The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

T or not??

I had a foul the other day....Coach is busting on me on the way to report..I lose track of who the foul is on.....I ask my partner for help...He can't help me ...I go to the table and no one there is for sure..So I tell them to mark it down as a team foul....I go to inbounds the ball near the teams bench that the foul was called....and I say Blue coming in....The coachs comment was ...Are you sure its blue coming in?? Surprised you can remember that???? Tor no t??? Thnaks
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

whack:d
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

might even be a WHACK! WHACK! depending on exactly what he was saying as I was going to report.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

no T. since you're the one who created the situation, you've got to give him a little leeway....unless of course he screaming/yelling VERY loudly to embarrass you (then he's giving you no choice). just tell him "I may be a lot dumber than I look, but I am smart enough to remember that it's blue ball"...then laugh a little, administer the throw in, and don't let it happen again!
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
whack:d
THis friend speaks my mind.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea
no T. since you're the one who created the situation, you've got to give him a little leeway....unless of course he screaming/yelling VERY loudly to embarrass you (then he's giving you no choice). just tell him "I may be a lot dumber than I look, but I am smart enough to remember that it's blue ball"...then laugh a little, administer the throw in, and don't let it happen again!
NO way. No way I'm saying to a coach, "I may be dumber than I look" Never, never, never.

Actually, even when I make a mistake, coach gets no leeway to yell like the OP. It's a whack without question. Period.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I just spent a minute or so looking for the exception in Rule 10. I couldn't find it. You know the one that coaches can be stupid cause the ref forgot a number.

Whack
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
no T. since you're the one who created the situation, you've got to give him a little leeway....
I disagree - OP didn't create situation - coach did when he was already busting him while he was on way to report. Ok - maybe MidMadness should not have listened - but the coach created the situation and if it was enough to make an official lose track of who the foul was on it was most definately enough for whacking!
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMadness
I had a foul the other day....Coach is busting on me on the way to report..I lose track of who the foul is on.....I ask my partner for help...He can't help me ...I go to the table and no one there is for sure..So I tell them to mark it down as a team foul....I go to inbounds the ball near the teams bench that the foul was called....and I say Blue coming in....The coachs comment was ...Are you sure its blue coming in?? Surprised you can remember that???? Tor no t??? Thnaks
Depends on how loud and demonstrative. I agree with other post. Give a little leeway for screwup.

'OK coach, you've had your say'............any snappy retort from him/her, tweet.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

How would you feel if your partner forgot a number, then compounded the problem by T'ing a coach for making a comment like that? Everyone seems to jump on the T wagon saying the coach was yelling. It just looks like a sacrastic comment with some merit to me. As long as it ends when play resumes, "Let it go, Louie."
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
I disagree - OP didn't create situation - coach did when he was already busting him while he was on way to report. Ok - maybe MidMadness should not have listened - but the coach created the situation and if it was enough to make an official lose track of who the foul was on it was most definately enough for whacking!
If we were working together and you forgot the number, as your partner, I would probably say the same thing in a joking manner....would you WHACK me? C'mon...MidMadness created the problem - coaches talk/yell/gesture/motion to us all the time while reporting a foul, it's very rare that we forget the number - but it happens.

You SHOULD be embarrassed. You SHOULD be self-concious.

You SHOULD ALSO be mature enough to realize that you screwed up and be able to take a little criticism - you certainly would deserve it. What's wrong with saying: "Coach, you're right. I screwed up. Let's not make it worse than it already is." or "Yea, I really butchered that didn't I?". Instead I chose self-deprecating humor ("I know I'm dumber than I look....") which generally works well for me.

If you decide to T the coach, then you certainly are well within your authority to do so. However, keep in mind that it's also within your authority to admit a mistake when it occurs. IMHO, a T here does not make the game any better.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

I personally don't see how a T compounded the problem - sits coach down and is the strongest warning that he should shut up and keep his sarcasm to himself.

IMO - I don't think OP would have forgotten the player # if it had not been for the coach. I also think that we "warn" coaches too much. We don't warn players the first time they push an airborne shooter to the floor - why should we allow coaches to get away with things they know are wrong?
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

If the coach made OP forget the number, then OP choked, period. When I see a quick T after a missed to controversial call, it tells me that the official is defensive and/or doesn't react well in stressful situations. It also causes the official to lose a ton of credibility with coaches, partners, and players. And it's a lot harder to earn back what is lost.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If we were working together and you forgot the number, as your partner, I would probably say the same thing in a joking manner....would you WHACK me?
He ain't my partner! If you were my partner - I would hope you would at least wait until after the game to say something like that. A good partner would never say something like that on court even in a joking manner - in front of players/coaches etc EVEN if I had just had a brain fart and the coach had said nothing.

Quote:
Agreed

Quote:
You SHOULD ALSO be mature enough to realize that you screwed up and be able to take a little criticism
I'll take that from the appropriate people at the appropriate place and time - and that is not on court by a coach who was "busting me on the way to report"
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If we were working together and you forgot the number, as your partner, I would probably say the same thing in a joking manner....would you WHACK me? C'mon...MidMadness created the problem - coaches talk/yell/gesture/motion to us all the time while reporting a foul, it's very rare that we forget the number - but it happens.

You SHOULD ALSO be mature enough to realize that you screwed up and be able to take a little criticism - you certainly would deserve it. What's wrong with saying: "Coach, you're right. I screwed up. Let's not make it worse than it already is." or "Yea, I really butchered that didn't I?". Instead I chose self-deprecating humor ("I know I'm dumber than I look....") which generally works well for me.

If you decide to T the coach, then you certainly are well within your authority to do so. However, keep in mind that it's also within your authority to admit a mistake when it occurs. IMHO, a T here does not make the game any better.
This whole post is dead on.