The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   You make the Call (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40388-you-make-call.html)

IREFU2 Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:42am

You make the Call

Okay,

Had a BV game last night and here is the skinny:

Time running out on the clock, A1 takes a 3 point attempt, A2 pushes B1 while the ball is in flight, literly plowes him out of the paint. Tweet, I have a whistle on A2, the 3 point basket is good and Team B is in the bonus. So, we go and shoot the 1 and 1 on the other end. I get in the locker room and the R is pissed that I had a whistle on that call and states that since there was 4.9 left on the clock, I should have let that one go. I told him that it was a total dislodge and put B1 at a disadvantage. Am I wrong for making such a call??? Comments.....

NM_Ref Sat Dec 15, 2007 01:51am

I would have made the call.

I don't think that because there is only 4 or 5 seconds left in the game that we should "let things go." I think it's bad practice, but that could be because I'm trying to call everything I can...

Nevadaref Sat Dec 15, 2007 06:34am

I think that your R is in need of a proctol exam because that is obviously where he has his head.

Please continue to officiate properly without regard to the amount of time remaining or the score.

Edit: Sorry I left out two words.

Indianaref Sat Dec 15, 2007 08:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Please continue to officiate properly without regard to the amount of time remaining or the score.

Agree 100%.

bob jenkins Sat Dec 15, 2007 09:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I think that your R is need of a proctol exam because is obviously where he has his head.

While I agree with this, recognize that whether a shot is good and the location of the rebound if it isn't can influence whether the contact is a foul. Some contact is so egregious that it will be a foul even if the shot is good -- that may have been the case in your play.

tomegun Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:19am

You should understand that some officials like to take the path of least resistance. Honestly, that path is in the stands or at home in front of the TV. You will often have situations where I like to say, "You have to get dirty." Don't worry about it, the last thing you want to do is have something bad happen or have a coach send a tape to your assigner pointing out something that was obvious and wasn't called.

Did this call have an impact on the final score?

Coltdoggs Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:28am

Please point me to the section of the rule book that states with 4.9 or less on the game clock, fouls should not be called. ;)

IREFU2 Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun
You should understand that some officials like to take the path of least resistance. Honestly, that path is in the stands or at home in front of the TV. You will often have situations where I like to say, "You have to get dirty." Don't worry about it, the last thing you want to do is have something bad happen or have a coach send a tape to your assigner pointing out something that was obvious and wasn't called.

Did this call have an impact on the final score?

Nope. But it was a very obvious foul.

JugglingReferee Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2
Okay,

Time running out on the clock, A1 takes a 3 point attempt, A2 pushes B1 while the ball is in flight, literly plowes him out of the paint. Tweet, I have a whistle on A2, the 3 point basket is good and Team B is in the bonus. So, we go and shoot the 1 and 1 on the other end. I get in the locker room and the R is pissed that I had a whistle on that call and states that since there was 4.9 left on the clock, I should have let that one go. I told him that it was a total dislodge and put B1 at a disadvantage. Am I wrong for making such a call??? Comments.....

I've got a foul too. Good call, good administration.

CJRef Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:23am

You certainly wouldn't be wrong...we don't leave the court with 5 seconds left in the game so we should be willing to call what we need to no matter how much time is left. But in echoing Bob's statement, it might be beneficial to be just a half-second more patient and determine if the ball goes in and if it doesn't if an advantage is being gained. From your description though, it sounds like pretty solid contact. In this situation I would say you probably need to get it. You can have a great game ruined by a hard foul in the last couple of seconds which has the potential to lead to an injury, technical foul or worse a fight. Work the game until the buzzer and in doing so always be cognizant of the game situation and advantage/disadvantage situations.

Dan_ref Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:32pm

Quote:

Okay,

If the ball went in how is B1 at a disadvantage?

Raymond Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
If the ball went in how is B1 at a disadvantage?

Speculation on my part and I know it doesn't answer your specific question.

But it may have to do with the temperature of the game. A contentious game between rivals and B1 may retaliate if there is no whistle?

MOFFICIAL Sat Dec 15, 2007 01:00pm

Quote:

Okay,

OK I have a question.
Did you wave off the made three point basket because of the foul on A2? Then go to the other end and shoot your 1 &1.

Raymond Sat Dec 15, 2007 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOFFICIAL
OK I have a question.
Did you wave off the made three point basket because of the foul on A2? Then go to the other end and shoot your 1 &1.

He better not have. :eek:

But OP did say "Tweet, I have a whistle on A2, the 3 point basket is good and Team B is in the bonus." so it appears he did count the 3-pointer.

JugglingReferee Sat Dec 15, 2007 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOFFICIAL
OK I have a question.

Good question! Would you have waived off the 3 pointer?