The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

General Questions- a couple unusual

All right here are a bunch of questions and some help would be appreciated. Some are easy but I'm just not too sure.

-----For girls high school is the five second count only in the frontcourt and only after the dribble has ended? Holding the ball?

1.Does the arrow switch- halftime? If Team B has the arrow at the end of first half does that mean they will start with the ball in the second half? If Team A gets the jump to start the game does that mean Team B gets it in the second even though the arrow was pointing to team A to end the first half?

2.When a player saves a ball does he/she have to get two feet in? Or one foot other not touching out? Can they dribble after saving it? If A1 is dribbling fumbles the ball then he can’t dribble again? If he saves the ball after it fumbles then I assume he can’t dribble it. If A1 catches a pass and it goes off his hands and then he saves it can he dribble the ball?

3.If A1 goes for a layup gets blocked and then fouled by a second player or the same player say on the landing- when does the shot end—would it be on the ground?

4.I’m not totally clear on 3 seconds.
Guy goes in the lane for two seconds- get passes the ball holds it for 3 or 4 seconds then passes it? Is that 3 seconds,, if not should he get out of the lane right away- or would the ref count to 3 before making the call? If he was in the lane for two seconds, gets the ball, two seconds more and then passes it out is that a 3 second count if he doesn’t get out of the lane within a new 3 second count.

5.Airball- shot- can he dribble it? Does it matter if it hit the ground?

6.On the free throws the players have to wait til the ball hits the rim? Not the backboard.

6.B—Say at the end of the game, a free throw misses bounces away without touching anyone. The timer started the clock. Time runs out. If this is a timer mistake then the ref can put time back on the clock but how do you know who gets the ball. I assume it alternates but if team A the free throw shooting team gets the ball I could see that team B would be upset. If Team B is clearly going to get the rebound or gets the ball and then time runs out would the ball go to Team B with time on the clock? OR at the end of the half a team rolls the ball in so the clock doesn't start, but the timer starts it too early. If the ref doesn't see this and a shot is made but after the buzzer is it waived off even if without a doubt the shot would have been legal if the clock started on time. I would assume the play wouldn't count.

7 510 1E in the Case book- Does clock always run, after a made basket? I thought it stopped. Does it run once a player has the ball and is ready to throw it again? Or is this just late in the game.

8- Backcourt- Again not too clear. Mainly I want to know when the frontcourt is established. Can A1 with both feet in the backcourt dribble in the frontcourt and then back to the backcourt?
Can A1 step with one foot or both feet in the frontcourt but the ball dribbling in the backcourt? And then return the feet back to the backcourt?
I saw a player run along the midcourt- one foot in the backcourt the other in the front court dribbling the ball in the backcourt and then the frontcourt and back again. So the ball and one foot was at times in the front court but not both feet.

If a train leaves Boston and 10 am traveling 45 mph and Train B leaves Houston ---...

---Is it walking if a player who is on the ground after a loose ball gets to one knee holding the ball? Or if on the ground tries to dribble it and stands or gets to one knee?

After a 3 seconds call where is the location for the inbounds throw? For fouls or violations not on the baseline is the inbounds throw always freethrow line extended or above? If it is a charge near the basket does it go on the side or baseline? I heard something about not having throwins in front of a visiting teams bench. If the ball goes out there do you just throw it in there?
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 09:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

I think if you go and watch even one HS game, all your questions will be answered.

Except maybe the one about the train.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
It's a lot of questions to answer all at once. Could you do some research into the rules book, and back into past forum threads, and then come in with specific clarifications that you still need? One at a time? please?
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
This thread should help some. Study it.

Myths of Basketball
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 10:18pm
We don't rent pigs

Are we on candid camera?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

These responses remind me of my Dad...

"Dad, what's the capital of Thailand?"
"Go look it up, son."

And this is my first post... So it leaves me wondering how I will get smacked-down when I leave some questions of my own.

Good luck, Lpbreeze. I feel for you, and I wish I could answer your questions, but I am a novice official myself.

Maybe someone friendly will come along that can actually give you some directions instead of telling you to buy a map.

Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 11:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by willpage
And this is my first post... So it leaves me wondering how I will get smacked-down when I leave some questions of my own.
As long as the questions aren't something like "does the ball have to be round", we'll be glad to help.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 11:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

"Go look it up, son."

