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Mel Whitworth? He's still alive??

Just kidding. Mel's a great guy. Trivia: remember that clip of Larry Bird shooting that shot from behind the backboard that went in? Word has it that it was Mel, an NBA official at the time (obviously), who waived it off.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

2nd half

The big guy for Oak Hill can jump!

Ok, nothing bad, I'm just curious. We never bounce the ball across the lane on a throw-in. We always rotate to that side of the floor and administer the throw-in. What do other areas do?

The big guy can run, too.

Brendan with the T!

I saw him woofing at Brad earlier that he was hit on the arm. Good call to shut the prima dona up!!!

Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 12:33am
Huck Finn

We try to move to the side of the lane. Bouncing across is a Women's college mechanic. I don't have anything against the Women's game, it just isn't a NFHS mechanic.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Mel Whitworth? He's still alive??

Just kidding. Mel's a great guy. Trivia: remember that clip of Larry Bird shooting that shot from behind the backboard that went in? Word has it that it was Mel, an NBA official at the time (obviously), who waived it off.
Probably why he reported with two hands. Hmmm...

Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
We try to move to the side of the lane. Bouncing across is a Women's college mechanic. I don't have anything against the Women's game, it just isn't a NFHS mechanic.
My feeling as well. But I'm sure other areas do it differently.

Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Great job, guys!

Brendan sticks the #1 rated player in the country, proving to us all that you don't have to listen to anybody! Glad it didn't turn into an OJ Mayo situation.

Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 06:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Great job, guys!

Brendan sticks the #1 rated player in the country, proving to us all that you don't have to listen to anybody! Glad it didn't turn into an OJ Mayo situation.
He was obviously aware that he didn't have 4 fouls.

Seriously I thought that the crew looked very good. I liked the way that they allowed the kids to block shots and didn't unnecessarily penalize good defensive plays.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 07:17am
In Memoriam

I watched it off and on. Well officiated. I expected no less.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 07:20am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
609 on DTV.
148 on DISH. They have some varied stuff on there.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sun Dec 30, 2007 at 08:05am.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2007, 01:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace
Thats unfortunate. You get digital cable? If so - check that.

I have the 4 ESPNs on Analouge and again on Digital.
I get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNC (classic) and ESPNN (news). I checked my menu and no ESPNU. I even called my son, who is a manager at Comcast, to verify. He said nope.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 03:07am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Good foul selection.

Thanks

Good coverage. Noticed Brad dropped for Brendan even though it was his call, in his area.

Don't remember this specifically -- do you remember the time in the game? (I'm sure you took COPIOUS notes!!! LOL)

Good PC by Brendan with under a minute to go in the 2nd.

This was the "hook" call, right? I had a whistle on this too from trail and the Oak Hill coach (and his assistants) complained about it! Very easy call we thought!!

Do you guys use two hand reporting?

No.

Counts are a little slow. That's easy to see with the clock at the bottom of the screen.

Yeah -- mine tend to be... I always use the clock for my 10-second count anyway... but for 5-seconds I am just slow (but always consistent of course! )

Correctly put .5 back on the clock at the end of the 2nd.

However, the timer didn't know how to reset the clock to tenths.

If we had known how much time it was going to take to handle this we never would have done it! Normally you just tell the time to put time back on and they put it back on... This took FOREVER!!!

However, as you pointed out, it was the right call... I was opposite and had the clock and thought we needed to put time back on -- Brendan came in from table side and said the same thing. Since the offensive team had the ball underneath their own basket, it make even more sense to put the time back on.

Then the horn DOESN'T go off to end the half, even though it did the first time... And the 3-pointer that Madison launched after we put time back on WOULD have been good, because I look at the clock after he shot the ball and there was still time running down... I'm sure that would have been *interesting* so I am glad it didn't happen!
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 03:13am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Ok, nothing bad, I'm just curious. We never bounce the ball across the lane on a throw-in. We always rotate to that side of the floor and administer the throw-in. What do other areas do?

We bounce across the lane in the backcourt only... Not always, but if the other two refs head down the court we will just bounce across instead of rotating.

Brendan with the T!

I saw him woofing at Brad earlier that he was hit on the arm. Good call to shut the prima dona up!!!

LOL -- yeah, you saw that?! At the next free throw he was not lined up on the lane, but standing near Brendan at trail... I was at lead and moved into the lane, got his attention and said, "If you do that to me again I am going to light you up real quick!" and Brendan gave him a few words of advice (If I recall correctly telling him not to embarrass us).

A few plays later he... how should we say this... emphatically told Brendan that he was fouled. I think Padgett is the one the says he used a word that started with "f" and ended with "uck" and was not "firetruck"...

Nice job Brendan -- whacking the #1 rated player in the nation!!!

Seriously, that kid is a great player... and THANK YOU commentators for pointing out that you do not get a lot of players receiving techs when their team is up by 24! LOL
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 03:15am
Official Forum Member

Brad,
Could you please expound on the decision to wear the grey shirts? My association is having a little issue with this at the moment.

Specifically, could you state: who sanctioned the event, who was the assignor, who made the decision on the shirts, what other options were available or considered, what impact, if any, it had on the TX associations to which any of you belong or from the state office.

Thanks.
PS If you don't feel comfortable posting any of that info just say so. I would like as much as possible though. It would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 03:17am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNC (classic) and ESPNN (news). I checked my menu and no ESPNU. I even called my son, who is a manager at Comcast, to verify. He said nope.
Yeah - Comcast is one that does not have it unfortunately... ESPN U is like the red-headed stepchild of the ESPN channels... Ever since another friend of ours had a game on there we have called it The Ocho (watch Dodgeball if you don't get it )

Not my TV debut, but was my *national* TV debut.

Jus sayin'

Was glad to be able to work it... especially with Brendan... The first of many to come!!