The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 03:21am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Brad,
Could you please expound on the decision to wear the grey shirts? My association is having a little issue with this at the moment.

Specifically, could you state: who sanctioned the event, who was the assignor, who made the decision on the shirts, what other options were available or considered, what impact, if any, it had on the TX associations to which any of you belong or from the state office.

Thanks.
PS If you don't feel comfortable posting any of that info just say so. I would like as much as possible though. It would be greatly appreciated.
Not sure who sanctioned the event... The UIL governs high school athletics in Texas, so somehow they did I assume. However, in Texas we have a separate officials association, which is different than most states.

The assignor is a local Houston official and when he started assigning this tournament years back (about 6 years ago I think) he decided to use the grey shirts... Basically it is his show, so he can do whatever he wants.

I don't really have a strong opinion on them... I think that they look good, but don't mind our regular black and white either...
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 04:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Brad,
Could you please expound on the decision to wear the grey shirts? My association is having a little issue with this at the moment.

Specifically, could you state: who sanctioned the event, who was the assignor, who made the decision on the shirts, what other options were available or considered, what impact, if any, it had on the TX associations to which any of you belong or from the state office.

Thanks.
PS If you don't feel comfortable posting any of that info just say so. I would like as much as possible though. It would be greatly appreciated.
We have kind of a unique situation, regarding gray/stripe shirts, in our Association, I think.

Our State Tournaments have been using grays for a few years now.
But, our association has been using the good ol' black and whites(Unless we went to the State Tournament)...until this year. We decided to go with the grays as the "default" shirt. In other words, the new guys would go ahead and buy grays and not worry about buying black and white. If we were going to officiate with a newer official, then the veteran officials would have to also have a gray shirt.

Where we are different, I believe, is that we can decide...as a crew...what color shirts we will wear. I have found that most of the Varsity guys are going with Black/White shirts. But, if just one individual wants to go with gray...then the whole crew must.

We usually tell our partners what color shirt to bring to the game when we make our e-mails/phone calls confirming our assignment. I bring both...just in case.
Richland, WA
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Not sure who sanctioned the event... The UIL governs high school athletics in Texas, so somehow they did I assume. However, in Texas we have a separate officials association, which is different than most states.

The assignor is a local Houston official and when he started assigning this tournament years back (about 6 years ago I think) he decided to use the grey shirts... Basically it is his show, so he can do whatever he wants.

I don't really have a strong opinion on them... I think that they look good, but don't mind our regular black and white either...
Thanks, Brad.
My state office has contacted the NFHS and they explicitly said NO to the greys.
We have a rep on the rules committee right now and so we follow the particulars. We don't wish to jeopardize his position.

I wonder if any group/state wearing the greys loses their representation/vote/rule change submission rights with the NFHS.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

RD,
Where do you officiate?
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
We try to move to the side of the lane. Bouncing across is a Women's college mechanic. I don't have anything against the Women's game, it just isn't a NFHS mechanic.
Not for anyone I work for. Let me clarify, if you are going long, you can bounce across but if you're staying, you rotate over.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 02:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I think we should all go to the greys with collars.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
RD,
Where do you officiate?
I believe RD is in Washington state, as I am. Our association has decided on using the grey shirt for all school games. Everything else we cover (AAU, YMCA, and rec league) we can wear what we want.

I have noticed that most of the new officials are just buying the grey though.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 04:06pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
Not for anyone I work for. Let me clarify, if you are going long, you can bounce across but if you're staying, you rotate over.
What do you mean? Are you saying that you do Women's college and if you are going the length of the court you move to the same side of the lane instead of bouncing across? I'm not 100% on the Women's mechanics, but in the Men's game we go to that side of the lane - NFHS mechanic also. For me it isn't so much about college, women's or NFHS. It is more about doing what we are supposed to do for that rule set. If they could agree on doing things the same way - not going to happen - it would be great.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 04:08pm
Huck Finn

Brad, did Steve assign these games? I didn't get to see the game, but I know you guys and I would expect nothing other than an outstanding job.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What do you mean? Are you saying that you do Women's college

Yes

and if you are going the length of the court you move to the same side of the lane instead of bouncing across?

