The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
did we get this right-mutifouls question

B1 fouls A1 (A is in the double bonus)- foul called. During the Dead ball B1 pushes A1. technical foul called Players seperate- while Ref is reporting fouls- A1 and B1 fight- FlagerantTechnical fouls called on A1 and B1- both players disqualified.....

Lane cleared
1. player fouled shoots the double bonus
2 lane cleared A shoots the technical
3 A gets the ball at Mid court....
4. A1 and B1 disqualified

the question seemed to be since the last foul was a double technical for fighting--- should you go with the arrow or since the fighting fouls canceled each other ,do you go with the last point of interruption.

thanks
stew in Va
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

It appears you handled it correctly - except that the way you have worded it a disqualified player (A1) attempted his free throws. A1 and B1 should have been disqualified immediately, and then A1's substitute should have attempted the free throws.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 11:55am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewcall
B1 fouls A1 (A is in the double bonus)- foul called. During the Dead ball B1 pushes A1. technical foul called Players seperate- while Ref is reporting fouls- A1 and B1 fight- FlagerantTechnical fouls called on A1 and B1- both players disqualified.....

Lane cleared
1. player fouled shoots the double bonus
2 lane cleared A shoots the technical
3 A gets the ball at Mid court....
4. A1 and B1 disqualified

the question seemed to be since the last foul was a double technical for fighting--- should you go with the arrow or since the fighting fouls canceled each other ,do you go with the last point of interruption.

thanks
stew in Va
1. A1 and B1 dq'd
2. sub for A1 shoots the double bonus
3. any Team A players shoots the T
4. Team A inbounds at midcourt opposite the table as part of B1s T??
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
It appears you handled it correctly - except that the way you have worded it a disqualified player (A1) attempted his free throws. A1 and B1 should have been disqualified immediately, and then A1's substitute should have attempted the free throws.
Actually A1 replacement did shoot the foul
thanks
stew in Va
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

The fighting fouls comprise a double flagrant technical, and the penalty would be DQ and POI, which I believe because of the succeeding foul calls would be A throw-in at midcourt.

All double personal fouls and double technical fouls are POI, which would only involve the AP arrow if there were no clear team control.

Edited to correct for my complete inability to read

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Fri Dec 28, 2007 at 01:09pm.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

So if you go in order:

1) shoot the double bonus w/ A1's sub

2) shoot the two T's w/ any member from A

3) double technical would then go to the AP to see who got the ball at midcourt. Would that be right???
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS 20
So if you go in order:

1) shoot the double bonus w/ A1's sub

2) shoot the two T's w/ any member from A

3) double technical would then go to the AP to see who got the ball at midcourt. Would that be right???
A double technical is POI. So would only go to the arrow if we're unclear who should have possession of the ball. In this case, I believe A gets the ball for a midcourt throw-in as a result of the first T.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
The fighting fouls comprise a double flagrant technical, and the penalty would be DQ and POI, which I believe because of the succeeding foul calls would be A throw-in at midcourt.

All double personal fouls and double technical fouls are POI, which would only involve the AP arrow if there were no clear team control.

Edited to correct for my complete inability to read
Not precisely right, but close enough as the administration is correct.
Strictly speaking in this case the POI is the awarding of the first of the two FTs that are due to A1's substitute because of the personal foul by B1.

Since a team is entitled to a FT, per 4-36-2b the game is picked up from there and then the rest of the fouls are penalized in order. As the final foul to be penalized is the intentional technical foul (for the dead ball contact) by B1, Team A will be awarded a throw-in at the division line following those FTs.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Strictly speaking in this case the POI is the awarding of the first of the two FTs that are due to A1's substitute because of the personal foul by B1.

Since a team is entitled to a FT, per 4-36-2b the game is picked up from there and then the rest of the fouls are penalized in order. As the final foul to be penalized is the intentional technical foul (for the dead ball contact) by B1, Team A will be awarded a throw-in at the division line following those FTs.
I can't make heads or tails out of this explanation, Nevada? Could you please spell it out in more detail? Are you talking about Fed? I don't get you at all!
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I can't make heads or tails out of this explanation, Nevada? Could you please spell it out in more detail? Are you talking about Fed? I don't get you at all!
All he's saying is that the POI isn't the half-court throw-in, but actually the administration of the free-throws. It doesn't change anything about the process, but knowing what POI really means and how it's applied can make a difference.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The problem I see with this is order of enforcement. 8-7 tells us, without exception, that "Penalties for fouls are administered in the order in which the fouls occurred."

So the administration of the fighting T's does not occur until after that for the personal foul and the first technical. There are rules that tell us we must replace the DQ'd players before proceeding with the first free throw. But that does not constitute administering the penalty for the double T.

4-36-2b is the proper POI option for this situation.

b. A free throw or a throw-in when the interruption occurred during this activity or if a team is entitled to such.

But when considered in concert with 8-7, that leaves the concluding phrase of 4-36-2b as the simplest possibility. At this point the only activity remaining is the throw-in due to the first technical, and team A "is entitled to such."

I think that makes more sense that saying that the POI was (emphasis on the past-tenseness of this argument) a few free throws ago. I can think of no other situation in which we would deem the POI to be a time that occurred previously in the game.

In the end, you are right that the end result is the same.

I've got to run and can't immediately think of any other cases that would be useful in thinking about this. If you've got one, I'd like to hear it.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've got to run and can't immediately think of any other cases that would be useful in thinking about this. If you've got one, I'd like to hear it.
A1 is fouled and A is in the double bonus. After the play, A2 and B2 fight. Proper administration?

A2 and B2 are charged with flagrant technicals and disqualified. Then the game proceeds with A1 shooting the double bonus with players on the lane.

If we waited until after the fouls were administered in order to apply POI, we'd clear the lane and then have a POI after the 2nd free throw.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The problem I see with this is order of enforcement. 8-7 tells us, without exception, that "Penalties for fouls are administered in the order in which the fouls occurred."
You hit upon a good point. One which the Fed has yet to realize. When they changed the penalty for double/simultaneous fouls and added the POI definition back in 2005-06, they failed to also alter 8-7.
8-7 needs to be amended to contain, "except for double and simultaneous fouls."

The fact is that in order to properly enforce the POI rule, we must ignore 8-7 in these situations. Post #12 by jdw demonstrates why.

PS rainmaker, yes, I am talking about NFHS rules. The real POI is how we make the ball live again.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sat Dec 29, 2007 at 09:58pm.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
PS rainmaker, yes, I am talking about NFHS rules. The real POI is how we make the ball live again.
So why wouldn't the POI be the inbound at the midcourt line for the T against B? I don't understand why you said the admin was right but the reason was wrong.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2007, 09:48pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
So why wouldn't the POI be the inbound at the midcourt line for the T against B?
Because the game was interrupted before the free throws were attempted. So the point of "interruption" is before the free throws. So when we resume at the POI, we resume with the free throws for the original foul.