The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Technical Foul Question

Is there EVER a case when the ball is inbounded at any other spot than the mid-court line opposite the table after ONE Technical Foul is called? POI would only be the case after a double tech, right? NFHS rules...

Is NCAA rules different?
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS = No, never.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 22, 2007, 10:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Yes NCAA is different. I can only speak for the Men's side, but most Ts in Men's basketball are POI enforcement. There are a couple of cases where you would put the ball opposite the table just like NF or the old NCAA Rule, but that is only the case on a couple of types of fouls.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 23, 2007, 01:53am
Official Forum Member

I thought so. My crew chief (who officiates some college) last night called a T on the coach with 1:30 to go in the game. He asks me where the ball was when he called the T. I say that all T's go mid-court across from the table and he says...no POI. I was the lead, so...I was watching my PCA and couldn't tell him (3-man). So...we went to the mid-court anyway...
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142
Is there EVER a case when the ball is inbounded at any other spot than the mid-court line opposite the table after ONE Technical Foul is called? POI would only be the case after a double tech, right? NFHS rules...

Is NCAA rules different?
And does the AP arrow always determine possession?
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 12:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcramer
And does the AP arrow always determine possession?
Your question is somewhat incomplete. If you mean that under NF rules in any situation where the team entitled to the next AP possession is designated by the way the arrow is pointing, the answer is yes, unless the official(s) have personal knowledge that the arrow is incorrect.

If you mean does the AP arrow indicate who gets the ball after a double technical in NF, the answer is no. You use POI.

Did either one of those explanations address your question? If you're referring to NCAA rules, please indicate that. Thanks.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, Mark, let me try again. I was referring to part of the OP:

"Is there EVER a case when the ball is inbounded at any other spot than the mid-court line opposite the table after ONE Technical Foul is called?"

And....I'd like to also know what team gets the ball and how it's determined in high school ball. This situation caused the Refs to huddle-up during the last game I saw at our local high school... Team A had ball OOB for a spot throw in, Coach A earns a T before throw in ends, Team A got ball back at division line after Tech free throws by Team B. Some fans said AP arrow ought to have been used to determine who gets ball, some said Team B gets it because Team A got the Tech, and most fans......had no idea!

Thanks!
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 12:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcramer
Team A had ball OOB for a spot throw in, Coach A earns a T before throw in ends, Team A got ball back at division line after Tech free throws by Team B. Some fans said AP arrow ought to have been used to determine who gets ball, some said Team B gets it because Team A got the Tech, and most fans......had no idea!

Thanks!
In NF, a technical foul penalty is two shots and possession. The AP arrow is irrelevant. The team shooting the free throws always gets the ball to inbound at the division line opposite the table. If there are successive technicals involving both teams, the team that shoots last gets the ball.

Gee, and most fans had no idea? What a surprise!
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142
I thought so. My crew chief (who officiates some college) last night called a T on the coach with 1:30 to go in the game. He asks me where the ball was when he called the T. I say that all T's go mid-court across from the table and he says...no POI. I was the lead, so...I was watching my PCA and couldn't tell him (3-man). So...we went to the mid-court anyway...
These people really annoy me. If they HS game isn't important enough to them for them to keep up with the rules, then they should quit working HS games and just stick to their college stuff.