Good luck, Lpbreeze. I feel for you, and I wish I could answer your questions, but I am a novice official myself.

Maybe someone friendly will come along that can actually give you some directions instead of telling you to buy a map.

If you go to college and you expect the professor to answer all your questions, maybe college is not for you. All the questions are great but they are easily found in the rulebook and the answers frankly have many facites to them. Even if you want directions you have to find the best way that works for you.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Replies to me don't help the thread starter...???

My second post. I'm on a roll.

Will
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 12:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Replies to me don't help the thread starter...???

My second post. I'm on a roll.

Will
Neither will answering all the questions (which would be better served one at a time) in this thread. It is hard enough to read and then go back and answer.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 12:14am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
As long as the questions aren't something like "does the ball have to be round", we'll be glad to help.
I could answer that question. (yes, I think) But this person is more likely to ask for an essay on the subject. Describe a basketball. Include the size, shape, and materials from which the ball is made. Where is the location of the factory?
What do the workers there have for lunch?

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to PSidbury
The kittens in this sandbox like to scratch...

Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpbreeze
All right here are a bunch of questions and some help would be appreciated. Some are easy but I'm just not too sure.
I'm going to assume high school rules here
-----For girls high school is the five second count only in the frontcourt and only after the dribble has ended? Holding the ball? Same as for boys. 5 second count is only in the front court, and is while either holding or dribbling, though a new count is given each time the player goes from holding to dribbling and vice versa

1.Does the arrow switch- halftime? If Team B has the arrow at the end of first half does that mean they will start with the ball in the second half? If Team A gets the jump to start the game does that mean Team B gets it in the second even though the arrow was pointing to team A to end the first half? The arrow points to the basket of the team that will receive the next AP throw-in. So yes, they switch the arrow at half time because the teams switch baskets.

2.When a player saves a ball does he/she have to get two feet in? Or one foot other not touching out? Can they dribble after saving it? If A1 is dribbling fumbles the ball then he can’t dribble again? If he saves the ball after it fumbles then I assume he can’t dribble it. If A1 catches a pass and it goes off his hands and then he saves it can he dribble the ball?After saving the ball, if the "saver" has something touching in and nothing touching out, he may be the first to touch the ball. Unless he has previously dribbled, the saver can dribble the ball. As for a fumble, a player may fumble-dribble-fumble, but not dribble-fumble-dribble.

3.If A1 goes for a layup gets blocked and then fouled by a second player or the same player say on the landing- when does the shot end—would it be on the ground? A foul on an airborne shooter is considered a foul on the shot. However, if the shot is blocked then the player is fouled, there's a better than average chance that I won't call the foul. It really depends on what kind of contact it is.

4.I’m not totally clear on 3 seconds.
Guy goes in the lane for two seconds- get passes the ball holds it for 3 or 4 seconds then passes it? Is that 3 seconds,, if not should he get out of the lane right away- or would the ref count to 3 before making the call? If he was in the lane for two seconds, gets the ball, two seconds more and then passes it out is that a 3 second count if he doesn’t get out of the lane within a new 3 second count. No self-respecting official ever calls 3 seconds, unless forced to. If people in the stands are yelling for it, it almostly certainly isn't. People in the stands who holler for three seconds are mentally incompetent and were not loved as children. Technically no player may be in the paint for 3 seconds while his team is in possession of the ball in its frontcourt. Allowance is made for a player who is making a move on the basket. Do a search on 3 seconds for more details.

5.Airball- shot- can he dribble it? Does it matter if it hit the ground? On any shot team control ends and any player may get the rebound and treat it like a new possession. If the official thinks the airball was a shot, it was.

6.On the free throws the players have to wait til the ball hits the rim? Not the backboard. What if all it gets is net? Do they have to stand their forever? Rim or backboard, whichever comes first.

