The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 13, 2003, 01:41am
I got a Basketball Jones!

1) The sitch is when a defender in a marked lane space decides to move out or change position after the official has bounced the ball to the shooter but before the shooter has caught the ball.
I know what the Fed rulebook definition is. Why is it so many officials take it to mean when they start to pass the ball to the (free throw) shooter, instead of when the shooter catches the ball, as per definition??

2) What is the proper protocol to get the official to make the right call after they boot this one?

Thanks for your input.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2003, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

1. They don't read the rulesbook.
2. Figure out a way to get them to read it!
Good Luck.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Ball is bounced. Player B1 decides to step back a space. A1 catches ball. B1 is mid-move, so not in a legal lane space with ball at disposal of shooter. What is your call?
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 11:37am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Ball is bounced. Player B1 decides to step back a space. A1 catches ball. B1 is mid-move, so not in a legal lane space with ball at disposal of shooter. What is your call?
Violation. If he was out of the space as I was in my throwing motion but before I released the ball, then I have a no call. If he moves after I release the ball, I rule that he had ample time to move prior to the release.

Is there a rule to back me up? No - because this is one of those times we need a casebook ruling. I think of it this way - would you grant team B a timeout if they requested it while the ball is being bounced? If you would, then don't call the lane violation. If you wouldn't, then call it. It's as good a benchmark as any.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

Violation. If he was out of the space as I was in my throwing motion but before I released the ball, then I have a no call. If he moves after I release the ball, I rule that he had ample time to move prior to the release.

[/B]
Mark,
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just looking at the definition of "at disposal" at it states, "A ball is at the disposal of a player when it is: b. Caught by a player after it is bounced to him/her.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

My take is this:
If you bounce the ball having not noticed that B didn't occupy lower black, A1 catches the ball, you now have a violation on B, regardless of the fact that you could have prevented it by not giving the ball to A1.

If you bounce the ball to A1 while B1 has her foot on the lane space divider, you have a violation on B1 as soon as A1 has the ball and B1 is out of postion.

If those situations can result in violations, it seems to me that B1 moving after being in a space, and not being in a legal space when when the ball is caught, should also result in a violation.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 12:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
If you bounce the ball to A1 while B1 has her foot on the lane space divider, you have a violation on B1 as soon as A1 has the ball and B1 is out of postion.
I agree, but I probably wouldn't bounce the ball in this sitch without saying, "Get yer feet off the lines".
mick
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My take is this:
If you bounce the ball having not noticed that B didn't occupy lower black, A1 catches the ball, you now have a violation on B, regardless of the fact that you could have prevented it by not giving the ball to A1.

I have a question (which i'm sure has been answered many times). What is the call if A1 is the shooter and B has not occupied the lower space due to the fact that it is already occupied by A2?
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 12:25pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally posted by wizard
Quote:
My take is this:

I have a question (which i'm sure has been answered many times). What is the call if A1 is the shooter and B has not occupied the lower space due to the fact that it is already occupied by A2?

Double Lane Violation....
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Mick
I am referring to the "oops I didn't notice your foot on the line until the shooter had the ball" scenario, not suggesting that you would see the foot on the line and do a quick bounce and gotcha.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 01:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Mick
I am referring to the "oops I didn't notice your foot on the line until the shooter had the ball" scenario, not suggesting that you would see the foot on the line and do a quick bounce and gotcha.
That probably will not happen.

I am under the basket or the front of the rim when when I make that bounce. Once my partner tells me the number of throws, I check the table, I check the lane, I give the players the finger(s), and I make the bounce.

If I see a player twitch, I ask, "Do you wanna move?"
The 95% answer is, "Uh..., no I'm okay."
mick
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Red face Okay, Mick

I didn't mean you!
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
Quote:
[i] I give the players the finger

really??
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

He's really Mick Artest, the finger waving ref
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 01:44pm
In Memoriam

Smile Oh, I get it.

Quote:
I am referring to the "oops I didn't notice your foot on the line until the shooter had the ball" scenario,
Coach,
As you know, we officials do not have to practice preventive officiating, nor are we responsible for making rule recitations to players on the free throw lane.

Thus, if the player's foot is on the line, we may, by rule, go with the delayed dead ball or the immediate dead ball, or we may employ the "Tower Philosophy" and judge whether, or not, the spirit and intent of the rule has been violated, given the level and intensity of the game being played.

Sorry about the delay in actually answering you question.
I'm just a big "Duh!"

mick
(Old and not cold, the 70 degrees is getting to me. )