The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

I think we take this advantage/disadvantage concept; philsophy; criteria too far when it comes to making the proper call regardless of how much time is on the clock. The OP made a call which is very clear some DO NOT HAVE THE GUTS to make.

Assignor: I seen the game; good game until towards the end there was a foul which should have been called. (Displacement) POE

Official: Yeah, I was applying A/DAD because there was only 4.9 seconds left to play in the game.

This would go over well.

I understand where CoachP is coming from. To be able to identify that when it's close to closing time( game ending) some official(s) just wants to get the game over with and go home. This is the area of the game in which officials need to be more attentive. The closing seconds of a close game. Every officials should manage the game from opening whistle to final horn and then observe the hand shakes at the end.

In the OP close game, a physical play happen DISPLACEMENT which is a Point of Emphasis this year. Great call!!!
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 08:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
I think we take this advantage/disadvantage concept; philsophy; criteria too far when it comes to making the proper call regardless of how much time is on the clock. The OP made a call which is very clear some DO NOT HAVE THE GUTS to make.

Assignor: I seen the game; good game until towards the end there was a foul which should have been called. (Displacement) POE

Official: Yeah, I was applying A/DAD because there was only 4.9 seconds left to play in the game.

This would go over well.
Rook, there are no absolutes in this racket. There sureasheck might be circumstances where the appropriate call is a no-call. And there also might be instances where an assignor will give you hell for making the call.

That's what Dan is saying. Fwiw, I agree with him.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 10:44pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJRef
You certainly wouldn't be wrong...we don't leave the court with 5 seconds left in the game
You would if you were Bobby Petrino!
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
Bottom line is, everyone is entitled to a spot on the floor, if said person is driven out of that spot, its a foul.
Reference, please. And be sure to include 4-Incidental Contact.

Now, that said, we had two calls much like the OP in tonight's game. We also had several "no calls" when the "block out" wasn't as severe.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
And there also might be instances where an assignor will give you hell for making the call.

That's what Dan is saying. Fwiw, I agree with him.
That's fine, I didn't expect you to agree with me. I was saying DISPLACEMENT is a POE this year. If an assignor have a problem with enforcing a POE then thats a problem (IMO) without regards of how much time is left in the game.

Last edited by truerookie; Sat Dec 15, 2007 at 11:23pm.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

FWIW, according to the OP, the foul occurred while the ball was in flight. From the way I read the post, the push/displacement thus occurred prior to the ball entering the hoop. If this is the case, then the official would have no idea of the advantage/disadvantage of the ball going in when he observed the foul. IMO, if the contact warranted a foul, with the ball still in the air, cracking the whistle is the right move.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 01:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp44
FWIW, according to the OP, the foul occurred while the ball was in flight. From the way I read the post, the push/displacement thus occurred prior to the ball entering the hoop. If this is the case, then the official would have no idea of the advantage/disadvantage of the ball going in when he observed the foul. IMO, if the contact warranted a foul, with the ball still in the air, cracking the whistle is the right move.
Normally, on a small push (very little displacement) like this, if there's no rebound, there's no call. If the displacement is significant, it's often best to get it, especially early in the game.

This is when a patient whistle comes in handy. Sort of like letting the hack go at the top of the key because the ball handler played through it and had a layup.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 06:24am
In Memoriam

Quote:
That's fine, I didn't expect you to agree with me. I was saying DISPLACEMENT is a POE this year. If an assignor have a problem with enforcing a POE then thats a problem (IMO) without regards of how much time is left in the game.
Assignors may also have a problem with officials who don't understand that displacement can be incidental contact too. That would be the officials that don't comprehend what rule 4-27-3 is trying to tell them.

Rule 4-27-3--"Similarly, contact which does not hinder the opponent from participating in normal defensive or offensive movements should be considered incidental".

Just because you have "displacement" doesn't mean that the displacement will always be a foul. It will be a foul sometimes. That's all I'm trying to say.

We've had numerous threads where posters espouse the virtues of officials having a patient whistle and also seeing a play out. If you do have a patient whistle and see this play out, and the ball does go in, and the player displaced is immediately able to resume their normal offensive or defensive duties, and if the contact was not rough or excessive, should a foul be called? In my opinion, in that particular case, no. Note the "in my opinion".

Btw, it's not really a good idea to try and back up your own view by saying that assignors agree with you, unless you are an assignor and you also know that the great majority of assignors also hold that view.