6.B—Say at the end of the game, a free throw misses bounces away without touching anyone. The timer started the clock. Time runs out. If this is a timer mistake then the ref can put time back on the clock but how do you know who gets the ball. I assume it alternates but if team A the free throw shooting team gets the ball I could see that team B would be upset. If Team B is clearly going to get the rebound or gets the ball and then time runs out would the ball go to Team B with time on the clock? OR at the end of the half a team rolls the ball in so the clock doesn't start, but the timer starts it too early. If the ref doesn't see this and a shot is made but after the buzzer is it waived off even if without a doubt the shot would have been legal if the clock started on time. I would assume the play wouldn't count. 6.B? Are you ****tin me? In my day 7 came after 6. If the ball becomes dead with no team is in possession, play is restarted with an AP throw-in. Who cares if B is upset? Yes, the offical can put the time back on the clock if he has definite knowledge of how much time should be on the clock. Do a search on this and you'll find many threads with fascinating and contentious discussions on this point.

7 510 1E in the Case book- Does clock always run, after a made basket? I thought it stopped. Does it run once a player has the ball and is ready to throw it again? Or is this just late in the game. In HS the clock does not ever stop on a made basket.

8- Backcourt- Again not too clear. Mainly I want to know when the frontcourt is established. Can A1 with both feet in the backcourt dribble in the frontcourt and then back to the backcourt?
Can A1 step with one foot or both feet in the frontcourt but the ball dribbling in the backcourt? And then return the feet back to the backcourt?
I saw a player run along the midcourt- one foot in the backcourt the other in the front court dribbling the ball in the backcourt and then the frontcourt and back again. So the ball and one foot was at times in the front court but not both feet. Until both feet and the ball are entirely in frontcourt, a player who is dribbling is still in backcourt. He may cross the midcourt line into front court with one or two points as many times as he wishes, until he has all three points in front court. After that, he may not touch on or over the line with any of the three points.

If a train leaves Boston and 10 am traveling 45 mph and Train B leaves Houston ---... Both trains will derail.

---Is it walking if a player who is on the ground after a loose ball gets to one knee holding the ball? Or if on the ground tries to dribble it and stands or gets to one knee? A player may not travel while dribbling. So starting a dribble then getting up is legal. If a player who gains possession of the ball while laying on the floor attempts to get up without starting a dribble, it is traveling.

After a 3 seconds call where is the location for the inbounds throw? For fouls or violations not on the baseline is the inbounds throw always freethrow line extended or above? If it is a charge near the basket does it go on the side or baseline? I heard something about not having throwins in front of a visiting teams bench. If the ball goes out there do you just throw it in there?
Throw-ins are from the spot out of bounds nearest where the foul or violation occurred. But if the throw-in would be in the paint on the base line, it's moved to just outside the paint. There is a top secret diagram that looks like a space ship that we use to determine whether base line or side line. Visitor's bench does not matter.

In future, please post questions one at a time. Or better yet, hang out and read regularly. All your deepest darkest questions will be answered in time. Some of the answers may even be accurate.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

"Go look it up, son."

Your dad was right.

If this person really wanted to understand the rules of the game, if for example he were a novice official who wanted to get better, he would be best served by "Go look it up, son." Most of his questions are basic, and an official who took the court without knowing the answers would soon find himself in a bind. Not only that, he'd be letting the players down by not being ready to do the job for which he was hired.

If you are so novice that you don't know the answers to his questions, why don't you go look them up, post the references for the OP, and expand on my rudimentary answers. At the end of the day he'll still be just as clueless because he hasn't invested any actual effort of his own in learning the rules. But you'll be much better off for having done the homework.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 02:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Regarding the 5 second count. It's going to depend on what state you're in. Most states, it's the same as boys. Washington and New York, I believe, might be different. FC only, holding or dribbling.

1. At halftime, the arrow will change directions because the teams change directions.
2. Something in and nothing out. Does not have to be two feet. A player may fumble, dribble, and fumble without violating. You'll need to look up the definition of dribbling.
3. "on the ground/floor" means nothing for a shot. A shooter is either fouled before, during, or after the shot. Lookup the rule for airborne shooter in the rule book.
4. The rule is clear, look it up.
5. Yes. No.
6. Rule 9-4, please read it. Just a hint, I hate it when partners say "Let it hit the rim" or "Play it off the rim."
6b. Shoot the timer.
7. Rule 5-8 tells you what events should stop the clock. See if you can find any reference to a made basket.
8. You'll need to read rule 4-4.
Traveling (don't call it "walking"). Rule 4-44-5 deals specifically with your question. Let me know if you have any questions.
3 seconds: See rule 9-7 Penalty. Where was the violation? That's where the spot will be.