The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Whistle on a throw-in

I was informed you don't toot your whistle when administering every throw-in. I thought it just seemed like a good idea to toot any time when administering a throw-in anywhere on the court to alert everybody play is resuming, especially after a time-out, a discussion at the table, a moment has been taken to clarify something with the coach(es), the ball had to be chased behind the bleachers, etc. So what are the mechanics and why? Do you blow your whistle prior to handing the ball to A for the throw-in under A's basket only? Below the free-throw line extended? In the A's frontcourt only? What criteria do you use?
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Only after a time-out or a long delay (administering a tech, etc.)
I do say "ball in" as I hand it to the thrower.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 08:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Time Out, Foul Shot, Whistle ???

After a time out that is to followed by a throw in, I'm sure that all of us blow the whistle before putting the ball in play.

How about when the time out is followed by a foul shot?

Citations for NFHS mechanics and IAABO mechanics please.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 08:40pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
Only after a time-out or a long delay (administering a tech, etc.)
I do say "ball in" as I hand it to the thrower.
Over the years I've heard many things that boil down to this: make your words and your whistle mean something.
This is what works for me:

- I will say "Spot" when the inbounder has a spot throw in and it is necessary. This serves two purposes: it tells the inbounder they cannot move and alerts everyone that the ball is about to be put into play. Now, this isn't necessary if, for instance, we are going the length of the court with no pressure.
- I'm not, and never have been, a fan of blowing the whistle for a lot of things (other than fouls, violations, etc.) to include bringing in subs. In my mind, I want my whistle to mean something and it devalues it when I blow it every time Jack, Jill, Billy and Suzie come into the game. I much prefer the table sound the horn for every sub regardless of whether I see the sub prior or not. I have seen officials take this to the extreme by communicating with players using their whistle instead of simply talking to them.

I seem to have rambled a bit, but no I don't blow the whistle for every inbound play.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

The mechanic our association would like for the administrating official on baseline throw-ins in the frontcourt to blow the whistle before handing the ball to the player. This is because they want Trail to chop the clock since Lead is obscured by players. The whistle is to alert Trail that the ball is being handed to the player and to have them raise their hand to chop the clock. I've had a couple of varsity officials tell me this and seen it used in varisty games so, when in Rome.

Sorry that I don't have a reference for NFHS, but I honestly think this is an association mechanic only.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 09:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I blow the whistle for throwins after a timeout.

I blow the whistle for throwins after an abnormal delay.

I do not blow the whistle every time. I do not say anything most times.

I assume spot throwins are implied unless I tell the thrower he/she can run the endline. This is the only time I say anything.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 10:37pm
PYRef

We've been instructed to blow the whistle after a lengthy delay like a timeout, injury, DQ sub etc.
We also blow the whistle when you are lead and the ball is staying in the frontcourt.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

I blow the whistle after an delay; ball chased, subs, etc. It's usually a short toot, a bit longer after a timeout, depends on the environment.

I say "spot throw in" with the point down motion or "you have the baseline" with swinging arm motion only when on the endline going the other way. Everything else is a spot throw in by nature.

I blow the whistle for subs because most of the tables around here are incompetent and don't use the horn properly by rule and also because some partners don't hand off subs properly even though it's been pregamed.

Last edited by eyezen; Tue Dec 11, 2007 at 10:51pm.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus
The mechanic our association would like for the administrating official on baseline throw-ins in the frontcourt to blow the whistle before handing the ball to the player. This is because they want Trail to chop the clock since Lead is obscured by players. The whistle is to alert Trail that the ball is being handed to the player and to have them raise their hand to chop the clock. I've had a couple of varsity officials tell me this and seen it used in varisty games so, when in Rome.

Sorry that I don't have a reference for NFHS, but I honestly think this is an association mechanic only.
That's also the NCAAW mechanic.

And, no whistle when the delay (TO, etc) is followed by a FT; only when it's followed by a TI.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2007, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

I blow the whistle during all of my front court throw-ins that I administer. In my opinion, it can't hurt.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 03:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk65
I was informed you don't toot your whistle when administering every throw-in. I thought it just seemed like a good idea to toot any time when administering a throw-in anywhere on the court to alert everybody play is resuming, especially after a time-out, a discussion at the table, a moment has been taken to clarify something with the coach(es), the ball had to be chased behind the bleachers, etc. So what are the mechanics and why? Do you blow your whistle prior to handing the ball to A for the throw-in under A's basket only? Below the free-throw line extended? In the A's frontcourt only? What criteria do you use?
NFHS officials manual 3.2.2 A10 "The administering official shall sound the whistle to indicate play is about to begin only following a charged time-out, an intermission or an unusual delay."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
And, no whistle when the delay (TO, etc) is followed by a FT; only when it's followed by a TI.
I disagree.
NFHS Officials Manual 3.4.3 D4.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 05:04am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
So what are the mechanics and why?
The mechanics are going to vary by where you live and the people you work for. It is very likely that things are going to be very different from one place to another.

Quote:
Do you blow your whistle prior to handing the ball to A for the throw-in under A's basket only? Below the free-throw line extended? In the A's frontcourt only?
In my area not necessarily or something many concern themselves with. There is no mandated procedure to blow the whistle just because you are in these situations. Some might do so, but there is no mechanic that requires such a thing.

Quote:
What criteria do you use?
I do not blow the whistle on most throw-ins. I mainly blow the whistle on delays and I feel players might not be paying attention. This is not a big deal where I live.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I disagree.
NFHS Officials Manual 3.4.3 D4.
Must be a relatively recent change, and since I haven't read the manual in a number of years, I stand corrected. It's the "wrong" mechanic, though, imo. (and, for my records, can you quote the paragraph. Thanks)
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 09:58am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
- I will say "Spot" when the inbounder has a spot throw in and it is necessary. This serves two purposes: it tells the inbounder they cannot move and alerts everyone that the ball is about to be put into play. Now, this isn't necessary if, for instance, we are going the length of the court with no pressure.
- I'm not, and never have been, a fan of blowing the whistle for a lot of things (other than fouls, violations, etc.) to include bringing in subs.

I seem to have rambled a bit, but no I don't blow the whistle for every inbound play.
I agree 100% with this.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
After a time out that is to followed by a throw in, I'm sure that all of us blow the whistle before putting the ball in play.

How about when the time out is followed by a foul shot?

Citations for NFHS mechanics and IAABO mechanics please.
I blow my whistle in this instance as well.