The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 04:17am
Official Forum Member

players disposal

inbounding ball after made basket...A1 one foot oob and bounces ball off of foot toward court goes to catch ball stradling baseline and steps completly oob...I have line violation... coach is yelling he never had control...ask partner and she says never had player control....question is, (4:15 a.m. and no books), do you have to have player control or just the ball at the players disposal...never been an issue until last night...I reversed myself on the input from my partner because I wasnt completly sure of the player control requirment...thanks
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 04:30am
Official Forum Member

I have no idea what you are after with this post.

Player control = holding or dribbling a live ball INBOUNDS.

During a throw-in the ball is at the thrower's disposal.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

If I am reading your Op correctly, it seems he fumbled the ball or mis-handled the ball off his foot before he was completely OOB, ready to throw the ball in. IMO he has never started his throw in and would allow him to gather the ball and start again.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

finally gotten to books...dont mean to whip this horse to death...7-6-1 states throw in starts when ball is at throwers disposal...no 7.6.1 case book play and the question is what is players disposal? when player has ball firmly in control (player control was a bad choice of words), when player has the ability to control the ball and either takes thier time gathering ball or fumbles the ball...many other senerios we have all seen...but what got me to ask this question is when the ball enters inbounds then oob due to the oob player going inbounds then oob b/c they handled the ball poorly...in a tight game I can see a team wanting the ball back b/c of an error on the other team...when in your opinion does the onus of players disposal b/c the issue. I try to judge if there is defensive pressure being applied, has an advantaged been gained, I dont want to blow every infraction, flow of the game is important...im looking for some common sense approaches that others use...
Old Wed Dec 19, 2007, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverdale
finally gotten to books...dont mean to whip this horse to death...7-6-1 states throw in starts when ball is at throwers disposal...no 7.6.1 case book play and the question is what is players disposal? when player has ball firmly in control (player control was a bad choice of words), when player has the ability to control the ball and either takes thier time gathering ball or fumbles the ball...many other senerios we have all seen...but what got me to ask this question is when the ball enters inbounds then oob due to the oob player going inbounds then oob b/c they handled the ball poorly...in a tight game I can see a team wanting the ball back b/c of an error on the other team...when in your opinion does the onus of players disposal b/c the issue. I try to judge if there is defensive pressure being applied, has an advantaged been gained, I dont want to blow every infraction, flow of the game is important...im looking for some common sense approaches that others use...
This post reminds me of Abbott and Costello's 'Who's on first'

You just answered your own question, use common sense, it applies to a myriad of things.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

if i had thought that common sense would have answered the question I wouldn't have posted it...if you would have stated that I did a poor job of describing the post I could have accepted it but for you to post some assine answer like this..do me a favor and just dont reply...oh yeah Merry christmas
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
if i had thought that common sense would have answered the question I wouldn't have posted it...if you would have stated that I did a poor job of describing the post I could have accepted it but for you to post some assine answer like this..do me a favor and just dont reply...oh yeah Merry christmas

You asked for a common sense approach and I responded as such....use your common sense. I think you're plumbing here.

Sorry if I was a wise guy.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 03:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
C,
There is a bit of a debate going on right now about a thrower fumbling the ball. Obviously, if he never makes it out of bounds with possession of it, then you don't have a violation, but when the thrower is OOB and fumbles the ball onto the court, there is an issue.
The NCAA has an approved ruling to whistle the play dead and readminister the throw-in. The NFHS has no such ruling in writing. It is left up to the discretion of the official.

I hope that is a bit more helpful.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
finally gotten to books...dont mean to whip this horse to death...7-6-1 states throw in starts when ball is at throwers disposal...no 7.6.1 case book play and the question is what is players disposal?
4-4-7 defines "at disposal." I'm not sure that helps you, though.

9.1.1 seems to be a similar play, but during a FT instead of during a TI. I'd apply the same logic.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2007, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

If I read this correctly, sounds like A1 fumbled the ball with 1 foot in and 1 foot out trying trying to get oob for throw in. I would have let this go as long as he recovered quicky and got oob for the throw in. Its not a lane violation for sure.

* Be kind to the people you meet on the way up, cause your going to meet the same people on the way down *