The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Girls JV game. There was a shortage of players due to illness so the coaches decided to play just two 8 minute quarters. Their reasoning was that they wanted to use these same girls in the Varsity game.

At the end of the second (last) quarter, the score was tied at 14. I instructed the clock keeper to put on the time for an overtime. The scorer informed me that they couldn't because it would keep the girls from playing a full varsity game. I told him that overtime counted as the last quarter of the game. He stated that he agreed only if it was a full 4 quarter game. He said that, in this situation, overtime would count for a third quarter becuase they would have played more than 16 minutes.

It is really irrelevant because we ended up not playing and left it a tie, but I would like to know for my own personal knowledge. What is the correct ruling?
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Bob, I believe the scorer was correct in this situation. At any rate it is not our problem or jurisdiction to worry about quarters and I believe this could lead to problems. What if one team wanted to play the overtime and the other didn't? Guess they would have to forfeit. What if during the fourth quarter, A1 fouls out, coach says they only have four left, you say what about her A2 on the bench? Coach says I need her quarters for varsity she can't play. Brings up a serious dilemna for officials, by rule an eligible player must play. I don't have an answer, but I think I would handle it by having the coach remove the player from the bench if they were not eligible by her or her school standards. This has also come up when a school has an automatic suspension policy for technicals, what do you do if they are on the bench and coach says they can't play due to school policy. You can bet I will bring it up next year at the rules meeting, if I don't, remind me.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

According to the National Federation, the game can be shortened by mutual conscent of both coaches. I would say if the agreement was to play two quarters, that's fine, but if there is a tie at the end of the game, the overtime would be an extension, not an additional quarter.

Always remember Rev, you are the boss out there, not the scorekeeper.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

If we want to be really nit-picky, there would be no overtime period here - according to rule 5-7-1, "If the score is tied at the end of the fourth quarter, play shall continue . . ." (emphasis mine).

Now, if an overtime is played, it would considered the fourth quarter (5-7-3), which could affect eligibility.

Bottom line - let the state office sort it out later.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

The game is not a travesty, but it is a travesty of normalcy.

I would invoke 2-3 and shoot FT until we have a winner.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Slider
I would invoke 2-3 and shoot FT until we have a winner.
I finally get it. Slider is Zimp, isn't he?

Chuck
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Who is Zimp?

BTW, in case it isn't obvious, I would give the teams alternate, equal numbers of FTs until the score is no longer tied.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was just thinking the same thing.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 02:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Who is Zimp?

Zimp is the resident sage and rules guru on another discussion board.He is as revered over there as you are here.Officials line up to hear Zimp's wisdom and debate with him!BBref is a particular fan of Zimp,as he has learned many new things from him!
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

I would do my job, grab my paycheck and go. Let wiser heads and those who would care about something like this figure it all out.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 02:40pm
In Memoriam

Shootouts

Five players each team, one at a time, against one defender.
Each team shoots once... one-on-one.

If the floor is over an ice rink, remove wood, and play on the ice with the hoops perpendicular to the ice.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 03:33pm
In Memoriam

Re: Shootouts

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Five players each team, one at a time, against one defender.
Each team shoots once... one-on-one.

If the floor is over an ice rink, remove wood, and play on the ice with the hoops perpendicular to the ice.
And if it played by "ladies of the night",we could call it "ho-key".
Sigh!I think I need a nap!Real bad!
-Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul to keep
If I should die before Slider gets some clues
I pray the Lord to have someone else puke upon his shoes
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Zimp is the resident sage and rules guru on another discussion board.He is as revered over there as you are here.Officials line up to hear Zimp's wisdom and debate with him!BBref is a particular fan of Zimp,as he has learned many new things from him!
Zimp must be one helluva guy -

I only "attack" gurus, because I think they should know better, i.e., agree with me!!! And, I respect them all, though I don't often show it.

Loving the risk of offending everyone, here are my top 5 gurus on this forum (based on rules knowledge, game management wisdom, and flexibility of thought):

1. bob jenkins
2. Mark Padgett
3. mick
4. BktBallRef
5. Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

[Jurassic, that last crack may have cost you a spot - ]
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 04:07pm
In Memoriam

Wink I appreciate the thought

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Zimp must be one helluva guy -

I only "attack" gurus, because I think they should know better, i.e., agree with me!!! And, I respect them all, though I don't often show it.

Loving the risk of offending everyone, here are my top 5 gurus on this forum (based on rules knowledge, game management wisdom, and flexibility of thought):

1. bob jenkins
2. Mark Padgett
3. mick
4. BktBallRef
5. Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

Slider,
Jurassic Ref belongs with the Big Dogs. I am happy with their scraps.
mick
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 04:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

[/B]
Seriously,Slider,didn't you notice the smiley thingy beside the so-called "crack"?If I was gonna dump on you,you would have certainly been aware of it a lot sooner.I kid Mark T Denucci quite a bit,too.Doesn't mean I don't respect his rules knowledge and the effort he puts in.Besides,I reserve all my "dumping duties" for Larks(damn,now he's gonna be mad at me,too-I hope).
Btw,don't buy that "false modesty" crap from Mick,either.The "ol' feller" is pretty sharp.He's taught me a few things.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Feb 11th, 2002 at 03:54 PM]