The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Called a T on a fan. I have never done this before. I have a pretty thick skin. He's the sitch.

Pretty close game Team A has a 8-10 point lead and holding. 16 minutes stop clock halves. About 10 minutes left in game, I noticed that the clock seemed to have more time on it than it should, but didn't see any problems. The gym clock wasn't working so we were using a portable that stayed on the table.

During a Time Out, a "mom" comes up to me while I'm on the blocks telling me that about three minutes of game went by but the clock didn't run. I told here there was nothing we could do about it and would tell the timekeeper to stay more attention. The time keeper was actually one of Team A's girls as required by the tournament. So, she wanted to know who she could talk to to correct it. She had it on video tape, so assumed we could all just go over the tape and adject the time as needed. I told her we couldn't do it. So, she wanted to argue about the other team (B) was making a run and would have more time to do so. Finally, I gave her the stop sign and told her that was enough. She left.

A few minutes later, she reappeared in the gym and as she walked by me during a live ball, started scolding me about we really need to watch the clock.

Tweet. That's a T on Blue. Explained it to the coaches and they understood. B made one of the free throws and tied the game. It remained close and B won by 1 point.

She came up and told me she had not said anything to me. So as diplomatically as I could I told her that perhaps I heard it wrong and if I did I am sorry. Afterwards I had other parents apologize for her.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Why the T? Just throw her out of the gym!
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 02:17am
Whack! Get Out!!!

I agree -- how can you T a fan? Either they are allowed in the gym or you kick them out... I don't see how you can penalize a team for non-bench personnel.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PA Official
Uh...you aren't allowed to do that.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 08:54am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by PA Official
Uh...you aren't allowed to do that.
NFHS rules allow him to do it- rule 2-8-1 and casebook play 2.8.1. The NFHS itself recommends-as in the COMMENT of 2.8.1- that you get game management to unload the fan before you even think of a T. Which was probably the best way by far to handle the situation above, as others have pointed out.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Was this AAU or one of Barts deal Damian? If it was AAU who assigned. AAU has these stupid crazy fans espcially in our part (houston) The best thing to do is get them the heck out of there. Katy ISD and HISD actually have their security guards when these tournys rent the gyms. They've still got there power. Dont take it on the kids just becomes moms being a b****. Just have her removed and go on about the game.

A few weeks ago I did a tourny for Lee Jones out at Morton Ranch. Everyone stayed an extra game and we were running three-person crews. I called a travel from C. It was so obvious that Dick Bavetta would have even called it. Mom starts screaming thats a travel thats a travel thats a travel, the mom sitting next to her said "SHUT UP ALREADY, THATS WHAT HE CALLED!" the mom quietly sat down and said "good call ref" I couldnt help but laugh.
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Damian
Tweet. That's a T on Blue. Explained it to the coaches and they understood. B made one of the free throws and tied the game. It remained close and B won by 1 point.
I don't get this. Why is B shooting if the T is on them?
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

My two cents-

I want to take a look at something else here. If what the fan says what was true, WHOOPS!.

Three minutes of play and no one noticed. I understand the table clocks- I hate them, but they call for increased vigiliance.

Its not hard to bring the ball in and check if it is running..you have to run past it up and then back...

I also agree just have the fan tossed!