The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2 of our very own! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40680-2-our-very-own.html)

ace Sat Dec 29, 2007 09:33pm

2 of our very own on TV!

Administrator Brad and bball_junkie will be on ESPN U tonight working the 10PM CST game. Not sure on the teams but this tourny is one of the biggest and best national HS tournys all year.

I believe this is TV debut for both!

My money is on bball_junkie tossing!

Nevadaref Sat Dec 29, 2007 09:40pm

1. Where are these games being played?
2. I see that the first crew (Yates is playing) at 6PM EST is wearing grey shirts.

ace Sat Dec 29, 2007 09:42pm

1) Campbell Center in North Houston.
2) Gray shirts are the norm for this tourny. This tournament isn't scheduled by our local chapter, thus they can do that. Though most of the officials working are from the houston area.

Nevadaref Sat Dec 29, 2007 09:44pm

Thanks. Just found this on the ESPN website.

• Dec. 29: Houston vs. the Nation (doubleheader), 9 p.m., ESPNU: The matchups have not been decided but Oak Hill and No. 2 St. Patrick (Elizabeth, N.J.) will play two Houston are teams. Event director Hal Pastner of Vision Sports said the teams will likely play Yates (Houston) and Klein Collins, two of Texas' strongest large school clubs at the 7,000-seat Campbell Center. The game is a homecoming for OHA 6-10 junior center Tiny Gallon, who attended nearby Atascocita High in Humble. Forward Quintrell Thomas (No. 88) and highly-touted junior guard Dexter Strickland lead St. Patrick. Anthony Jones of Yates, a 6-11 center, has signed with Baylor.

rainmaker Sat Dec 29, 2007 09:45pm

What's ESPN U?? Is it one of the regular ESPN channels? If I go to a sports bar, would they have it?

ace Sat Dec 29, 2007 09:48pm

Julie they may or may not. ESPN U, usually comes with digital cable, and comes packaged with ESPN2, ESPN Classic, and ESPN News.

I know that buffalo wild wings in Houston has ESPN U on regulary.

rainmaker Sat Dec 29, 2007 09:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ace
Julie they may or may not. ESPN U, usually comes with digital cable, and comes packaged with ESPN2, ESPN Classic, and ESPN News.

I know that buffalo wild wings in Houston has ESPN U on regulary.

Yea, well that's a little too far for me to travel. I'll make some calls.

ace Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:03pm

Games fixin to start.

Mark Padgett Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:11pm

I get four ESPN channels but that's not one of them. :(

ace Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I get four ESPN channels but that's not one of them. :(

Thats unfortunate. You get digital cable? If so - check that.

I have the 4 ESPNs on Analouge and again on Digital.

BktBallRef Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:24pm

609 on DTV.

Ace, who's who?

OK, I've got bball_junkie pegged from his pictures on his family's website.

ace Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:36pm

bball_junkie (Brendan) (U1) is the tall lanky official.
Brad is the other tall guy (U2) .
The third (shorter) guy is Mel Whitworth. Mel's the one with the 'different' sounding whistle.

BktBallRef Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:53pm

Okay, a little critique. :)

Good foul selection.

Good coverage. Noticed Brad dropped for Brendan even though it was his call, in his area.

Good PC by Brendan with under a minute to go in the 2nd.

Do you guys use two hand reporting?

Counts are a little slow. That's easy to see with the clock at the bottom of the screen.

Correctly put .5 back on the clock at the end of the 2nd.

However, the timer didn't know how to reset the clock to tenths.

ace Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Okay, a little critique. :)

Good foul selection.

Good coverage. Noticed Brad dropped for Brendan even though it was his call. But they had good communication. -- These guys are best friends and have been refereeing together for atleast 8 years. You'd swear they were brothers becasue of how well they know each other.

Good PC by Brendan with under a minute to go in the 2nd.

Do you guys use two hand reporting? No

Counts are a little slow. That's easy to see with the clock at the bottom of the screen.

Correctly put .5 back on the clock at the end of the 2nd.

However, the timer didn't know how to reset the clock to tenths. Common problem around here. LOL, and everywhere I imagine.

notes in red

Scooby Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:03am

Congrats guys.