The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 23, 2007, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

Well done, bigdog! I was definitely more nervous in my first varsity game than I thought I would be. Took me a while to settle down and settle in. Now that you've got this one under your belt, you can move on and start working on becoming great at this level too.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2007, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
No OT? Great job!
The funny thing is that when I saw the score 34-33 home team losing and the home team on the line...I thought about that AND the guys on this board!
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 10:45am
Official & Member

Mine was pretty memorable. Fresh out of camp. Girls HS-V. Crew chief starts our pre-game with: "OK, this is a girls game, so we'll only rotate for fouls". Since it's my first game, I'm thinking "Hmm, I never heard that one in camp".

The game was decent enough, but we never did rotate except for fouls. The next girls game I worked was a much better crew and made me realize there are some officials out there that are just in it for the $$$. Sad, but eye-opening moment for me.

That first R is still working and I make it a point to rotate a lot whenever he's on my crew and I'm the R.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 11:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
Mine was pretty memorable. Fresh out of camp. Girls HS-V. Crew chief starts our pre-game with: "OK, this is a girls game, so we'll only rotate for fouls". Since it's my first game, I'm thinking "Hmm, I never heard that one in camp".

The game was decent enough, but we never did rotate except for fouls. The next girls game I worked was a much better crew and made me realize there are some officials out there that are just in it for the $$$. Sad, but eye-opening moment for me.

That first R is still working and I make it a point to rotate a lot whenever he's on my crew and I'm the R.
What does being the R have to do with rotating? In my games, the R tosses the jump and starts each quarter as the trail. Besides this, we are all equals during the game.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 11:51am
Official & Member

My first three whistle, varsity game...I'm nervous enough whithout questioning his pre-game. I'm doing whatever the veteran tells me.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142
I felt as though I was fine and objective in this game...however, as soon as the AD saw me, he said that he would have to have a talk with me and the assignor about having me at the school. Didn't even say hi! He feels a conflict of interest. (He did qualify that by saying that he trusted me, but if another coach found out...it might not be good.) I just replied that I was assigned...the assignor had a cancellation, I think. I had told him about what the AD had said about me officiating there...but that I'd be okay personally about being there if he NEEDED me. Otherwise, don't schedule me. Last night he needed me. Professionally, I was fine...and I think I called a decent game. Personally and emotionally, I don't think I was fine. I just can't figure if it was the fact that it was my first varsity game or if it was that I cared too much what people were thinking since I knew so many people in the crowd.
That kind of stuff just blows over. You are doing the right things and getting good advice from the other guys here. Just focus on your primary, call the obvious, and everything will come together quicker than you think it will. You'll get different partners that will help you develop--take advantage when you can.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142
I've got my first Varsity game tonight...at least "official" varsity. I've officiated summer leauges at every level, but this is "official." First time with three-man mechanics in an "official" game, too. I've been studying the rotations, and I think I'm ready...but I'm sure I'll have a hic-up or two! I've already got butterflies in my stomach and game's not 'til 7 PM! I'm excited...
In my fifth season doing hoops and will have my 1st three man varsity game this coming Friday. I am feeling all the same emotions that bigdog did in the original post and am definitely looking forward to the challenge!!