The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

no shot

something I did not realize until we had a post game session (one of my favorite game rituals) varsity 3 man crew was delayed taking the court b/c of parents night so we taked about different situations we have been in... one instance was a player shooting at the wrong basket...I didnt know that it was not considered a shot taken but the points would be scored for the other team...scored points but no shot hows that? Second senario was inbounded ball that was thrown off of the backboard at the other end landed in the back court...considered backcourt violation poi is at division line...never thought of division line as a plane extending up toward the ceiling...this game makes a person THINK...thank to all you vet officials
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 01:40am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverdale
1) I didnt know that it was not considered a shot taken but the points would be scored for the other team...scored points but no shot hows that?

2) Second senario was inbounded ball that was thrown off of the backboard at the other end landed in the back court...considered backcourt violation poi is at division line...never thought of division line as a plane extending up toward the ceiling
1) Basketball basics. Any time a live ball enters a basket, you have to credit a score for the team whose basket it goes in. You can only have a "shot" or "try" at your own basket though. Shooting at the other team's basket is considered the same as being a dribble, but if the ball goes in, you count it. And 3-point shots only count at your own basket. Remember that and you got it made.

3) Unless I'm reading this wrong, this isn't a backcourt violation. You can't ever have a backcourt violation until a player on the offensive team has established player and thus team control. If they first establish player and team control on a throw-in in the backcourt, they have to move the ball into the frontcourt before they can violate by going back to the backcourt. If they first establish player and team control in the frontcourt on the throw-in, they can't then commit a backcourt violation obviously. Just think of the division line not even existing until somebody gains player control on a throw-in.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 03:01am
M.A.S.H.

I agree, I don't think it's a backcourt violation, play on. Also, technically you wouldn't have a POI (4-36) on a violation.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2007, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
I agree, I don't think it's a backcourt violation, play on. Also, technically you wouldn't have a POI (4-36) on a violation.
And, if you did have a backcourt violation, the inbounds spot is where the ball was touched, not (necessarily) the division line. And, the division line is not a "plane" -- the ball must actually reach the backcourt (see 2-Ball Location), not just cross the plane of the division line.

That's a lot of things to be wrong with one situation.