The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Simultaneous Foul at end of Qtr.

B1 fouls A1 simultaneously as A2 shoots the ball, the official blows the whistle for the foul simultaneously as the horn ends the quarter. The basket goes in and it’s Team B’s 7th foul.

How do you administer this situation?
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
a. This isn't a simultaneous foul. I know what you're saying about it being simultaneous with the horn, but a "Simultaneous Foul" is a certain type of foul situation listed as such in the book.

b. Foul is away from the ball. A1 gets 1-and-1 regardless of the shot. If the foul happened before the horn, that is. Administer the ft's with the lane cleared and then give the 1 min for the qtr.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 02:04am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
a. This isn't a simultaneous foul. I know what you're saying about it being simultaneous with the horn, but a "Simultaneous Foul" is a certain type of foul situation listed as such in the book.

b. Foul is away from the ball. A1 gets 1-and-1 regardless of the shot. If the foul happened before the horn, that is. Administer the ft's with the lane cleared and then give the 1 min for the qtr.
Technically, the foul doesn't have to be before the horn; it needs to be before the end of the try.

In practice, I'm probably letting this one go unless A1 ends up on the floor.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker

That just isn't true. The foul can be after the horn as long as it is before the end of the try. In this case that is what makes the ball dead, not the sounding of the horn. The OP incorrectly wrote "as the horn ends the quarter." This is one of the situations in which it does not.

Everything else that you wrote is on the money. It must be the year off that's making you a bit rusty.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
That just isn't true. The foul can be after the horn as long as it is before the end of the try. In this case that is what makes the ball dead, not the sounding of the horn. The OP incorrectly wrote "as the horn ends the quarter." This is one of the situations in which it does not.

Everything else that you wrote is on the money. It must be the year off that's making you a bit rusty.
The rust is in my knees, not my brain, Nevada. I really thought that fouls away from the ball didn't "count" after the horn. I see I'm wrong. 5.6 Comment A. Even in my "cave" I can learn something new every day!