If you are going long, just take a peek and see where you partners are. No need to make them switch up, just bounce across and go.

I'm not 100% on the Women's mechanics, but in the Men's game we go to that side of the lane - NFHS mechanic also. For me it isn't so much about college, women's or NFHS. It is more about doing what we are supposed to do for that rule set. If they could agree on doing things the same way

You are correct

not going to happen

You are correct

it would be great.
You are correct
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Great job, guys!

Brendan sticks the #1 rated player in the country, proving to us all that you don't have to listen to anybody! Glad it didn't turn into an OJ Mayo situation.
Yeah... I don't listen to a whole lot from players and I don't care who you are (credit to Larry the Cable Guy)! The fuse gets even shorter when you are waxing a team by 24 late in the game. Sprinkle in two warnings (one from Brad and one from myself) and an "F Bomb" and you have what I think all should agree is a recipe for the proverbial "Automatic T"!!! LOL
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 05:09pm
In Memoriam

The game is being replayed right now on ESPNU.

Officiating still looks pretty good.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Good coverage. Noticed Brad dropped for Brendan even though it was his call, in his area.

Don't remember this specifically -- do you remember the time in the game? (I'm sure you took COPIOUS notes!!! LOL)
Late 2nd quarter. There was a rebound and a putback on your side between the block and the glass.. Brendan was C, opposite. Two whistles, you dropped, definitely your call, no biggie. If I'm C, I let you have it so I can stay in the rocking chair.

Quote:
Good PC by Brendan with under a minute to go in the 2nd.
Quote:

This was the "hook" call, right? I had a whistle on this too from trail and the Oak Hill coach (and his assistants) complained about it! Very easy call we thought!!
Yes, it was a hook, which are normally not visible to anyone behind the play, as the Oak Hill bench would have been

Quote:
Do you guys use two hand reporting?
Quote:

No.
Noticed it once from Mel.

Quote:
Correctly put .5 back on the clock at the end of the 2nd.

However, the timer didn't know how to reset the clock to tenths.

If we had known how much time it was going to take to handle this we never would have done it! Normally you just tell the time to put time back on and they put it back on... This took FOREVER!!!

However, as you pointed out, it was the right call... I was opposite and had the clock and thought we needed to put time back on -- Brendan came in from table side and said the same thing. Since the offensive team had the ball underneath their own basket, it make even more sense to put the time back on.

Then the horn DOESN'T go off to end the half, even though it did the first time... And the 3-pointer that Madison launched after we put time back on WOULD have been good, because I look at the clock after he shot the ball and there was still time running down... I'm sure that would have been *interesting* so I am glad it didn't happen!
Yep, I remember your whistle and no horn.

Most clocks, you would enter 0-0-0-5 for .5.

I enjoyed watching, even though it wasn't much of a game.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Mon Dec 31, 2007 at 05:22pm.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks, Brad.
My state office has contacted the NFHS and they explicitly said NO to the greys.
We have a rep on the rules committee right now and so we follow the particulars. We don't wish to jeopardize his position.

I wonder if any group/state wearing the greys loses their representation/vote/rule change submission rights with the NFHS.
Officials wore grays supplied by the NCHSAA at last year's state championships. They will be mandatory in the playoffs this year and mandatory full time next year.

While the NFHS may not approve, I don't expect there will be any action taken against states that allow them. The NCHSAA would never have gone to them if that was going to happen.

Presently, we alternate the black/white shirt with the 4" inserts and the gray shirt.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 31, 2007, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What do you mean? Are you saying that you do Women's college and if you are going the length of the court you move to the same side of the lane instead of bouncing across?
In NCAW, the official (new T) can bounce the ball across the lane instead of moving to that saide and forcing old C to run "all the way" to the end to become new L.

If there's a TO, then new T is supposed to administer from teh "correct" side (not bounce the ball across).