The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brownie_57
Question

I officiated a freshman tournament basketball game tonight and after the game a situation occured. My partner and I agreed we called a good, fair game. Although it might not be customary, at this age level I tend to stay on the court and shake both coach's hands after the game and tell them good game. All have obliged so far in my 2 years as an official, until tonight. When I went to shake the losing coach's hand (who lost by about 20), he refused to shake my hand and made this statement, "you are the worst officials I have ever seen." This normally wouldn't upset me, but the fact that he did it in front of both team's players and the fans essentially showed that it was okay to disrespect the officials at a sporting event. I plan to write a letter to the Illinois High School Association about his behavior. Is there anything that I should have done differently regarding this situation or are there any recommendations on things that I could do still to help the situation?
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

That is why you don't hang around.

Since you had not left the gym,you could have given him a technical foul.I'm not sure how much a letter will do if
you did not T him.

Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

My suggestion...

No matter what the level, no matter how well you thought the game went.... stay away from the coaches, stay away from the fans.

Get in, get out, get done. Although it may be a sporting gesture on your part, you can tell by your experience it creates more problems than it is worth.

Do not worry about sending a letter. The fact that he berated you in front of some plaers is no big deal, if he would do it there, he'd do it in the locker room or anywhere else. Learn from this, drop it and move on.

Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 12:21am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by brownie_57
I officiated a freshman tournament basketball game tonight and after the game a situation occured. My partner and I agreed we called a good, fair game. Although it might not be customary, at this age level I tend to stay on the court and shake both coach's hands after the game and tell them good game. All have obliged so far in my 2 years as an official, until tonight. When I went to shake the losing coach's hand (who lost by about 20), he refused to shake my hand and made this statement, "you are the worst officials I have ever seen." This normally wouldn't upset me, but the fact that he did it in front of both team's players and the fans essentially showed that it was okay to disrespect the officials at a sporting event. I plan to write a letter to the Illinois High School Association about his behavior. Is there anything that I should have done differently regarding this situation or are there any recommendations on things that I could do still to help the situation?

You have received some very good advice, once the final horn sounds get off the court and into your dressing room. Now I have to ask one question: Do you officiate soccer?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brownie_57
I definitely do appreciate the advice. I guess I have learned the hard way why officials generally leave as soon as the buzzer sounds. As a young official, I am looking to improve in any way that I can. I really enjoy officiating (especially basketball) and want to officiate for many, many years to come. As for your question, I do not officiate soccer. I only officiate basketball and baseball.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 01:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Do not write a "Special Report," PLEASE!!!

Please do not write the IHSA about this. They are going to basically tell you that you were the cause of the comments. They are not going to do anything to the coach just because he made this statement. And I can say with a great deal of confidence, what you did is not taught. If a coach seeks you for comment, that is one thing. But do not seek a coach out for comment. You are only asking for trouble.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

As has been said. Game over, leave! The end of the game has all the potential in the world to be an emotional time. Staying can cause many unpleasant things to happen as you learned and (IMO) can even be construed to tempt the fans and coaches and place them in the wrong postion. Even when I do volunteer youth games at my church I do not stick around waiting for thanks or sportsmanship. It can create an opportunity for trouble. If I have to wear my uniform there for some reason, I cover it up before and after the game. I hope you continue to have fun.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 03:15am
Official Forum Member

I had a similar experience a while back when I was confronted on the court and called several disturbing things by irate parents, including racist, etc (which was most curious because the racial composition of the two teams playing was the same) when I went to the table to get my jacket after the game. Since then, I will always take my jacket with me at halftime, and if there's no room available, I will put my jacket in my bag and have it ready for me near an exit. Postgame confrontations often occur at the table and not going there after the game is a big step in avoiding confrontation.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 11:52am
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green

Get in, get out, get done.
So Kevin, you're saying to get out before you get done? How do you do that? Do you still get paid?
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green

Get in, get out, get done.
So Kevin, you're saying to get out before you get done? How do you do that? Do you still get paid?
I think if I were in Kelvin's boots I would want to get out, with the rest of my crew, as soon as possible, whether or not the contest was over. I understand that the spectators in Iraq can get rather nasty.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2004, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Always press the flesh before the game, never after.

Just think if he was up by one point and then said that to you. You hand him a T with no time on the clock and the other team is shooting two!!!

Keep having fun, and yes you will run into more a$$es like that coach was.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Disguises are good too!

Sometimes the fans and coach will even recognize you with your jacket on over your shirt, so I suggest the Clark Kent method. I take my glasses OFF to officiate and put them back ON after the game! Then it's very hard to recognize me. And if anybody does, I fall back on the old, "You wouldn't hit a guy with glasses, wouldja?"
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Dont do what I did last night

though.. I thought the 3rd quater was really the 4th quater. I hadnt been feeling well all day and I came home early and slept to try and sleep it off. I felt better when I woke up and left for the game site but about halfway thorught the 1st game I was startin to feel bad again. I wasnt with it and I apologized to both coaches at the 3rd quater break. I wish I would have canceled the game but that wouldnt have gone over well with the scheduler. Anyway- 3rd quarter buzzer goes and Im out the door in the locker room. I've got one shoe off when theres a knock on the door... "they're ready to start the 4th." I just said gosh darnett i thought that thing was over. Something to laugh about. Got a standing ovation when I walked back in. :shakes head: Just one of those days. Still not feeling to well.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2004, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Hope your feeling better

Good thing you didn't have toilete paper hanging out of your pants on your return.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2004, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Hope your feeling better

Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
Good thing you didn't have toilete paper hanging out of your pants on your return.
I've had a partner do that...caught him before he went out on the court.