The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

I thought I'd heard it all?

Jeesh, 7 years of doing this and I heard some comical stuff last night....some new stuff too!

It was travel league champoinship games. First was 3rd grade...they allow the kids to jump over the FT line on FTs. It's been a league rule since I started at this place back in early summer...

Kids are continually jumping over the line on FTs the whole game...We are now in the 2nd half and "dad" is barking at me..."He's over the line....He's over the line...he can't jump over the line...did you see that...ref, HE JUMPED OVER THE LINE!" I'm just cracking up ignoring him...the more I ignore his comments the more he keeps talking like I don't hear him....

A few trips later there is a kid who goes down pretty hard on a rebound...tripped over himself when he lost his balance returning to the floor...he banged his knee pretty good and was on the floor for about 15 -20 seconds rubbing it...I asked him if he was ok, he said yes, got up and we went on..never asked the coach to come out, coach never came on the floor......Dad is now telling us "You have to replace him....he has to go out...ref, he can't stay in the game...he's hurt, REF YOU GOTTA SUB HIM!"

Guard is defending the dribbler about 3 feet away...he is moving his arms "reaching" but is not even within arms length to touch the ball handler....dad is after us "You gotta call that reach ref!"

In the 7th grade game I had a blocking call on a shot...first FT is missed, I hear "Ball Don't Lie...The ball don't lie"....Later, on a tie up, one coach tried to call TO but at the time the ball was bouncing around so we couldn't give it to him...the other team ended up with the throw in...Immediate bad pass that goes OOB....I'm going back down the court and the coach that was trying to get the TO says "The ball don't lie"....I looked at him and laughed and said "Yeah, I've heard that before...."

Rough night...called about 50-55 fouls in each of the 3 games I worked....I'm tired today!
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
In the 7th grade game I had a blocking call on a shot...first FT is missed, I hear "Ball Don't Lie...The ball don't lie"....Later, on a tie up, one coach tried to call TO but at the time the ball was bouncing around so we couldn't give it to him...the other team ended up with the throw in...Immediate bad pass that goes OOB....I'm going back down the court and the coach that was trying to get the TO says "The ball don't lie"....I looked at him and laughed and said "Yeah, I've heard that before...."
Okay, I'll bite... what does that mean? the ball dont lie??? lol
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splute
Okay, I'll bite... what does that mean? the ball dont lie??? lol
Aw come on we used to say this in the driveway all the time didn't you? It means that you missed the free throw, turned it over, etc, b/c the call made was bogus and the ball don't lie!
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

thanks... new one for me. cute tho... I know if I hear it now on the court I will burst out in laughter.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 02:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
It was travel league champoinship games. First was 3rd grade...they allow the kids to jump over the FT line on FTs. It's been a league rule since I started at this place back in early summer...
Our local kids rec league used to have this same rule for 3rd and 4th grade. A few years ago, we changed it, because we thought it was important for the kids to learn proper technique. Now, we put a piece of masking tape on the floor in the key 4 feet shorter than normal for these grades but require them to stay behind the line when shooting. It's works out much better and they're learning the correct way to shoot. They also shoot at 9 foot hoops in these grades.

You might suggest this to that league. Oh yeah, using masking tape makes it easy to pull up after their games and doesn't leave any marks on the floor - unless you count the times I just collapse there after a 6 game shift.

Hey - it's a pun.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Our local kids rec league used to have this same rule for 3rd and 4th grade. A few years ago, we changed it, because we thought it was important for the kids to learn proper technique. Now, we put a piece of masking tape on the floor in the key 4 feet shorter than normal for these grades but require them to stay behind the line when shooting. It's works out much better and they're learning the correct way to shoot. They also shoot at 9 foot hoops in these grades.

You might suggest this to that league. Oh yeah, using masking tape makes it easy to pull up after their games and doesn't leave any marks on the floor - unless you count the times I just collapse there after a 6 game shift.

Hey - it's a pun.
Splute...kbilla is dead on....The ball don't lie! :-)

I carry masking tape in my bag just in case I need to make one of my rec/travel kids a different number...if they have two 8s on the team...I'll make one 18 (save me the Ts for illegal jerserys! ) I tried to tape down the FT line as you stated and the facility frowned on it cause it takes up the polish off the floor? I'm thinking you have a hospital that sponsors one of the floors and you have their logo down there, you could plop a 10" x 2" piece of vinyl on the floor for these shorter FT lines?