Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle
If the coach made OP forget the number, then OP choked, period. When I see a quick T after a missed to controversial call, it tells me that the official is defensive and/or doesn't react well in stressful situations. It also causes the official to lose a ton of credibility with coaches, partners, and players. And it's a lot harder to earn back what is lost.
who the hell said it was controversial?
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
And my opinion is that too many officials on this forum live in the world of black, white, and Emily Post. Expecting a coach not to get emotional and simply ask a question like the one you propose is asking way too much.

Again, I will give the warranted technicals out. I've been blackballed from a conference because I slid in and whacked a coach who gave a gesture to my partner's back (and he's still working the conference, BTW).

But forgetting the number of the fouling player is a whole different level of official error for which we have no real legitimate excuse other than a loss of focus (which I've done before, so I'm not preaching) and if you can't "not hear" one sarcastic comment directed at you right after that, well, I don't know what to say.
I'm in your court on this one too, Rich.

Sometimes it's ok to be deaf. I used to dish out T's like candy when I was doing sub-varsity but not anymore. Either I don't hear as much as I used to, communicate much better with coaches, have gotten more established in the area or stuff doesn't bother me like it used to.

I think in the original post it's somewhat of a 'had to be there.'
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

wow...I go away for a couple of hours and this forum spends 5 pages on a situation that has no right or wrong answer and really is a "you had to be there" scenario.

We would all be better served if we got together at a watering hole and, hearing the details and clarifications from the OP first hand, could hash this out. People are assuming way too many "facts not in evidence".

The original question was "T or Not?"....based on the OP, I said no. Some agree and some disagree. Can we all please move on to an exceedingly more important topic....the POE on uniforms....
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Hey guys, just wanted to post something on this for a second.

In my opinion, whether or not this was a T is completely dependent on the situation...so, was the coach

a) Asking a legitimate question
b) Joking
c) Being a smart-***

The answer can not be "A", this is obvious to anyone. "Surprised you can even remember that" is not the way legitimate questions are asked. It also, very (very) likely is not "B", the original poster would probably not have posed the question on here if it was. And considering the coach was just furious during the foul before, I find it hard to believe he'd be happy-go-lucky soon afterwards.

Which leaves us to answer "C", being a smart-***. So here's what the 5 pages of debating have been about:

Does the Coach have the right to throw out an insulting and demeaning comment based on a referee's human mistake of forgetting a number?

In my opinion, no...it does not. The coach deserves a technical....

AND FINALLY, one more thing I'd like to add, let's assume that you were thrown the ball from one of the players and instead of catching the ball...you completely miss it and it drops and rolls to the ground....does that mean both coaches have 1 "free & demeaning insult" each? So each time you mess up the coaches get a "get me out a technical" card?

If they were joking, then you obviously wouldn't whack them....it's all good-hearted and fun. But THIS COACH IN PARTICULAR was not joking, he was trying to be insulting, and that is most definitely a technical foul.
Old Fri Dec 28, 2007, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I was working football three years ago and one of my crew members had an inadvertent whistle that cost the team 15 yards. I had to go to the head coach and explain his choices and he started right away. I stopped him and told him I'd let him vent for 30 seconds after he told me his choice, but that I wouldn't tolerate anything after that. If he didn't turn the page (as we as officials needed to), he was going to get flagged. Then I shut up and let him vent for 30 seconds. He knew better than to be profane and personal and just vented. After thirty seconds, I reminded him that it's over and now we're going to continue the game. And we all did. But I made sure I looked him in the eye and at least pretended to listen to every word he said.
Hey, I worked that game with you and it cost him more than 15 yards. It cost him a first down and he ended up punting. The snap was bad and they turned the ball over on downs near their goal line and Monroe went in to score. I was on his side of the field and he was riding me all night because of that. BTW, do you still work the Badger. Mr. Rice said we'd never work their again. I haven't but of course I moved twice since then. I remember it well...

Roger