The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 09:33pm
Administrator

A First Today with MTD, Jr.

It is time for me to do a little bragging about our son, Mark, Jr., who is a senior at Roy C. Start H.S. Last week he was by Ohio Northern University to swim and play baseball next year as well as major in mechanical engineering; he was awarded a Dean of Engineering Scholarship and is a finalist for a President's Scholarship. Next month he goes through his interviews for a U.S. Air Force ROTC Scholarship.

BUT today, Junior officiated his first ever basketball games. We officiated a girls' jr. H.S. doubleheader today. Not only did he look the part (meaning he is better looking that his 'old man' he did a pretty good job for the first time out of the gate. I am so proud of him. Of course he is one tired boy right now after having to carry his 'old man' for two games.

Next week we have a boys' jr. H.S. doubleheader. I can't wait for next week.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
It is time for me to do a little bragging about our son, Mark, Jr., who is a senior at Roy C. Start H.S. Last week he was by Ohio Northern University to swim and play baseball next year as well as major in mechanical engineering; he was awarded a Dean of Engineering Scholarship and is a finalist for a President's Scholarship. Next month he goes through his interviews for a U.S. Air Force ROTC Scholarship.

BUT today, Junior officiated his first ever basketball games. We officiated a girls' jr. H.S. doubleheader today. Not only did he look the part (meaning he is better looking that his 'old man' he did a pretty good job for the first time out of the gate. I am so proud of him. Of course he is one tired boy right now after having to carry his 'old man' for two games.

Next week we have a boys' jr. H.S. doubleheader. I can't wait for next week.

MTD, Sr.
Two games with you and he's still willing to work with you next week??

Congrats to you both, Mark. That "I'm so proud of you" feeling is definitely worth the work, isn't it?
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Mr. MTD Sr,
Congrats on a job well done. From reading your replies here it seems to me you are a "class act". It's not surprising to hear that your boy is on his way to becoming one for your trophy wall:

Last edited by canuckref; Thu Dec 13, 2007 at 10:22pm.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 05:39am
In Memoriam

Congratulations, Mark...and enjoy every minute of it.
Old Fri Dec 14, 2007, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Congrats. I know that many of my favorite moments on the court are working with my daughter. We try and schedule a couple of camps together every year and if we don't get many HS games together - we (partner and daughter and I) will sign up for MS tournys and work a court a whole day going 2 games on 1 off. Enjoy working with your son every second that you can.

officiating check $35.00
moving up a level $45.00
working games with son/daughter - PRICELESS!!!!!
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 01:27am
Administrator

Update on Mark, Jr.

This past Wednesday Mark and I officited his second set of games. A boys' 7th/8th grade doubleheader and he did well, even better that our first games together. The second half of the 8th grade game was brutal but he held his own and called almost as many fouls as his 'old man.'

For those who do not know, my late father was a carpenter and I worked my way through college as a construction laborer. I remember how great it was to got to work with my dad. Well I don't want to get too mauldin so everybody have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 01:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

MTD, good for you. These are memories you both will cherish for a long time. I've had the pleasure of going on Air Guard deployments with my dad.

Most memorable, though, was when I was deployed overseas. I was at the tail end of my deployment, and my Dad was on his way into Iraq and had a layover (about 8 hours) on my base before flying to his destination. We had time to have dinner, he brought me some pictures of my infant son (whom he had seen and held but I had not), and I had one of my airmen take a picture of the two of us.

Dad retires from the Guard this April, so that was the last time I'll have a deployment of any kind with Dad.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 02:02am
We don't rent pigs

My son, now 18, has little interest in officiating, but has helped me out on a few occasions at lower levels. He started at an early age, pointing out traveling in NBA games on tv at age 6 or 7. (too easy?) His first game on the court came at age 10. It was the last game of the night in our 11-12 division, and I was the only official left for some reason. I looked for an adult volunteer and there was none. I tossed my spare whistle to my son, looking around to see if anyone objected. No one did. As I recall, the game went off without a problem.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

My youngest son also got his license this year. We have done two sets of 4th grade games so far. He is a freshman in high school and if he continues to enjoy officating who knows how far he can go. My middle son is a volleyball official and we have worked together often. He just finished his third year as a junior in high school. Very proud of both boys.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

I have now worked about 20 games with my 14 year old Son. I get us some games in a Rec league and it's been alot of fun. He had a few months off and then recently went to a small camp like thingy for the HS aged officials. They had them work a scrimmage and I was amazed how much he'd improved without working some games. I've got about 25 more games already scheduled for us to work and he has the opportunity to pickup more. I want him to work some games without me so he can learn to not depend on me coming over and bailing him out. Also, it's tough to work when you know you gotta stretch your area. In last weeks game, I told him I was focusing on my area and he needed to do the same. IMO, he got what he needed and we heard no beef from the onlookers.

The neatest thing is he is able to earn way more that he could getting a pt job somewhere. He benefits from several lessons here.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
The neatest thing is he is able to earn way more that he could getting a pt job somewhere. He benefits from several lessons here.
First to MTD....That's awesome man! Sounds like your kid has his head on straight...pat yourself on the back there partner!

Chris.....My 15 year old son is a baseball guy..I usually coach him but I don't umpire...I only officiate basketball. Well, I got him a job at the facility I work at reffing on weekends. He mans the concession and works the front door where they collect money from the parents coming in. He get's to see me work and he's stated he doesn't know how I put up with the parents and coaches yellling at me....I doubt he'll officiate basketball but I THINK he's ready to be an ump for the little league....We'll see if he makes the freshman HS team in spring first.

As you said...it's a PT job but they are paying him $7.50/hr which is more than his 16-17 year old friends are making at pizza places and grocery stores! They are all asking him for a job up at the Fieldhouse.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 11:16am
I got a Basketball Jones!

for posterity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
This past Wednesday Mark and I officited his second set of games. A boys' 7th/8th grade doubleheader and he did well, even better that our first games together. The second half of the 8th grade game was brutal but he held his own and called almost as many fouls as his 'old man.'

For those who do not know, my late father was a carpenter and I worked my way through college as a construction laborer. I remember how great it was to got to work with my dad. Well I don't want to get too mauldin so everybody have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

MTD, Sr.
MTD:
It's obvious your boy has inherited your officiating prowess. For the benefit of my 3 officiating sons, please be sure he also gets rights to your stash of books in the attic. I can just envision the posts on this board circa 2025 when Jr is able to contribute "That Team Control mechanic thingy was first introduced waaaaay back in 2006 but only the old farts still use it"

Way to go!!!!!!!
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Congrat's and best wishes. Nothing like bring new talent into the officiating world. Job well done!
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 04:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Never Enough ...

As my assigner always says, "We can never have enough good officials".
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Mark:

My congratulations to you and your son. I had the occassion several years ago to work soccer and basketball with my younger son and throughly enjoyed it. Fortunately, he decided that he need to concentrate more on his studies (which were good, actually), but he felt like they needed more time.

Also, congratulations to your son on his academic achievements. It's apparent that MTD, Jr. takes after Mrs. MTD, Sr.