The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 04:12am
Official Forum Member

Question about simultaneous Ts.

Subs A6, A7, and B6 have all reported to the scorer and are waiting at the table to enter during the next dead ball opportunity.
One of the officials calls a foul and goes to report it. As he is reporting all three subs run out onto the floor to the FT lane and tell their teammates that they are replacing them.
If the officials were to penalize each of the offenders with a technical foul, I was wondering how it would be administered.

All of the Ts would have to be considered simultaneous, so does that mean that NO FTs are awarded or should it be done as in the fight situation where two of the Ts offset and the third T warrants FTs? It doesn't seem clear to me.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 09:50am
Lighten up, Francis.

Not sure what happened to the previous thread with this title, but I'll give my thought here.

By definition, a simultaneous foul occurs when "there is a foul by both teams which occurs at approximately the same time, but are not committed by opponents against each other."

It occurs when a foul is committed by each team. I know I'm reaching here, but that's the best I can do from the definition itself.

If that's the right way of reading it, then you offset the T's that match up and shoot the one that's left over.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Not sure what happened to the previous thread with this title, but I'll give my thought here.

By definition, a simultaneous foul occurs when "there is a foul by both teams which occurs at approximately the same time, but are not committed by opponents against each other."

It occurs when a foul is committed by each team. I know I'm reaching here, but that's the best I can do from the definition itself.

If that's the right way of reading it, then you offset the T's that match up and shoot the one that's left over.
That's kind of the conclusion I reached, too.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

The other thread went off on a tangent and very few people attempted to provide an answer to the actual question posed. Since it was therefore rather unhelpful, it was deleted and started again with the hope that this one would stay more focused.