View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

I thought I'd heard it all?

Jeesh, 7 years of doing this and I heard some comical stuff last night....some new stuff too!

It was travel league champoinship games. First was 3rd grade...they allow the kids to jump over the FT line on FTs. It's been a league rule since I started at this place back in early summer...

Kids are continually jumping over the line on FTs the whole game...We are now in the 2nd half and "dad" is barking at me..."He's over the line....He's over the line...he can't jump over the line...did you see that...ref, HE JUMPED OVER THE LINE!" I'm just cracking up ignoring him...the more I ignore his comments the more he keeps talking like I don't hear him....

A few trips later there is a kid who goes down pretty hard on a rebound...tripped over himself when he lost his balance returning to the floor...he banged his knee pretty good and was on the floor for about 15 -20 seconds rubbing it...I asked him if he was ok, he said yes, got up and we went on..never asked the coach to come out, coach never came on the floor......Dad is now telling us "You have to replace him....he has to go out...ref, he can't stay in the game...he's hurt, REF YOU GOTTA SUB HIM!"

Guard is defending the dribbler about 3 feet away...he is moving his arms "reaching" but is not even within arms length to touch the ball handler....dad is after us "You gotta call that reach ref!"

In the 7th grade game I had a blocking call on a shot...first FT is missed, I hear "Ball Don't Lie...The ball don't lie"....Later, on a tie up, one coach tried to call TO but at the time the ball was bouncing around so we couldn't give it to him...the other team ended up with the throw in...Immediate bad pass that goes OOB....I'm going back down the court and the coach that was trying to get the TO says "The ball don't lie"....I looked at him and laughed and said "Yeah, I've heard that before...."

Rough night...called about 50-55 fouls in each of the 3 games I worked....I'm tired today!