Btw, fwiw the POE that you are referencing specifically is concerned with 2 situations- post play and screening- where the displacement is also definitely putting an opponent at a disadvantage.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
A2 pushes B1 while the ball is in flight, literly plowes him out of the paint.

I agree, boxing out, incidental contact, etc is all going on both ways during the course of the game.....

But the OP quoted above??? "Pushes and plows" sounds so close to intentional, that at a minimum, should be called, regardless of time/score.

Now we are back to that Official you all despise,
"Well, last nights official let it go..." or "Well, last nights official called it..."
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Btw, it's not really a good idea to try and back up your own view by saying that assignors agree with you, unless you are an assignor and you also know that the great majority of assignors also hold that view.

[B](I never said exclusively that assignor(s) agree with me. I stated that if they have a problem with an official enforcing a POE then that's a problem in itself.)[/B]

Btw, fwiw the POE that you are referencing specifically is concerned with 2 situations- post play and screening- where the displacement is also definitely putting an opponent at a disadvantage.
(I won't quote the entire displacement section. This is the last sentence and basis for my discussion. "When a player dislodges an opponent from an established position by pushing or backing in it is a foul." It doesn't state you should have a patient whistle or see the results of the play in order to penalize appropiately. It's a FOUL!!!

Jurassic Referee, I understand all the principles, concepts which are being discussed. I just don't agree with them. If an official is officiating off ball like he/she is suppose to do. They will not know if an attempt is success or unsuccessful in order to penalize something that occurred in their PCA. That's my point.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJRef
What is A2 going to do with B1's spot in this situation? Deflect the ball to the baseline after it goes through the net? If there's no advantage then let it go, unless, as I said before, it's more of a takedown and it's going to make the game end ugly.
I totally agree. I think Bob and Dan was trying to get the OP to see this. My thing is if it's not a complete take down and it is a classic backed or pushed him off of his rebound spot, I would wait to see if there was going to be a rebound before I make the call. A little patient whistle here and we're walking off the court in 4 seconds. Now we have to go to the other end and another opportunity to prolong the game and have more crap put into it. The 4.5 seconds can now take about 2-3minutes. (B1 makes his FTs, and they foul immediately, we go down shoot for A1, he makes two, but A2 dislodges the B1 in anticpation of a rebound on the 2nd FT and our OP calls the foul because he wants to be consistent, so we do it all over again, etc etc.. all hypothetical of course)
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
(I won't quote the entire displacement section. This is the last sentence and basis for my discussion. "When a player dislodges an opponent from an established position by pushing or backing in it is a foul." It doesn't state you should have a patient whistle or see the results of the play in order to penalize appropiately. It's a FOUL!!!

Jurassic Referee, I understand all the principles, concepts which are being discussed. I just don't agree with them. If an official is officiating off ball like he/she is suppose to do. They will not know if an attempt is success or unsuccessful in order to penalize something that occurred in their PCA. That's my point.
I agree with you to an extent. But the off-ball official should have knowledge of the status of the ball, even if she's not really watching closely. Off-ball officials MUST know if there's a shot in the air, whether it goes or not and so on. When a foul is a gotta-get, then ya gotta-get it no matter where the ball, how much time is left, or whatever. But the A/D thing gets stretched a little further than normal when there's a shot in flight, imo. It can't hurt to wait a half second and see if there's really any reason to call something, when it's not 3 feet of displacement, or knocking someone on their @ss. I think the POE is regarding the more obvious calls, and not the maybe stuff.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 12:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
When a foul is a gotta-get
Juulie, what's the mechanic for that? Is this it?

Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 01:17pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
I suppose you could but that would mean you went against the rules.
HAHA... very true.

I was just attempting to bring out why the basket counts.
Old Sun Dec 16, 2007, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

We're not talking about taking your eyes out of your primary and following the flight of the ball, but you absolutely have to know the status of the ball, regardless of where you are at and what is going on in your primary. This includes whether or not it is going in. You may not be able to tell with 100% certainty that it will drop but you should have a good idea. If it goes in you need to know in the event your partner(s) need your help and if it doesn't you should be anticipating where the rebound is going to go in order to get a better look. I'll admit that it's a skill that takes time to develop, but I believe it's a very necessary one. To me it's like the difference between looking a couple of seconds ahead when you're driving and just seeing the break lights in front of you or looking a few more seconds ahead and seeing the wreck three cars in front of you and being able to stop in time.