The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

First Varsity Game tonight...

I've got my first Varsity game tonight...at least "official" varsity. I've officiated summer leauges at every level, but this is "official." First time with three-man mechanics in an "official" game, too. I've been studying the rotations, and I think I'm ready...but I'm sure I'll have a hic-up or two! I've already got butterflies in my stomach and game's not 'til 7 PM! I'm excited...
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142
I've got my first Varsity game tonight...at least "official" varsity. I've officiated summer leauges at every level, but this is "official." First time with three-man mechanics in an "official" game, too. I've been studying the rotations, and I think I'm ready...but I'm sure I'll have a hic-up or two! I've already got butterflies in my stomach and game's not 'til 7 PM! I'm excited...
Have fun!! I remember my first varsity game, I know I left a bunch out there b/c I was so worried about rotations, PCA, etc....just expect that you are gonna screw up at some point, but don't forget to enjoy yourself!
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
rows

Normal to be nervous. You'll miss a rotation but your partners will fill in for you. You'll miss some calls because you'll be thinking about coverage area etc. Just keep in mind your partners, at one time, were in the same position you were in. Good Luck and have a good game.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

I had mine about 2 weeks ago. I worked with my assignor. It was a blowout. My partner complimented me on my work. he liked that I called the obvious.
The game itself was pretty easy. 45 point blowout.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Three things for you:

1. Congratulations! You've worked hard, and it's paying off. Enjoy this one.

2. Have some fun. Don't get so caught up in worrying about rotations and everything else that you can't occassionally take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy the moment.

3. Trust yourself. You got this game because of what you have been doing. Don't start second-guessing yourself, your calls, your positioning, your mechanics or anything else just because you're working a new level. Call the game you've been calling.

Don't forget to report back on how it went.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Congrats!

Quote:
I've got my 673rd varsity game tonight and I'm just as excited!

Go out, have a great time, and give us a full report when it's over! Good luck!!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Well, I'd love to say that I had the time of my life...I did have SOME fun...but I was TIGHT. The game was tight, too. 35-34 final score. Neither team played well...I think the problem was the fact that I knew too many people at this school. I coached JH boys there the last two years...the problem wasn't on my end...the Girl's Varsity coach is the AD (my game was GV) and he doesn't have the best bench decorum. I called a tip on one of his players as the ball went OB and he actually stated that I was a guest in their house and they should get those calls! Ultimately, his girls did NOT play well tonight...they were lucky to come out with a win. He got T'd by our crew chief with 90 seconds left...and they still won the game (home team).

Looking at the game...I know I was tight and I blew at least one call (called a foul early on that was NOT a foul at all...but I had already "sold" it...it was my first whistle...) After that I settled in...but not down. I don't know if it was becuase it was varsity or not...but I never calmed down...I was intense the ENTIRE game. Maybe it just takes time to get used to...that's what I'm thinking at this point.

My wife brought up a good point as well...I know MANY of the people at that school...in fact, people from my church (I'm a youth pastor) came to the game to see what I'm doing with some of my "spare" time. I am thinking that for the best of all involved...I don't go officiate at that school. I don't have a "favoritism" problem...I just think I care too much about what the people think as I know so many of them. I think that's why I didn't settle down at all.

My partners also weren't in the mood to teach. Maybe they didn't see much to critique, but I want feedback to get better. I did miss one rotation where we ended up with two leads (I was the second)...didn't miss any calls, but I saw the rotation LATE! I didn't feel like there was much "understanding" about where I was coming from. Who knows...maybe I should've known more going in.

Ah...now I'm second-guessing myself. Overall, I feel pretty good about the game we called. I think we were on top of the game and nothing HUGE glares at me (except the jerkiness of the H coach). I did have fun...but not A LOT of fun! I'm looking forward to getting back into this officiating thing after New Years!

Thanks for being so supportive on here, guys! It's good to be on the boards.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 01:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

My first varsity game was at my old high school; about 12 years after I graduated. I didn't know anyone there, but I'd probably refrain from officiating there again if I lived in the vicinity. It was a small town, so if I kept going back, it would only be a matter of time.

If you coached there last year, I'd say it's probably good not to officiate there for a few years anyway. Next year, you're likely to run into your former players if you officiate their high school games.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 01:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Conflict Of Interest ??

As a retired middle school teacher, I block out games at the high school of the school system in which I used to teach and coach, plus I live in the same town as well. This is a definite "possible" conflict of interest that I want to avoid. I will continue to block this school from my schedule as long as I live in town.

However, two games this season:

Girls varsity coach was a student teacher at my school, and, fifteen years ago, while student teaching for another teacher at my school, volunteered to help me coach my middle school team for several weeks. Her assistant was a player on my middle school team over ten years ago. While I was watching the junior varsity game, before my game, both came up and gave me a peek on the cheek. I don't want to block out this school. It has a great girls program, and is only a few miles from my home.

Girls varsity coach, ten years ago, was the assistant coach at the high school in the school system in which I taught and coached. We worked at summer camps together. While I was watching the junior varsity game, before my game, she came up and gave me a peek on the cheek. I don't want to block out this school.

I have been officiating for twenty-seven years, and have become "friendly, in a colleague-type of way" with many old time coaches, some who have been coaching the entire time that I have been officiating. I know them by name. I wouldn't have them over for dinner, but I would go out of my way to say "hello" to them if I saw them in the grocery store, the mall, the bank, or the post office.

How do you know, for sure, when you have a real conflict of interest situation?
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

I felt as though I was fine and objective in this game...however, as soon as the AD saw me, he said that he would have to have a talk with me and the assignor about having me at the school. Didn't even say hi! He feels a conflict of interest. (He did qualify that by saying that he trusted me, but if another coach found out...it might not be good.) I just replied that I was assigned...the assignor had a cancellation, I think. I had told him about what the AD had said about me officiating there...but that I'd be okay personally about being there if he NEEDED me. Otherwise, don't schedule me. Last night he needed me. Professionally, I was fine...and I think I called a decent game. Personally and emotionally, I don't think I was fine. I just can't figure if it was the fact that it was my first varsity game or if it was that I cared too much what people were thinking since I knew so many people in the crowd.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I just can't figure if it was the fact that it was my first varsity game or if it was that I cared too much what people were thinking since I knew so many people in the crowd.
Probably some of both.

Don't worry about it, move on, look forward to the next one.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 10:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Congrats Bigdog, I am sure you will have many more. I have no idea how many games I have worked over the years at the varsity level (like Tony), but I enjoy each opportunity pretty much the same. Hope this is the start of something big for you.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 11:23pm
Huck Finn

Congrats. Like the others have said, I don't know when my first varsity game was...I probably gave someone a T though.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 11:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Congrats. Like the others have said, I don't know when my first varsity game was...I probably gave someone a T though.
I cannot remember my varsity first game. It was a blur. I probably threw someone out.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 11:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
The game was tight, too. 35-34 final score.
No OT? Great job!