The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 02:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Old Throw In Violation ???

This topic has been debated on the NFHS Forum. I'd liked to present it on this Forum, because, I believe, that this Forum has more members, especially more vocal members.

Me: I thought that many, many years ago, an old rule stated that the player who, during a throwin, threw a ball that hit an opponent who was out of bounds, was the one, that is, the thrower, who caused it to go out of bounds, and considered a throwin violation.

Some comments from some very reliable NFHS Forum Members:

Nevadaref: "I want to see Woody and MTD confirm or deny that."

MarkTDeNucciSr: "Only if the game was a women's college game being played in the 1960's, 1970's, and early 1980's under NAGWS Basketball Rules."

Woody: "I don't have a clue about those specialized womens rules, but there has never been any rule similar to what was stated in the last fifty years under either NFHS or NCAA rules that I know of or have heard of"

volsump: "Years ago (in NFHS), on a throw-in, if ball from thrower first touches player out of bounds it was a throw-in violation. If B was on sideline and first touched throw-in by A, B would get ball at throw-in spot."

Me: "Can anyone go a step further and tell us when this rule changed and give some citations?"

Woody: "I'd like to see that too, along with some verification. I have just finished checking some very reliable sources, and not one of them can ever remember a rule being in place similar to this. That goes back to the pre-NFHS rulebook"

How about it old timers? If I didn't "dream up" this rule, it goes back ablut twenty years. Can anyone tell us if and when this rule changed and give some citations?"
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 02:34pm
In Memoriam

Woody = Jurassic Ref.

You have my input.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2007, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
This topic has been debated on the NFHS Forum. I'd liked to present it on this Forum, because, I believe, that this Forum has more members, especially more vocal members.

Me: I thought that many, many years ago, an old rule stated that the player who, during a throwin, threw a ball that hit an opponent who was out of bounds, was the one, that is, the thrower, who caused it to go out of bounds, and considered a throwin violation.
There used to be this rule in FIBA. It has been cancelled at least ten years ago (I don't remember precisely when).

Ciao and happy holidays from Italy