The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 12:48pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down Just when you thought you'd seen all jerky coach behavior...

.....one coach takes being a jerk to a new level. In fact, I'd classify him as that seven letter word that ends in "hole".

Sixth grade competitive level game. About three minutes into the game, a kid trips, falls down with all his weight on his knee, grabs it and starts screaming (no, I am not exaggerating), crying and writhing on the floor. I immediately blow the whistle, yell and motion for the coach to come out. The jerk just sits there, not moving. I couldn't believe he didn't hear and/or see me, but I go ahead and continue to yell "Coach, come here" and motion with my hand. Everyone else is just standing there looking at the kid. Still the coach doesn't move a muscle. The kid's mom is already on the court. I go over to the coach and ask him why he's not responding. Are you ready for this? He says he knew that if he came over, he'd have to substitute for the kid and it's his best player.

It was all I could do to not punch the jerk right in the pie hole. I told him, "Guess what. If I beckon you, he has to come out whether you come on the floor or not, so your little scheme backfired. Now go out there and help your kid or else you can just leave."

He gave me kind of a smirk, but got up and went over to help the kid. The kid's mom, with some help, took the kid out of the gym. I expect she got him medical help. His knee was swollen to the size of a softball.

The coach just sat on the bench the rest of the game and didn't say squat to me or my partner the rest of the way. I'd like to think it was because he was contrite, but I doubt it.

I noticed at the end of the game, the other coach turned away when the jerk came over to shake hands. Good for him.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
.....one coach takes being a jerk to a new level. In fact, I'd classify him as that seven letter word that ends in "hole".

Sixth grade competitive level game. About three minutes into the game, a kid trips, falls down with all his weight on his knee, grabs it and starts screaming (no, I am not exaggerating), crying and writhing on the floor. I immediately blow the whistle, yell and motion for the coach to come out. The jerk just sits there, not moving. I couldn't believe he didn't hear and/or see me, but I go ahead and continue to yell "Coach, come here" and motion with my hand. Everyone else is just standing there looking at the kid. Still the coach doesn't move a muscle. The kid's mom is already on the court. I go over to the coach and ask him why he's not responding. Are you ready for this? He says he knew that if he came over, he'd have to substitute for the kid and it's his best player.

It was all I could do to not punch the jerk right in the pie hole. I told him, "Guess what. If I beckon you, he has to come out whether you come on the floor or not, so your little scheme backfired. Now go out there and help your kid or else you can just leave."

He gave me kind of a smirk, but got up and went over to help the kid. The kid's mom, with some help, took the kid out of the gym. I expect she got him medical help. His knee was swollen to the size of a softball.

The coach just sat on the bench the rest of the game and didn't say squat to me or my partner the rest of the way. I'd like to think it was because he was contrite, but I doubt it.

I noticed at the end of the game, the other coach turned away when the jerk came over to shake hands. Good for him.
Can an a-hole have a pie hole? I agree with your assessment. Hope that mom gets him fired.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 12:56pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I told him, "Guess what. If I beckon you, he has to come out whether you come on the floor or not, so your little scheme backfired.
Really?
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
Really?
Yes that coach "REALLY" is an a$$hole!!

Oh and yes, the player must be replaced if the coach or trainer is beckoned regardless if they come or not.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 01:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Really?
Really.

Keeping the player in the game with a timeout is an adjunct to the rule.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 01:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Really?
Yep. NF 3-3-5. It says "beckoned and/or comes out onto the court" when explaining about substituting for an injured player.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 02:06pm
Ch1town

I read it differently in 3.3.5 Situation B.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I read it differently in 3.3.5 Situation B.
I think you need new reading glasses.

The play you cite is an expample of neither beckoning nor entering the court. You can't apply it when either (or both) occur.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 02:29pm
Ch1town

Just made an appointment with one hour optical.

Thanks
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 03:50pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Can an a-hole have a pie hole?
Yes, but never the twain shall meet.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 11:33pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
I remember when we used to put "icy hot" in someone's jock in HS, but it was more of a prank than payback. Sounds like it might be suitable in this case, though.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just made an appointment with one hour optical.
Now that's a truly funny way of acknowledging.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Now that's a truly funny way of acknowledging.
Nobody said that eating crow has to taste like sh!te.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Ya... was doing a ms trio last night. (6th, 7th, and 8th.) Well after the 7th grade game the coach is just laying into this kid like he stole somthing. Ended up.. the kid was his son. Pathetic.

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Fri Dec 21, 2007, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
the coach is just laying into this kid like he stole somthing. Ended up.. the kid was his son. Pathetic.
Look at the bright side for you....You got to do another game and not be apart of that car ride home....